Gift Giving Traditions - Posted on Friend's Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride2be View Post
If I were in your situation (don't even like her and hadn't talked in 5 years) I would not feel compelled to send a gift. (just my thoughts)
Oh... I will not - especially now. Like I said, if she was a good friend (or even an OK friend!) I probably would send something nice her way... but even then, I like to try to be more thoughtful than follow the registry! ( I know, I'm a bad guest!). I can't believe that! UGH! Just makes me so mad! lol. I will especially not send a gift now, and if I send something... it'll be a card I happened to pick up while grocery shopping - that's it! :P HA! In her face!!

Are you really expected to give a gift if you don't go?! Yes, I know it's tacky for her to post this on her website... but if she didn't, would I have been expected to give her something even though I'm not going??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAENJAY View Post
I'm gonna agree - totally tacky! Why doesn't she just post a list of

Aunt Sue - Buy me a TV
Uncle Bill - You'll get us a new washer

It's almost the same thing. And it's not like you can't return something if you don't like what people have given you. It's supposed to be the thought that counts.
That cracked me up, Stephanie!

I agree- VERY TACKY!!!

Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini_Bride View Post
Oh... I will not - especially now. Like I said, if she was a good friend (or even an OK friend!) I probably would send something nice her way... but even then, I like to try to be more thoughtful than follow the registry! ( I know, I'm a bad guest!). I can't believe that! UGH! Just makes me so mad! lol. I will especially not send a gift now, and if I send something... it'll be a card I happened to pick up while grocery shopping - that's it! :P HA! In her face!!

Are you really expected to give a gift if you don't go?! Yes, I know it's tacky for her to post this on her website... but if she didn't, would I have been expected to give her something even though I'm not going??
Ok, so I might be new to planning a wedding, but I have become an EXPERT at attending them. First of all, the bride and groom aren't suppose to expect gifts from the people who attend the wedding, let alone people who don't come! Attending the wedding and sharing in the couple's special day is suppose to be enough! Obviously I am not advocating going to weddings and not bringing gifts, but I think it's a little bit different to tell people they better bring their "A" game and not waste their money on toasters!

Second, the balls on this girl to "expect" anything from people who aren't even going! You are absolutely NOT required to send a gift if you don't go the wedding! It is completely up to you and it's REDICULOUS that she is telling her guests she expects a gift... why doesnt she just tell people who was invited for the gift and who was invited because she wanted them there?!?!

And now I must sign off... I could go on forever (selfish people bother me) but FI will be home in approximately 5 minutes and I have to try to make it look like I've been studying all afternoonsmile72.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAENJAY View Post
I'm gonna agree - totally tacky! Why doesn't she just post a list of

Aunt Sue - Buy me a TV
Uncle Bill - You'll get us a new washer

It's almost the same thing. And it's not like you can't return something if you don't like what people have given you. It's supposed to be the thought that counts.

HA!rofl.gif
That is great!

How self-involved would you have to be to put rules on gift giving?

I cannot help but wonder what her mother thinks of this. I agree, she is ballsy. Court, write her a note and tell her how you feel. Talk about TPT!

You know, we should have a "Ms. Manners for the forum". Good taste and manners never go out of style!

Lizzy

I agree - this is unbelievably tacky! I can't believe she actually has a line on her own website that says, "*If you receive an invitation, even if you can't attend the wedding, it is expected you will send a gift." I mean that is so uncouth - it's like demanding gifts from people.

I have to admit that if I was invited and was planning ojn sending a gift I may reconsider after reading their website! yuck - she's lame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini_Bride View Post
I think it depends if it was a close friend then I think you should give a gift. I don't think it's EXPECTED because no gift should really be expected!

In fact reading this post made me go to MY website and add the following at the top of the Gift Registry page:

"You friendship and love is gift enough. If you can make it to Mexico we will consider that a very special gift - as your company on this special day is the best thing you could give us! Please don't feel like you must send a gift - we are just thankful for having you in our lives."

It still lists out BB&B registry but I don't want people to think they have to buy us a gift! God, i would be SO embarrassed to write what that girl wrote! i think my parents would disown me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride2be View Post
I completely agree...it is very tacky to post something that not to mention greedy! I would question the reason she is even getting married.

If I were in your situation (don't even like her and hadn't talked in 5 years) I would not feel compelled to send a gift. (just my thoughts)
Not to mention that she has not sent you the invite (be thankful), so you are in the clear.

Kelly~