***TTD (Trash the Dress) Thread - please post all of your questions here!

I merged about 30 threads that were discussing either the same thing, or variations of the same thing. Please use THIS thread to post all of your TTD questions/concerns.

If you want to post a thread about that dress that you bought to trash, or your photos once they are done - those certainly deserve their own threads!!

Thanks!

Carly

I have a few questions about TTD. I would LOVE to have pictures of us jumping in the ocean/pool but am a bit concerned. I don't want to actually ruin my dress but it's taffeta so I think this is inevitable when it comes to water right? I also don't want to do it and then have the dress sit in the hot, humid climate of the Caribbean for two weeks to have it cleaned. So i'm curious what you all are doing.

Are you just going to toss/donate your dress in the Caribbean?

Try to have it cleaned before you leave?

Leave it till you get home?

I got my actual dress off ebay for only $340 (retails for $850!) - so it's not like i'm throwing away money if I do ruin it. And I don't really know why I don't want to ruin it since it'll be stored and never used again (though I did see a cute idea where you have your kids picture taken in it every year). I'm just torn right now.

Yeah, the problem for me and buying another dress is that I already have TWO! haha. I bought another one from the same ebay seller for $180 (again, retails for over $850) - both were sample gowns and they were no longer going to carry the designers. The second one i'm using for the AHR - except that i'm going to cut the skirt off and make it knee length. But since it HAS to be in good conditions for the receptions after, I really can NOT ruin it. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlergray View Post
Anyone know about how satin holds up in the water?
I don't know but I was told by one dress sales-lady to not get taffeta or satin anywhere near water. I guess it leaves "stains" or water marks - but does it matter if the WHOLE dress gets wet?! and does it come out with cleaning is an even better question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJT1985 View Post
I don't know but I was told by one dress sales-lady to not get taffeta or satin anywhere near water. I guess it leaves "stains" or water marks - but does it matter if the WHOLE dress gets wet?! and does it come out with cleaning is an even better question...
Yes those are better questions!!smile35.gifsmile35.gif

So now dose anyone know the answers to these questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcz0702 View Post
I wore my wedding dress for our TTD and we did it in a cenote and it came out much cleaner then it was prior to "trashing" it. I then just put it in the shower and it came out clean.
which cenote did you guys use? Were there a lot of other people around? What time did you do the TTD shoot?

I spoke with a photog that has done many TTD sessions and she said that the only thing that really truly ruins a dress is burning or tearing it...neither of which I'm probably willing to do!

Maybe you could call around to a few dry cleaners and ask them for their expert opinions on how well satin cleans-up after submersion in water? That might be helpful in deciding what you want to do...

And there is always the option of finding a dirt-cheap dress just for the TTD session. I just got a dress on ebay for $75, making me another 3 DRESS BRIDE (I also have a regular gown for the ceremony, and a shorter dress for the reception)! I thought it was worth it to avoid any drama over trashing my real dress!

Good luck!