Is anyone walking theirself down the aisle?

Hey I'm just curious if any of the brides are walking down the aisle alone? I really don't have anyone that I truly want to "give me away" and I'm totally fine with walking my self down the aisle, but I already know I'm going to have to hear it from family members that I shouldn't do that. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position, and how you are handling opinionated family members.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to walk myself as well. My dad can't be there, and even if he was there I felt that I was a grown woman who did not need someone to "give me away." By the time we get married, my FI and I will have been together for 6 years and living together for 5. We were paying for our own wedding.

We talked about him meeting me halfway down the aisle and walking to the alter together. It would be beautiful and symbolic. We also talked about walking down the aisle together, but my FI would miss that "ahhh" moment of seeing me walk down the aisle. My sister, however, just got married and did the same thing herself. She said that walk can be a lonely walk and wish she would have asked my mom. I have since asked my mom. Do not worry about what your family says. It is your wedding, your life, and I still think it would be empowering to walk yourself. I mean you and your FI probably found each other on your own, decided to get married on your own, so I think it is very symbolic to make that walk alone together as well.

I like your idea of him meeting you half way.. I walked down the pathway to the ceremony site and my parents got up and met me behind the guest chairs.. they both walked me down. My mom wasn't very excited about this idea, but my dad and I don't have a great relationship and I really didn't want just him to walk me down.

Thanks ladies. My father will be there, but we don't have a good relationship at all so I just feel it would be fake to have him "give me away" and I thought about asking my mom b/c we are close, but then I thought that would just make the fact that my dad isn't walking with me even more akward. I really like the idea of FI meeting me half way! We have been together for 8 years (we met in freshman year of college) and we both really feel like this day is only about us b/c the ceremony is going to happen regardless of whoever else is there. Thanks again!

I'm walking myself, and as it looks right now, not having any attendants.

Chris feels bad because no one from my side is walking me. He said his dad can walk me down, which is super sweet of him, but ah, not the point, lol. I told him not to worry about it, I would prefer to do it on my own.

Plus the fact that my would-be MOH just bailed on coming down, so now out of the people that ARE coming, I'm not close enough to anyone for them to stand up with me. Chris said just pick one. I'm like no thanks. It has to have meaning for me.

*shrug*

Again I must say that its amazing that so many of us have the same issues & dilemmas. I too am trying to figure out what I'm going to do & its either me walking down by myself or maybe with my mom. The only thing is that I think I want my mom to see me coming down the aisle too. I figure I don't want her to miss out on that. So I basically left it up to her & we'll play it by ear. I do like the idea of FI meeting me too. That would be pretty cool.

But definitely don't worry about what your relatives say, like you said its all about you two, not them.

Hi everyone,

My DH and I have been together 7 years and living together for 5 . I have a 10 year old son from a previous relationship, who my DH raises with me as his OWN son. So my son is going to walk me down the aisle. I'm definitely gonna need water-proof mascara on this day!!