1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk

1 1/2 cups half-and-half

3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For topping:

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

To make cake:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 F.

Grease with butter and lightly flour bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; whisk to combine and set aside.

In large bowl, beat egg whites at medium-low speed with electric mixer until foamy, gradually increasing to high speed and beating until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes; set aside.

In another large bowl, mix egg yolks and sugar on low speed until well blended.

In a small bowl, stir together milk and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients to sugar mixture in three parts, alternating with milk mixture; mix until smooth. With rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into mixture.

Pour batter into pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.

To make milk soak:

In mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well blended. Using toothpick, prick deep holes in cooled cake at 1-inch intervals. Pour soak mixture slowly and evenly over cake, allowing it to penetrate thoroughly. Cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight for best results.

To make topping:

Shortly before serving, chill bowl in freezer about 15 minutes. Once cold, add heavy cream and beat on low speed about 1 minute. Add sugar and vanilla, and gradually increase speed to high and mix until thick and stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Spread topping over cake and chill.

To serve:

Cut cake into squares, topping with fresh fruit if desired. Makes 12-16 servings.

(recipe from Latina Magazine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounciekat View Post
my favorite! i would love to have this as our wedding cake but i don't know if it's possible...
It was our wedding cake, I'm sure they'll do it if you request it.