Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSam View Post
Well hell! I think I might be the first to ever say i kinda wanna get the swine flu while visiting one of those resort!!! wink.gif
haha that's what i was saying ... that i wanted to cancel and rebook my trip so that i'd qualify, and then go around licking mexicans, lol.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamille View Post
hijacked.gifMarieSam your siggy pic is lovely!!
Thank you girl wink.gif The pic has such a romancy feel to it, but you would never guess that FI's comment right before we took that was "I hope a gopher doesn't climb up my ass down here" lol. *He's such a clown* I have no idea how our photog caught a pic of us not laughing. cheesy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummergirl View Post
haha that's what i was saying ... that i wanted to cancel and rebook my trip so that i'd qualify, and then go around licking mexicans, lol.
hahaha Lisa you crack me up....visualizing you licking the locals = *priceless* rofl.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear tulip View Post
Hi everyone! I just got back from Cancun for my wedding planning a week ago. While you see people wearing masks in Mexico City airport or on the plane, things are totally calm and peaceful in Cancun. The weather and the water are just amazingly beautiful down there; with decreasing number of tourists, we actually felt like having our own private beach! So there, a positive thing to look at!

Our wedding is on 20 June and honestly we´re not worried AT ALL. I still need to calm down a few overseas guests, but everything will just work out fine! =P
Do you know if the activities down there are still running?? We are debating about still heading down to Mexico for our wedding even though our travel company (Signiture Vacations) cancelled our trip. We may buy a flight in and the hotel seperately. One of my big concerns is that our health insurance is void if we travel to Mexico while the travel advisory is on. Has anyone else encountered problems with this?

Mummergirl-- lol.. that is what I told my FI.. haha, so funny. I would totally go down there and try to get sick on the last day!! Such a good idea to run that promotion though.. although how can they even verify you got it at the resort since there are so many cases in the US anyway..

Good news is that my resort (Grand Palladium Riviera Maya) is waiving the $20/person charge for the ceremony for all May/June brides since they closed down part of the resort and some of the restaurants. I though that was pretty nice. Now.. thinking about spending that extra $$ on some extra photog time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodJ View Post
Do you know if the activities down there are still running?? We are debating about still heading down to Mexico for our wedding even though our travel company (Signiture Vacations) cancelled our trip. We may buy a flight in and the hotel seperately. One of my big concerns is that our health insurance is void if we travel to Mexico while the travel advisory is on. Has anyone else encountered problems with this?
By the time we went there, many restaurants were closed (except those with open area) as ordered by the Mexican government. But now all restaurants are back to business even in Mexico City, so same to Cancun. I know that popular tourist sites like Xcaret and Xel-ha are fully operated as they signed a pack with all the employees or sth like that.. If you're going there in early-mid June, I don't think there'll be any problem!

Hi All! We are back from Playa del Carmen and I can't tell you how much this has been blown out of proportion. I think I saw maybe 2 people wearing masks. They are taking your temperature when you arrive and leave the Cancun airport to help stop the spread of the swine flu. As for the resorts, they are at about 20% capacity across the Riviera Maya and although some have closed due to nearly no one there, others are doing whatever they can to make the guests they do have happy. The Royal in Playa offered 50% off of all spa treatments and bottles of wine. All of the attractions are now open. We talked to our driver on the way to our resort on Wed 5/6 and he was so frustrated with how this is effecting Mexico. He said that the climate in Mexico City is totally different that the beach areas.

Good luck to all of you leaving for Mexico for what I hope is a beautiful wedding in the coming weeks and months! Hopefully your travel is not still banned. But I will say that if you are considering canceling due to the swine flu...DON'T. We couldn't have asked for a better, more beautiful wedding!

I am going to post my overall review of the wedding on the Royal Playa del Carmen forum. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeanerswedding View Post
I'm sorry i'm joining this thread so late. I am supposed to be getting married on June 3rd and it looks like they just canceled our flights to Mexico! Air Transat just extended their cancelations to June 19th! WHAT THE HECK! Its the frickin flu! over 4000 Cdns die every year from the flu and there have been 50 worldwide!!!! Why are they doing this!!! We now have to try to move our destination elsewhere - in a matter of days. It took weeks to put this wedding together and now i have to slap something else together!huh.gif life is unfair!!! I hope not to many other brides are going through this! This is a nightmare!
The hotel said they will refund our deposit but I signed a contract with my photographer and paid a stinkin lot of money up front that was non-refundable!!! This sucks!
Hi, the same thing happened to us, we were supposed to be married may 27ty but Transat cancelled so we re-booked to JUne10th and same thing soooo we demanded they refund us and now we are flying delta airlines to mexico and booked hotel separately! done! try that!

I just wanted to drop in here and tell everyone that has been stressed out or had their special days at all affected by this, how sorry I am! I am getting married in Jan in the Mayan, and reading peoples comments on here has reassured me so much. I don't know how I would've handled it if this hit so close to my wedding. I hope everyone is able to make alternate arrangements, and that one day we can all look back and laugh about the 'pandemic' that never was. Leave it to the medi!