Trying Not to Be Mad at Photog...Please Help Me Put Things In Perspective!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits55 View Post
Morgan and Dmitri: the res on most photos are around 2300 x 2230 or so. It still seems a bit on the small side but I guess we could always ask him later if we wanted to get a really large print. Thanks for the resolution info!
that is on the small side. You can't go much bigger than 11x14 without using something to up the resolution. Might want to see if he saves your files so you could get a large print in the future. You can also print lower res on canvas than a regular print.

His intention might be that you can only print 8x10s with your disc and you need to order larger from him. but, I'd check with him. I'm just guessing.

Hopefully he can remove the effect on all of your images. I wouldn't be happy with black water. I wanted my skies as blue as they really were on our wedding day. I don't care for the washed out look or the ultra saturated look.

I don't think it's too much to ask for processing similar to the style on his website and at least one picture from the main events (if he took them). Photographers will have something in their contract usually to protect them if a shot is missed. That way people can't ask for money back if they didn't get a picture of a certain aunt, etc. And sometimes something is just missed. But if he did take the picture and maybe it just wasn't perfect you probably still want it. The sparklers sound like a prime photo opportunity & people often just do stuff like that for the cool pictures.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
that is on the small side. You can't go much bigger than 11x14 without using something to up the resolution. Might want to see if he saves your files so you could get a large print in the future. You can also print lower res on canvas than a regular print.

His intention might be that you can only print 8x10s with your disc and you need to order larger from him. but, I'd check with him. I'm just guessing.

Hopefully he can remove the effect on all of your images. I wouldn't be happy with black water. I wanted my skies as blue as they really were on our wedding day. I don't care for the washed out look or the ultra saturated look.

I don't think it's too much to ask for processing similar to the style on his website and at least one picture from the main events (if he took them). Photographers will have something in their contract usually to protect them if a shot is missed. That way people can't ask for money back if they didn't get a picture of a certain aunt, etc. And sometimes something is just missed. But if he did take the picture and maybe it just wasn't perfect you probably still want it. The sparklers sound like a prime photo opportunity & people often just do stuff like that for the cool pictures.
haha, the sparklers were just that! A prime photo opp and that's exactly why I did it!! I wanted to use the 4 minute sparklers and have our guests stand around us during our first dance but that was not possible without paying an arm and a leg to get them to Mexico. My WC was able to find pretty decent sparklers at the last minute which was awesome so we used them for our entrance into the reception. The package photog was ALSO there and did not give us any of the sparkler pictures otherwise I wouldn't mind as much about the missing sparkler pics...we did totally just use them for awesome pictures :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits55 View Post
Morgan and Dmitri: the res on most photos are around 2300 x 2230 or so. It still seems a bit on the small side but I guess we could always ask him later if we wanted to get a really large print. Thanks for the resolution info!
5mp is not too bad. Just a bit low by today's standards. I used to provide 6mp in 2004-2005. Most photo labs are able to upsize them. You only need 1200x1800pix to print a 4x6.
Without digitally up-sizing, the biggest print you can do with your photos is 5x7...
Just curious if that photographer was paid? I've heard of some who would do a free wedding,deliver small resolution files and then offer bigger files and other services for a higher fee. If you did not pay your photographer, I think you should be thankful you got some images at all. All the stories I hear about that are crazy!

Good luck!

we had about 1600 photos that were given to us on a cd starting from getting ready to the reception. Only about 200-300 were edited the rest were the raw. But that was part of our contract with our photog.

Quote:
Did you ask why you didn't get music? was it on your contract that the slideshow would be set to music?

Photographers need to use royalty free music, but a lot don't. People are getting more serious about the music laws and a lot of photographers have stopped adding music to slideshows or their website.

