Fun ideas for an AHR that's more of a party than a reception

rodent

Our AHR will be in North Carolina at a friend's house. Our family is in Texas, so the AHR is just friends. I want to be really creative with this party. I also want it to have a Mexico theme. Here are my ideas so far. If you think of anything else, I'd love to hear it.

We are making a backdrop (kind of like prom) that looks like a Riviera Maya beach. Then people can take pictures in front of it. I want to have some props too. Maybe a big, beachy hat.

Pinata

I'll have Corona, margaritas, chips/ salsa, and other mexican food (it's my favorite).

I found a wild Mexico shirt at goodwill for mike. It's tommy hilfiger & says "Mexico" brightly all over it with images of Mexico.

Any other ideas of how we can bring the fun of Mexico to our AHF? (After Honeymoon Fiesta)

You could of course play mexican/south american music. You could even hire a mariachi band to play for a while.

For props I would definitely add some maracas, a sarapi, the sombrero, etc.

You might want to set up a tequilla tasting, similar to a wine tasting. This could be expensive, depending on the number of guests. You might also have a little brochure or card that lists the brief history of tequilla and list the brands you have to taste.

Each guest could get a shot glass or margarita glass as a favor.

If the party will be at home or in the back yard, you can string chili pepper lights around. (cheesy but cute)

If you want real mexican food, check into having your favorite local authentic restaurant cater.

Here is the link to the FoodNetwork web site all about fiestas if you want to go for a more upscale feel: Cinco de Mayo Recipes, Margaritas, Fiesta Tips: Holidays : Party Ideas: Food Network Can you say YUM to Kaluha Flan!

Ours was like yours, more of a party than a reception. There are inexpensive scene setters from oriental trading or party stores that will add to the background, like these:

Click the image to open in full size.

Papel picado sets the scene perfectly too...you can make your own or order it from a party store:

Click the image to open in full size.

Also, you can order corona, sol, tecate, or other Mexican beer signs online for relatively cheap (the metal ones, not the electric).

We put small pails of Mexican candy out on the tables, like mango pops, de la rosas, pulparindos, etc. And canels gum, the little square chewing gums.

We hired 2 people to set up a taco stand and cook tacos to order for guests. That was a fun touch and very Mexican.

for our mexico themed couples shower, we have one of those big wooden things with the faces cut out to get pictures with and it looks like you're in a mariachi band. (why am i having the hardest time describing this?)

and of course, the margarita machine.

Great ideas! I love the scene setters from oriental trading for making the background. We had a prom party last year & made a cheesy backdrop for people to take pictures in front of. It was a blast.

I was planning to go to party stores after cinco de mayo & get some dicounted decorations.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm excited to start planning the party now.