E-Ring stolen from safe in Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 jmhein

• 665 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Here is an article in the Toronto Sun about this bride. She is certainly doing a good job of spreading the word and warning others of her experience!
    TorontoSun.com - Toronto And GTA - Bride's $25Gs ring stolen
    ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23

My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

#22 LisaG

• VIP Member
    • 7,839 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

Oh such bad memories are coming back to me!!!

#23 DanielleNDerek

• VIP Member
      • 18,452 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

OMG would an awful story. I'm getting married in the DR, now i'm getting scared.
        ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
        Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
        Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#24 LisaG

• VIP Member
        • 7,839 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek
          OMG would an awful story. I'm getting married in the DR, now i'm getting scared.
          It is very scary. You just have to use your head when traveling out of the country when it comes to your personal belongings like cash, credit cards, passports, $25k rings, etc..... DO NOT USE YOUR SAFE FOR THESE ITEMS. SECURITY/HOTEL PERSONNAL KNOW HOW TO GET INTO THE SAFES - - AND THEY WILL!!!!

#25 JenniferSS

• Banned
          • 1,047 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

I really have to reiterate about what Dina said- do not take expensive jewelry with you! Even if you have insurance why would you want to chance it? Theft happens everywhere unfortunately and if you bring items of great value into a poor country you are tempting fate.

I do feel really bad for that poor girl but no matter where you travel you must always use common sense and realize that you are a guest in their country and subject to their legal system which ususlly runs quite a bit differently than ours!

TA Jennifer

#26 TammyB

• 10,630 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

All I have to say is "GET INSURANCE" I made a point to make sure my insurance would cover my rings before I set foot on the plane. And I made sure it would be covered if it was lost or stolen..

THere has been brides all along complain that either them or a guest of theirs had something stolen out of their safe (members of this forum had it happen to them) So with that said, you just have to use some common sense about the whole thing.. Yes your E-Ring can't be replaced, even more so if it was handed down to you. But if it's insured then at least you can try to recreate it and your not out the $$$

#27 AmyInMI

• 547 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

Lisa, I thought about you guys right away!!

Of course I feel bad for this bride, but why the hell would you put your $25K E-ring in your safe? I just like how she stated "I feel like my rights were taken away" or something along that line... They were taken away the minute you stepped foot in the DR!! It is a 3rd world country for crying out loud, you think you will have the same rights you do while in Canada? No!!

And why wouldn't you stay there a few more days to get things cleared up, even if it cost you another $2000 if it meant showing the resort you were not giving up and getting your $25K ring back!

Just my 2 cents!
                Amy & Aaron
                May 10, 2008
                Dreams Tulum, Riviera Maya, Mexico

#28 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
                • 11,659 posts
                • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

there have been other complaints about this resort...i don't really push them because of customer service issues.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
                Awards and recognition: 
                Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
                Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
                Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#29 Opice34

• 414 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

Holy cow!!!! That should be posted on TripAdvisor too! What a horrible experience!

And yes, that's an expensive ring, but that doesn't even matter! It's the principle of the whole thing that is ridiculous!!

I'm confused about her "rights as a citizen". Is she from the DR??

#30 twinkletoes

• 2,302 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Opice34
                    I'm confused about her "rights as a citizen". Is she from the DR??
                    From the article, from my understanding, she is from Canada. I'm assuming she's referring more to 'civil rights' maybe.
                    2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users