School Official's Wife Flips Out on Student

starchild

Listen:

YouTube - Snow Day in Fairfax Virginia Schools

No-Snow-Day Question Gets Frosty Answer

WASHINGTON (AP) — A student who called a school official's home to ask why the snow hadn't closed schools got a frosty response — and created an online storm.

Last Thursday, the student, Devraj "Dave" S. Kori, 17, called the listed home phone number for Dean Tistadt, chief operating officer of Fairfax County, Va., schools, and asked why he hadn't closed schools after an estimated 3 inches of snow fell.

Kori left his name and number, and Tistadt's wife returned the call. She apparently wasn't pleased, judging by her taped message, which Kori posted on a Facebook page.

"How dare you call us at home! If you have a problem with going to school, you do not call somebody's house and complain about it," Candy Tistadt snapped in her message. She also used the phrase "snotty-nosed little brats," and said, "Get over it, kid, and go to school!"

The message was also posted on YouTube. Kori, who attends Lake Braddock Secondary School, did not immediately respond to an e-mail Wednesday.

He told The Washington Post that he thought he had a right to ask a public official for more information about a decision that affected him and other students. He also said his generation viewed privacy differently.

But Fairfax County schools spokesman Paul Regnier told the newspaper that Kori's action showed a gap in civility.

"It's really an issue of kids learning what is acceptable and not acceptable. Any call to a public servant's house is harassment," Regnier said.

Kori told the newspaper he was called into the principal's office to discuss the situation, though he was not punished.

Dean Tistadt told the Post that the incident has been "horrible" for his wife, but he said Kori had courage to stand up for his convictions. Calls to his office on Wednesday were referred to Regnier.

The Associated Press left a message at one Virginia number listed for a Dean Tistadt; there was no answer at another number listed under the same name.

haha well that "school official" is an idiot- don't list your number publicly. My dad was my high school prinicipal. Needless to say our number was unlisted, but from time to time we got prank phone calls, egged, toilet papered, blown up mailboxes, etc.

The wife needs to get used to it, because after all this, I'm sure the students will definitely do some damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Omg Rachel the mailbox got blown up? I hope the kids were caught, the other pranks are bad but that's a dangerous one! Being the kid of the principal must have been tough at times sad.gif
Uh ya. My dad had to expel like 5 students and we "think" it was them. They blew it up with a pipe bomb at like 2AM.

Sometimes it was tough because my dad would make rules that even I was mad at so we would argue at home. Other times I would listen to kids complain about him when they did something wrong and got in trouble. I didn't affect me much. It was nice to have someone to borrow lunch money from. haha

oh I have to chime in here...so my school who never gets out early got out, but let me tell you that the 3 inches turned to rain by the time fairfax would have released their students so my kids were in bigger danger getting to leave at the height of the storm. Fairfax gets out for every little thing and the kids are snotty and bratty for expecting to always get out of school.

For those of you who don't know where I live, Fairfax is the next district to mine, it basically surrounds my district

I think it's hilarious! Especially if the weather conditions were like you said, Christine.

The kid was concerned for his well being, didn't get anywhere with the principal, and went up the chain of command. Publicly listed phone number? Why not?

The wife should have bloody well minded her own business and let her husband do his JOB. Now she's publicly humiliated and it's no one's fault but her own. Posted on facebook. BAAHAHA!

(Oh, and I know what you mean about Fairfax county, my cousins grew up there wink.gif ) Richest county in the States it is wink.gif