They can purchase royalty free music, though. it just won't be a song you alredy know. Any time you hear popular music on a website or slideshow, it's likely not legal. In some cases they were able to get a license from the artist. Typically they did not.
thanks, that is pretty much what he explained. I understand he can't risk his business. I just didn't expect it. They recently stopped adding it. Do you know of any good songs that are royalty free- where would I look

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail View Post
thanks, that is pretty much what he explained. I understand he can't risk his business. I just didn't expect it. They recently stopped adding it. Do you know of any good songs that are royalty free- where would I look

Thanks
You can add any music you want to your own slideshow. It's personal use. The photographer would need to use royalty free music. Triple scoop music is a good place to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine View Post
5mp is not too bad. Just a bit low by today's standards. I used to provide 6mp in 2004-2005. Most photo labs are able to upsize them. You only need 1200x1800pix to print a 4x6.
Without digitally up-sizing, the biggest print you can do with your photos is 5x7...
Just curious if that photographer was paid? I've heard of some who would do a free wedding,deliver small resolution files and then offer bigger files and other services for a higher fee. If you did not pay your photographer, I think you should be thankful you got some images at all. All the stories I hear about that are crazy!

Good luck!
Dmitri, you being a photog I have a question that I am going to PM about also regarding my photog.

In my mind a high res photo would be capable of printing off 11 x14 or 8x10 and that is kind of what I expected. I did not know enough ahead of time to bargain for exact sizes unfortunately. To me a 5 x7 is way too small. He actually sent me some of the pictures ahead of time, as teasers back in May and I tried to get them printed online by Target. No matter what I did (I was printing 5 x 7s) it just kept saying Warning! Image resolution is low! I will be so annoyed if that comes up every single I want to print an image. Our photog has written a release form stating that we can print off any and all of the pictures he gave us as long as it's not for commercial use.

We didn't pay our photog directly, excluding the $500 deposit to save the date. Which now he doesn't want to let us use. We DID however pay for him to stay at the resort for 5 night, his assistant to stay for 4 nights, their ground transportation and we paid for private transfers so it was only them and they didn't have to make stops at other resorts along the way, and their airfare. We paid extra for the assistant's flight to get her a flight that was direct and our photog wanted to leave as early as possible and be on the same flight from Dallas so that's what we did. I think that we have been very accommodating (he asked for us to pay him for an extra night). We did also get the free engagement photo session but because we had already done ours I used it for a BD session instead. The crux of our agreement was that he would shoot Friday night, just a few, very casual, Saturday from getting ready to the end of the reception, and a Sunday morning TTD session. In addition we would get high res CDs of the images.

So, I guess to answer your question, he did not get directly paid but he trying to get us to buy a copy of our album for him.

Quote:
You can add any music you want to your own slideshow. It's personal use. The photographer would need to use royalty free music. Triple scoop music is a good place to buy it.
thnaks,

I can't add anything cause it's a link i use to view slideshow. I can't do anything to it. I miss I couild- for personal use- just us and family- but i can't

Update to my earlier photographer situation:

He emailed me back today and I'm pretty disappointed with his lack of concrete response to my questions. I asked him how many pictures they took and he said "a lot!". He did say he will check on the total number later on but who knows if he'll remember to do that.

I also asked him if I could view and pick out some of the unedited photos in order to "fill in the holes" and he just responded that the sparkler pictures did not turn out the way he was hoping they would. (so, I still want them!).

He did say he would give us the unmodified versions of the pictures on our CD but that it will take a lot of time. He agreed to do this because we are buying his album in addition to our album. Now I feel TRULY stuck in having to purchase an album from him.

He wants me to pick a cover photo and make one or two substitutions but after looking at all of the pictures on the CD there are more like 20 substitutions that I would make. This is what he wrote in the latest email regarding this: " We should choose a photo for the cover of the album. Beyond that, were there any other changes? I don't want to mess with it too much, obviously, but if there is a pic or two you'd like to replace, that would be fine. Other than that, it's pretty much ready to go."

I know that tones cannot be heard through emails but it sounds like he still wants the album the way it is for his purposes (because it was his first DW) and not for my happiness.

I'm not sure what to respond at this point because I'm happy that we will get our photos in regular color BUT I still want the unedited photos of things that are important to me.

I am horrible at "professional and courteous" correspondence as I prefer to say it how I mean it. That is not always the best tactic so I'm hoping some of you will have some advice on how to get the point across that in way shape or form am I willing to not receive copies of the unedited photos. That is my number one priority. I can deal with making only a few changes to the album as long as I get my way with the unedited photos.

Sorry so long but I hope someone out there has some experience with negotiations! :)