I need some help from some brides that had sunset ceremony's. I want to have my ceremony at sunset, but still allow time for pictures before it gets too dark. Anyone have any advice on what time to start the ceremony? and how much time I should allot for pictures afterwards? Sunset for my date is supposedly at 5:51pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnea View Post
I need some help from some brides that had sunset ceremony's. I want to have my ceremony at sunset, but still allow time for pictures before it gets too dark. Anyone have any advice on what time to start the ceremony? and how much time I should allot for pictures afterwards? Sunset for my date is supposedly at 5:51pm.
Hey there!

Okay, so sunset there is probably not like the sunset you have at home or are picturing...
Basically, the sun sets kind of behind where SMB is... so if you look behind SMB you can see a sunset like you'd expect.
But from where you'll be on the beach -- it's still nice! Don't worry! But it's just that it happens FAST!
I'm at work right now so don't have time, but I can post some pics showing sunset on the beach and behind SMB so you can see what I mean....

In any case (sorry -- feel like I'm rambling:-))... point is -- it happens quickly!
So if the sun is supposed to set at 5:51, I would actually plan your ceremony for well before that...
But what exact time you want it to start all depends on how and when you want your pictures...Also whether you will be having a legal or symbolic ceremony... (the legal one takes a bit longer...)

Many brides (myself included) choose to do bride and groom shots BEFORE a sunset ceremony as it gets dark really quickly... The downside to this of course is that your FI sees you before you walk down the aisle... The upside is, you get better lighting for your pics.

Then, do you want post-ceremony group shots with family and friends...? If so, do you mind if those are dark or do you want it to be sunset in those pictures...? If you want it to look like sunset, you're going to have to start your ceremony even earlier...

So...see where I'm going with this...? Figure out the picture situation then work backwards from there and that's your ceremony start time:-)

e.g - 5:51 sunset time, symbolic ceremony:
4pm -- meet photog for bride and groom shots PRE ceremony (1 hour)
5:15pm - ceremony starts
5:40-ish - ceremony ends (will take longer if it's legal!)
5:45 - group and family shots (still some light left)

Hope this hasn't been too confusing! :-)

Okay -- am now at my home computer!

Here are some pics of what the sunset looks like from behind SMB...

(The first two were taken on the beach just beside SMB in front of the Maroma Resort/Orient Express hotel looking back... The last one was taken from SMB grounds looking back)

Click the image to open in full size.

These next pics were taken from SMB beach at sunset looking out at the water:

And to give you an idea...here's a shot one of our guests took during our ceremony...if you look in the background, that's the sunset...

Hope this helps! :-)

Hello Brides!!!

I am getting married at SMB on the 18th this month and I am very excited!

I am looking for someone who would be interested in wanting to buy my centerpieces, and other things I am taking to the hotel. I am going to Jamaica right after Mexico for my honeymoon and I am trying to pass on my things to another future Secrets bride. Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing the pictures. The centerpieces are a big glass bowl where you can put sand, shells, and a pillar candle inside. Or you can use them to put floating candles. They are really pretty! Centerpieces at the resort were $100, which I thought was way too steep. I am taking 9 of them, 12 mini white lanters, and 4 table tiki torches.

Let me know....my email is mggg00@yahoo.com

If there are other brides getting married at other secrets resorts in the area, I'm sure you can make good use of these too.

Thanks!

Thanks kits55 for your information about the photographer at SMB! I just booked for Nov 10, and I was going to just use their photog! Seeing that I really HATE his work, I will happily get an outside photog. Do you know how much the resort charges for an outside photographer, and more importantly, who loved their photog, and has contact info!?!?! Has anyone used Del Sol at this resort? Lol, I love this forum, it's so helpful! I have no one but me and my FI going, and feel so helpless! I'm stressing out over nothing, but pictures are going to be insanely important to us, as this is all we'll have to show our families and friends!!

Any advice from a previous SMB bride would be so helpful in this area. Bringing a phtgr from the states is not something I want to do, i'd rather use someone local if at all possible!

ALSO, lol, if anyone can tell me if it's worth getting hair/makeup done at the resort, I'd greatly appreciate it!

:) happy planning SMB brides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredfyre View Post
Do you know how much the resort charges for an outside photographer, and more importantly, who loved their photog, and has contact info!?!?! Has anyone used Del Sol at this resort? Any advice from a previous SMB bride would be so helpful in this area.
Hey there!

Yes -- definitely -- if pictures are super important to you, bring in an outside photographer! (If you're not overly concerned about pics, the resort photog is fine...but again, ONLY if you don't care too much!)

I definitely did NOT love my photog, lol:-) Anyone who's read my review will laugh at that I'm sure...it's the understatement of the year:-)

However, if you do a search on the forum there are LOTS of great photogs... Del Sol are certainly one of them! Actually, NewYork6156 I believe is leaving soon or there right now and using Del Sol -- so hopefully she can give you some feedback when she returns! But honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture from them or their associates :-) They're pretty pricey though, so if they're out of your budget, there ARE other great photogs on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredfyre View Post
ALSO, lol, if anyone can tell me if it's worth getting hair/makeup done at the resort, I'd greatly appreciate it!
If you read my review, you'll know the woman at the SMB salon totally screwed up my hair! Haven't really heard good things from other SMB brides either... Actually, I think Kits55 said she liked how they did her hair!

Basically, my suggestion is, practice doing your own hair and and make-up and be able to do it... Then when you get there, you can use the "bridal make-up and hair" that's part of your package for a "trial run"...if you like it you can pay to go back..but if you don't like it, then at least it will save you stress on your wedding day!!!

Good luck!!