Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

Unfortunately our trip to Paradisus Riviera Maya has been cancelled. We were traveling with Transat and were supposed to be leaving mid-May (for wedding May 20th). We are now scrambling to figure out where to go and how to get our group's travel plans switched. We also planned our entire wedding with a separate company and are trying to get our money back from them.

I feel so bad for everyone out there. I really hope everyone can get things figured out with the least amount of hassle. For those of you having weddings in June and later I hope everything settles and that you aren't affected as well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am staying at Secrets Maroma right now and my guests have all left. No one was freaking out but my sister's fiance's mom did call here about an hour ago and she was kind of freaked out. As of earlier tonight there have been no reported cases in Quintana Roo, the RM region of Mexico. My photographer left yesterday and said that all customs and immigration workers in the US are wearing masks as are all of the flight attendants. I received an email relating to how Zoetry, Secrets, and Dreams resorts are handling the situation.

[Dear Travel Partner,

Zoëtry Wellness & Spa Resorts, Secrets and Dreams Resorts & Spas continue to remain open and welcome guests at this time. In light of the current threat of influenza in Mexico, our primary focus continues to be on the health and safety of our guests and employees. As a result, we are taking and will continue to take heightened measures to ensure a high level of sanitation at all times.

As we understand some travelers may not want to travel at this time, we have implemented two alternative options for direct reservations:

1) Reservations made at a Zoëtry Wellness & Spa Resort, Secrets or Dreams Resorts & Spas in Mexico for travel through May 16, 2009 can be changed to a Dreams Resort & Spa in the Dominican Republic in the same room category or higher for the originally scheduled dates, based on availability.

2) Reservations made at a Zoëtry Wellness & Spa Resort, Secrets or Dreams Resorts & Spas in Mexico for travel through May 16, 2009 can be postponed at the same property for future travel dates through December 15, 2009 in the same room category or above, based on availability.

For guests still wishing to cancel their reservation, our standard cancellation policy continues to apply.

For additional information and/or questions, please contact info@zoetryresorts.com ,info@secretsresorts.com or info@dreamsresorts.com.

Sincerely,

Guest Services

Zoëtry Wellness & Spa Resorts, Secrets and Dreams Resorts & Spas]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummergirl View Post
it really couldn't hurt anything to see a doc ... if nothing else they can prescribe you medicine for whatever else it may be. you're right, anyone who knows you were just in mexico will panic ... *sigh* doesn't EVERYONE have a cough and a sore throat after flying? i always do! (unless it's a sore throat from screaming because i was too drunk to know i wasn't whispering, or from singing loud horrible karaoke or something) and the runs when you've been to mexico? ... well gee, never heard of that before! LOL
Haha, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I feel like normal "just partied for a week in Mexico and did the travel thing so now I feel like mud," but I know other people are not going to view it the same way. I originally attributed my sore throat to having shouted a lot at the pool bar one day (I get loud when I get excited), but it's sticking around.

I just got back from Cancun yesterday and I can say that the media has finally found something other then the recession to talk about. Ladies I had no issues whatsoever and I believe if it was that serious they would have had us checked at customs here in the U.S. they didn't even check our bags.

Also I spoke to the workers at the hotel (Dreams Cancun) and he explained that the outbreaks are not only far away but most hotels in Cancun house their employees on sight. In other words they live on the resort for a month and go home on forlough after so no worries

stfu.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
I have the same thing Jaime and i am pretty sure I don't have it. I'm just waiting for one case to pop up here and if it does than maybe I'll get checked.
Yup! I'm going to the doc anyways on Monday so if I'm still feeling this way will have him run the test... but I have a feeling it's just a regular ole' bug! Irritating, but that's life! muscle.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodJ View Post
As of a few hours ago Noli Tours, Air Transat, Sunwing Vacations, Sunquest Vacations and Signature Vacations have postponed flights to Mexico until June 1st. Also Air Canada Vacations will not fly any of its charter vacation planes to Mexico until June 1st.

We are leaving for our wedding on June 7th so we are just waiting to see what happens....
Your wedding is just a few days after mine - We leave June 6th and I am really hoping that this will all blow over by then too!!

I have been watching this very closely as a friend of mine was due to be married in RM May 5th. Unfortunately she was traveling with one of the tour operators here in Canada and her trip has been canceled. She is a total wreck! My heart goes out to all of you. I couldn't even imagine the stress that you are all going through! I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers...it will pass soon! *Hugs* to you all.

i've been vascillating all day between crying my eyes out and making dumb (and yes, sometimes tasteless) jokes about swine flu. i think at this point if i don't keep on joking i will go insane, so i apologize to anyone who can't see the humor (i know if my wedding had been canceled i'd be hard pressed to find *any* humor in the situation). but i just saw this on zazzle and cracked up ... it's just so dumb:

Click the image to open in full size.