Jump to content

Photo

Question for photographers- how do I learn Photoshop?


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 rodent

rodent

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

    Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
    When you're ready, "actions" are the next step. Creating your own and/or purchasing some from photoshop experts. I couldn't live without them!

    I don't know what actions are, but I plan to google it ASAP.

    OK, I've googled. Sounds so cool. Thanks for the tip! I will definitly be getting some actions eventually!

    Are they like macros? I haven't experimented with macros yet.

    Its so great having photographers on this forum!

    #22 nathanielthompsonphoto

    nathanielthompsonphoto
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,213 posts

      Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Morgan
      I don't know what actions are, but I plan to google it ASAP.

      OK, I've googled. Sounds so cool. Thanks for the tip! I will definitly be getting some actions eventually!

      Are they like macros? I haven't experimented with macros yet.

      Its so great having photographers on this forum!
      Yeah, its just a way to record a set of enhancements you've done to a photo. Then you can "play" it on any other photo you want with the click of a button - and not have to repeat all the steps one by one. Other photoshop experts have created some incredible actions that you can purchase and down load. Let me know if you want me to point you in the direction of some of my favorites.

      #23 rodent

      rodent

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

        Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
        Yeah, its just a way to record a set of enhancements you've done to a photo. Then you can "play" it on any other photo you want with the click of a button - and not have to repeat all the steps one by one. Other photoshop experts have created some incredible actions that you can purchase and down load. Let me know if you want me to point you in the direction of some of my favorites.
        yes, please point me to your favorites.

        #24 nathanielthompsonphoto

        nathanielthompsonphoto
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,213 posts

          Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Morgan
          yes, please point me to your favorites.
          Kevin Kubota is awesome!

          also try Totally Rad Actions

          They have examples of what the actions will do on their sites. Its more $ on top of the steep CS3 price you already paid, but I use a few of their actions on every wedding and e-session that I edit!

          #25 rodent

          rodent

            VIP Member

          • VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

            Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
            Kevin Kubota is awesome!

            also try Totally Rad Actions

            They have examples of what the actions will do on their sites. Its more $ on top of the steep CS3 price you already paid, but I use a few of their actions on every wedding and e-session that I edit!
            i got a great student deal on photoshop.

            thanks for the links. I'll definitly check them out.

            #26 rodent

            rodent

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

              Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
              Kevin Kubota is awesome!

              also try Totally Rad Actions

              They have examples of what the actions will do on their sites. Its more $ on top of the steep CS3 price you already paid, but I use a few of their actions on every wedding and e-session that I edit!
              These are so cool! I might get the Kevin Kubota basic package. I'm going to get some free downloads first & play with them. I could see this saving so much time. I have been doing everything manually. It was good because I learned a lot about photoshop that way, but I'm ready for shortcuts.

              Do you know if you can put it on multiple computers? I photoshop at work & home.

              #27 lhc007

              lhc007
              • Newbie
              • 28 posts

                Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

                I'm actually studying Graphic Design and find that the Visual Quickstart Guides are the best referance - very visual and the steps are explained very well. The books only run for about $20.00 - I still keep mine as I often go back!
                Create with Passion

                #28 nathanielthompsonphoto

                nathanielthompsonphoto
                • Sr. Member
                • 1,213 posts

                  Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:40 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Morgan
                  These are so cool! I might get the Kevin Kubota basic package. I'm going to get some free downloads first & play with them. I could see this saving so much time. I have been doing everything manually. It was good because I learned a lot about photoshop that way, but I'm ready for shortcuts.

                  Do you know if you can put it on multiple computers? I photoshop at work & home.
                  Yep! I'm pretty sure you can. You just down load the file, and then I think you can copy it as many times as you want to as many computers as you want. I have the artistic pack vol. 1 and love it. My favorites are chocolate syrup 1 and fuji snapit! Just awesome! Let me know how it works out!

                  #29 rodent

                  rodent

                    VIP Member

                  • VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

                    Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto
                    Yep! I'm pretty sure you can. You just down load the file, and then I think you can copy it as many times as you want to as many computers as you want. I have the artistic pack vol. 1 and love it. My favorites are chocolate syrup 1 and fuji snapit! Just awesome! Let me know how it works out!
                    I'm already hooked! I downloaded some free ones from here today black and white photoshop actions

                    I still need to get a little more experienced with CS3, but I do like the way the pictures turned out. I'll post them.

                    #30 rodent

                    rodent

                      VIP Member

                    • VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

                      Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

                      Preface: I've only had CS3 for a week and during that time I've been too busy photoshopping my friends onto fancy backgrounds with a green screen to start learning some real stuff.

                      I need to learn more about levels to do these actions right, but I can already see they will be incredibly useful.

                      OK pros, don't judge. Maybe don't look directly at my pictures. Just squint at it.

                      Original snapshot
                      Click the image to open in full size.

                      Boring old black & white with no actions
                      Click the image to open in full size.

                      action 1
                      Click the image to open in full size.

                      action 2-totally didn't get the levels part right, need to redo it

                      Action 3- don't think this is the right effect for this picture.
                      Click the image to open in full size.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users