HELP! in choosing a DW location!

OK! just when my FI and I thought that we had our location set at the Maya Riviera in Mexico, Iberostar Lin do resort, I am having second thoughts!

I love the all inclusive thing, and that it is family friendly, but as I am starting to ask questions to the BC I am not getting any type of info on questions that I have unless it is something that is written out on the brochure already.

I want to have a private reception and I guess it isn't that big of a deal but It is just the beginning of the planning and I don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I want to set a date, but there is no contract, and they quoted prices but they have gone up already and it has only been a month so far!

I wanted Bahama's but knocked it out because the ceremony was too much, but now the new quote I am getting from MR is just as high. And you have to jump through hoops to get married there. I didn't want to plan on staying there 4 days prior to get married. My travel agent suggested getting married legally here and then just dong a renewal of vows there, but i hate lying to my family and they are having a hard enough time with the wedding not being here.

So I guess to make a long story short, I want an opinion, stick w/ MR, regardless of the ill feelings I am having? Research Bahama's all- inclusive? Or ST Thomas All inclusive? Thoughts from brides that are getting married in these places and why they chose them?

Thank you so much!

I am getting married in Jamaica. I, too, have doubts every now and then. There are very few brides on here who are getting married at Beaches Boscobel so that limits my information. I dont have any suggestions for you, but good luck. Surely someone on here can help with the locations you are interested in.

We were going to legally get married here and then do the wedding in Mexico, which is ok- I just hate lying to our families, we were going to go ahead with that, and as the plans start and they read the info on weddings they got suspicious, and upset. So we are leaning toward not doing that.

Does St Thomas have an AI resort that is reputable? Or the bahama's?

a lot of Carribean Islands have AI' specifically Sandals that I know of. I don't really understand why your families would be upset about you getting legally married at home? I would say a majority of girls (and guys) on this forum did that.

Your issues with the resort is a whole other issue, if you are concerned you need to bring up your concerns with the WC there and if they can't give you the answers you need, I would recommend hiring an outside WC or consider another resort.

Thanks for your advice, I wanted to do a Sandals and the only thing is that the kids are not allowed, I didn't want to do a beaches next door and have them get a day pass. I figure if they are there for the week to spend our wedding with us I would like them to enjoy time with us on the same resort, not have to worry about getting a day pass. Ugh. So much to think about. I feel like I am starting at square one again!

FI and I are going to be legally married at city hall, and then have a symbolic marriage in RM. Personally, I see a lot of advantages in the sense that we don't have to worry about any mess-ups with paperwork, no need for blood tests (ick!), etc.

That being said, we aren't lying to our families. We aren't advertising anything, but if they ask we'll tell them. We are making it an absolute no big deal. Not even going so far as to have dinner, etc. Its a formality - NOT our wedding.

That solves a variety of your issues. But I can understand not wanting to go that route either. That's a personal decision and while there are lots of threads with this theme that can give you insight into other people's decisions, ultimately it is about what you want.

Now, on the cost front, there are a variety of things I can suggest. First, enlist the help of a good TA. They have so much more bargaining power than you do and they can keep costs (particularly rooms) down. I believe Tammy (host) does this, and everyone loves her. I have my own who I can only rave about. If you'd like her info, PM me and I'll forward it your way.

Other options - call a few other hotels. There are some really affordable ones. Then use the chance that you'll switch as leverage. But seriously? Call them - makes all the difference - you're now a voice with a personality, not just words on a screen.

Hope that helps. And good luck!!!

Thanks so much for your input. I was talking to FI last night and he was saying how he thought it was funny I didn't complete the p/w to set the date yet. He actually was the one that said, there is something not sitting right with you, you have to listen to your gut. I then told him about some of my reservations, I am usually the type that sees what they want and does it right away, I thought that is how I would feel for this, but I wasn't. So that told me right there- I have to do what my gut is telling me. So now we are going to research Bahama's and also St Thomas. Which is what I was leaning toward in the first place. Lets see how it goes.

Good thing is I called my TA and she was awesome about the entire thing! She was not upset that she got all that info for me and I changed my mind. She actually agreed with me that it would be more difficult path to take considering what she knows about me and what I want. So that is reassuring.

Now I have to decide on an island. Bahama's / St Thomas? HHHMMM

I absolutely understand your frustration! I will tell you that I originally chose to have our wedding at the Iberostar Lindo and ended up cancelling our event. My sister and I took a trip in October and found out that they were not really willing to work with me on having a private reception on the beach. They told me I was only allowed to stick to the option of having a reception at one of the venues on the property.

I loved the resort, but I was dissapointed that they wouldn't work with me at all. I did see a wedding on the beach that was beautiful! It all depends on what you want. I hope this helps.

I just wanted to put my two cents in regarding getting legally married at home before going away for your wedding.

That's exactly what me and my Fiance are doing. We're not saying a word to anyone about what we're doing, but if it comes up and someone asks, we're not going to lie. The way we've chosen to handle it, is to never use the word 'married', or 'wedding' when we describe it. We're going to make it sound like paperwork. "Oh mom, it's so great, we're able to do all the necessary paper work and legal techicalities at home, and avoid the hassles of doing it in Mexico".

Saying some words infront of a JP and signing a piece of paper is NOT your wedding. If you adopt that mentality, you're family should too, and they'll understand.

Honestly, it's silly to jump through all those hoops to have a wedding legally recognized in a foreign country; what matters it to have it legally recognized at home.

We're getting married in Puerto Vallarta by the way! Not powder white beaches, but a beautiful place none the less!!

Good luck