Who Should Pay for the Day Passes?

Ok, little question...we are getting married at the Iberostar Lindo. This resort area is made up of 5 sister resorts. One in adults-only, 2 are on the lower end of the budget and the one we are staying at and one another are more expensive. We want everyone to stay at ours, but understand that they may not be able to. If they stay at one of the other 2 that are cheaper, they do not get to come on to our part of the resort (we get to go to theirs though).

They will need to get a night pass (I think $75 pp) for the wedding. Do we pay this for them or do they?

Of course we will pay for their dinner and stuff like that.

What would you do?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh.. this topic has come up before, and I think I got a few people upset by my answer! But hey... you asked!! lol

I honestly think that if you did everything in your power to get your guests the best rate/deal and gave them sufficient time to book their rooms - they should pay! IMO, that is a part of their accomodations - if they stay at dreams, it's not included. However, if it's my fault that they didn't book at dreams (e.g. I didn't get them the information soon enough) then I would pay. I think you've provided the best possible deal for them, they are attending for your event, so if they chose to stray away, you shouldn't be responsible to pay for that. I'm sorry, that sounds harsh. I just think it'll be a lot if you end up paying $75pp if they have the option to stay elsewhere. I'd make sure they know about the day/nightpass before they book.

I got invited to a wedding in Mexico last March, and it never crossed my mind to stay somewhere other than where they were holding the event. And if I had chosen to stay somewhere else, I would have expected to pay the penalty for it - it's my choice, not hers.

Anyways, a lot of people disagree with me. If you can afford it, I'm sure your guests would appreciate it. Also, if it's just one or two people, then I could see myself flipping for the extra expense, no biggy - but I wouldn't commit to it. Sorry, I might sound mean... but I'm ok with it! lol

I agree with Courtney on this one. We have it posted on our website that the day passes for people not staying at our resort are $100/each. But, we didn't specifiy who was going to pay it. My plan is to get a feel for who is attending and how many day passes are actually going to be needed. If the number is low, I'll go ahead and pay for them. I'm also planning on talking to the resort to see if they will pitch in a couple passes for free. Some resorts do, some resorts don't. But hell, it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Plus, I kind of look at it like this---- we're asking them to attend a destination wedding because we want to spend time with them and not just the day of the wedding. If they don't want to spend the time with us and want to stay at a different resort, then they shouldn't be offended by paying for their day pass. And if it's a money issue and they can't afford to pay for the pass, then their finances are too tight and they shouldn't even consider attending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini_Bride View Post
Ahh.. this topic has come up before, and I think I got a few people upset by my answer! But hey... you asked!! lol

I honestly think that if you did everything in your power to get your guests the best rate/deal and gave them sufficient time to book their rooms - they should pay! IMO, that is a part of their accomodations - if they stay at dreams, it's not included. However, if it's my fault that they didn't book at dreams (e.g. I didn't get them the information soon enough) then I would pay. I think you've provided the best possible deal for them, they are attending for your event, so if they chose to stray away, you shouldn't be responsible to pay for that. I'm sorry, that sounds harsh. I just think it'll be a lot if you end up paying $75pp if they have the option to stay elsewhere. I'd make sure they know about the day/nightpass before they book.

I got invited to a wedding in Mexico last March, and it never crossed my mind to stay somewhere other than where they were holding the event. And if I had chosen to stay somewhere else, I would have expected to pay the penalty for it - it's my choice, not hers.

Anyways, a lot of people disagree with me. If you can afford it, I'm sure your guests would appreciate it. Also, if it's just one or two people, then I could see myself flipping for the extra expense, no biggy - but I wouldn't commit to it. Sorry, I might sound mean... but I'm ok with it! lol

Thats a good point BUT did these guests know that they wouldn't be allowed into every section of the resort if they stayed at the more wallet friendly part??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt View Post
Thats a good point BUT did these guests know that they wouldn't be allowed into every section of the resort if they stayed at the more wallet friendly part??

What do you mean?

When I stayed in Mexico in March at the El Dorado Royale, there were the regular suites and the Casitas... us regular people weren't allowed in the Casitas area - we're adults, we got over it. Just as long as the guests are educated of the terms ahead of time rather than shocked when they get there, it's not a big deal.

...or am I completely missing the point of your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
I agree with Courtney on this one. We have it posted on our website that the day passes for people not staying at our resort are $100/each. But, we didn't specifiy who was going to pay it. My plan is to get a feel for who is attending and how many day passes are actually going to be needed. If the number is low, I'll go ahead and pay for them. I'm also planning on talking to the resort to see if they will pitch in a couple passes for free. Some resorts do, some resorts don't. But hell, it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Plus, I kind of look at it like this---- we're asking them to attend a destination wedding because we want to spend time with them and not just the day of the wedding. If they don't want to spend the time with us and want to stay at a different resort, then they shouldn't be offended by paying for their day pass. And if it's a money issue and they can't afford to pay for the pass, then their finances are too tight and they shouldn't even consider attending...
I also agree.. we'll see how many there are, then decide who pays. The info is on our site. So far we have two couples staying elsewhere 4 x $85 = $340 x 2 (welcome dinner and wedding day) = $680 ... that's going to add up to allot. I'm sad that our guests won't be seen at the pool or hanging around with everyone else on the other days. I just don't see how I can be expected to pay for two events for more than 4 people. That's like a two night stay for someone!