Sign in to follow this  
kiahjane

Fun or totally lame?

I've been secretly trying to find out what songs each of our guests danced to as their first dance for their wedding (parents, aunts, siblings & other married couples) and I was going to put them together as the songlist for the DJ to play at dinner as a little surprise... is this a cool idea or is it lame and we'll be listening to a lot of sappy songs at dinner? We'll have about 12-15 married couples there and will just switch over to jazz or something once they are done.

Tami mentioned doing this before. I am planning to do it too. I haven't been keeping it a secret though. I have been asking everyone. A friend actually teared up a little. You can always just say you are trying to figure out what to use for a first dance song so you are wondering what they used to get some ideas.

It has only been hard for my parents because strangely neither of them can remember the name of the song. Unbelievable. Everyone else though I did exactly as pp suggested and just said I was trying to figure out ours.

Yep, I am doing this. I wanted it to be a surprise, but it's been hard to find out, so I am just asking people what their first dance song was (heck, my parents don't even remember). I'm using it as a way to say "Thank You" for attending our DW and to celebrate their marriages. We will make an announcement at the reception to listen for special song throughout the evening b/c we tried to add as many first dance songs from couples weddings who are inattendance as possible.

I think your guests will love it. Everyone who knows what we are doing thinks it's a wonderful idea.

How many times does a married couple REALLY get to dance to their 'first dance' song?

Honestly, I think it's a great idea for all weddings!

I think it's a great idea! I thought about giving each guest a romantic CD in their Welcome Bag. That might be a great way to get some ideas!

Oh, and I am not doing it as a songlist during dinner.

I am doing it as the slow songs during the dance portion of the reception so that each couple has a chance to dance tot their own song again.

I am totally doing this too! I read it in some magazine and totally loved the idea. Here is a tip: an easy way to find out their first dance song is to tell them you are trying to figure out what yours should be, and then casually ask what theirs was :) It works every time!