Hepatitis A shot

FYI- I just went to my dr yesterday and told her we were planning a cabo wedding in April. She recommended the Hep. A shot for anyone traveling to Mexico or the Caribbean. It is a 2 shot series 1 now and 1 six months later. She said it protects against Hep A. which is passed from (fecal matter) people not washing there hands properly. She said even if you are staying at a 5 star resort it is highly recommended due to workers that are preparing your food. I know it is disgusting but I decided to play it safe. She said it is worse than montazumas revenge.

when I brought our daughter to the doctor he said she should get it, so she's had her first one, but when I called our doctor they said we didn't need anything, just another thing to add to my list of why I hate my doctor!! Its too late for us now, we won't have time for the second dose before we leave, but thanks for the heads up!

I'm not sure about in the U.S., but in Canada they provide the shots in the school system. So, when I was in grade twelve I got all of my shots updated (hep shots, meningitus etc) and provided for me at my school. Anyways, the nurse told me they last a long time... for some reason I'm thinking 5 or 9 years. Either way, I'm in the clear. But if you don't have your shots - definately get it. It's better to be safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini_Bride View Post
I'm not sure about in the U.S., but in Canada they provide the shots in the school system. So, when I was in grade twelve I got all of my shots updated (hep shots, meningitus etc) and provided for me at my school. Anyways, the nurse told me they last a long time... for some reason I'm thinking 5 or 9 years. Either way, I'm in the clear. But if you don't have your shots - definately get it. It's better to be safe than sorry!
Umm.. are you sure about that Courtney. I had to get a Twinrix shot which is for A and B together, before I went to Thailand and it lasts forever. My DR said no matter what we got in highschool, the shots have changed and I should get this one. Its free, so ask your DR if you can get it. Its 3 shots, and I have a huge fear of needles, but its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesr View Post
Umm.. are you sure about that Courtney. I had to get a Twinrix shot which is for A and B together, before I went to Thailand and it lasts forever. My DR said no matter what we got in highschool, the shots have changed and I should get this one. Its free, so ask your DR if you can get it. Its 3 shots, and I have a huge fear of needles, but its worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesr View Post
I just realised that you are 10 years younger than me, smile43.gif lol, so maybe you are fine. I had to get the Twinrix though, so other Canadian brides who are not youngins like Courtney, ask your DR. about it.
Haha, ya I graduated 4 years ago. blush2.gif lol. So they last forever?? I thought they had to be updated every bunch of years (like I said - for some reason 5 years or 9 years stick in my head).

Quote:
Haha, ya I graduated 4 years ago. lol. So they last forever?? I thought they had to be updated every bunch of years (like I said - for some reason 5 years or 9 years stick in my head).
I know that the Twinrix shot lasts forever, but I have no idea about just Hep A.

Quote:
Courtney they only provide Hep B and Hep c in our school systems, at least in Ontario, better check with you doctor. I just had all 7 of us vaccinated, a couple of weeks ago. I was also under the impression my kids were covered but I was wrong, good thing I asked, I phoned health Canada, then doubled checked with my doctor, I was told, nope the school does not cover them, they had not had the hep A shots. It is also not covered unless your private ins. covers it. Please check Courtney I would hate to think you thought you had protection and actually didn't.

Kelly`

Kelly~