Reception advice for Turks and Caicos wedding

JulFalzon

Just thinking a bit more. If you are having the wedding at GBC, a reception at Bay Bistro will involve transport to the location, it's not a reasonable walking distance. I would say have the reception at GBC and if you want to do the beach bbq, do it for the rehearsal dinner or another night. It would vary things for your guests vs doing the rehearsal and reception at GBC.

IMHO, on your wedding day, it's just easier to have the reception near the wedding. You can have the wedding and people can do some photos after and then go get cocktails in case you and your new husband want to do some more beach photos just the two of you and then you can quickly join your guests. (Transport down here can get tricky and expensive for a large group and may not be as timely as you like it so I would stick with one location for the wedding and reception)

Krys

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi tigerlilli...i just remembered Caicos Catering was also great to deal with. they are doing a brunch for us Sunday morning. They're setting it up in our suite, so guest can come by for a low key breakfast. i'm trying to plan a golf outing and a spa (manis and pedis). not having much luck. also if you get a chnace you should visit the island, i accomplished alot went i went down there.

thanks Krys and Ltlhallie, so we are looking into the somerset for wedding day and reception (any thoughts) waiting to hear back from coordinator there, the tuscany and villa renaissance look good too no definite decision yet, we were thinking def a boat cruise, beach bbq for rehearsal, my fiance is Chinese American so we will have to have a small tea ceremony before wedding day (thankfully we already had an engagement ceremony in Ghana so my side of things tradition wise are fulfilled). Fiance saw me reading your message and was excited by the golf idea (thanks lol). I read somewhere that the palms have a nice spa. After all the festivities we want to parasail etc that would be optional for anyone to join us...whew that was long have a lovely day

The Sommerset is a lovely location. Very nice venue. I would email the coordinator again if you haven't heard back, just to make sure she is on top of things. I'll ask hubby about Villa Renaissance and Tuscany as he does a lot of commercial work as well as weddings for the hotels on island and he can give a different perspective. We recently had a Chinese tea ceremony a few months back at the Palms I believe, Ileana (who shot it) said it was a lot of fun.

The Beach BBQ would work well with the Sommerset next door to Bay Bistro...a nice easy walk. Sommerset and the Palms and those resorts are nice for guests as well as they are within walking distance to the Salt Mills shops and restaurants and the Regent Village.

The Palms spa is fabulous. I had a facial there a few weeks back for my birthday....very pampered. And a gorgeous setting as well. We have great spas on the island and it is one of the best! It definitely is a top choice in the Grace Bay area.

The golf course isn't that far away, the course is tough but fair. Depending on the time of the year, some of the lakes there have flamingos which is cool. Parasailing is easily arranged at the resort, so no worries there. Your main decision for the boat cruise is choosing between Sail Provo and Atabeyra. Both are nice boats (and I know both owners who are equally nice people) so you can check schedules and see what works.

Here's a link to the blog post of the wedding Ileana did and they had a boat cruise on Atabeyra to see a bit of the boat. This wedding was at the Palms.

http://blog.tropicalimaging.com/2009...er-and-nathan/

Cheers,

Krys

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the opening-this-weekend Gansevoort Wymara. We're having our wedding there in early April and they have been awesome to work with. The place is beyond beautiful, I was there in January and totally fell in love with it.

Hi! I'm getting married in T&C in July also...When in July are you getting married? We have guests staying at the Sands and Point Grace. Our reception is at Grace's Cottage. I've been working with NILA. They are great to work with! I heard Bay Bistro is very good! Not sure what restaurants are near The Sands..Good Luck!

Hi Tigerlilli - things are good. we're just chugging along! we looked at Somerset, it's a beautiful hotel, it was out of hte price range for our guests, so we stuck with The Sands. We were also trying to keep our reception and hotel close to each other, coordinating transportation was kind of difficult and the taxis there are not regulated and they all charge different prices for the same trip. so we wanted all our events to be within walking distance. we also wanted to stay close to the Salt Mills shops, which has some good restaurants and an Irish bar that is open to 4am! (we have alot of guest who are single and in their early 30's) When we took the trip down, we wanted everything to be convenient for our guest. All your hotel choices are beautiful you can't go wrong! good luck! let me know if you have any other questions! have you found a dress yet? that's what i'm having problems with.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Imaging View Post
Just thinking a bit more. If you are having the wedding at GBC, a reception at Bay Bistro will involve transport to the location, it's not a reasonable walking distance. I would say have the reception at GBC and if you want to do the beach bbq, do it for the rehearsal dinner or another night. It would vary things for your guests vs doing the rehearsal and reception at GBC.

IMHO, on your wedding day, it's just easier to have the reception near the wedding. You can have the wedding and people can do some photos after and then go get cocktails in case you and your new husband want to do some more beach photos just the two of you and then you can quickly join your guests. (Transport down here can get tricky and expensive for a large group and may not be as timely as you like it so I would stick with one location for the wedding and reception)

Krys
I just found this thread and it did answer some of my questions..thanks ladies! I'm also considering The Sands for ceremony and Bay Bistro for reception and I'm glad that the two places are very close to each other. Grace Bay Club is our first choice but it might not allow us to bring the 2 children in our group to the dinner reception. The girl that I'm talking to right now has mentioned that the manager sometimes makes exceptions for group events but should I take the chance?