ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

Thanks for the invite Stephanie!

Shay - I will probably see you at the Royal! We leave on Wed 5/6. I posted on the swine flu thread after speaking with the CDC this morning ().

Best of luck to all of you all! I will keep you posted once I talk to the CDC again.

Michelle

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUangel25 View Post
Thanks for the invite Stephanie!

Shay - I will probably see you at the Royal! We leave on Wed 5/6. I posted on the swine flu thread after speaking with the CDC this morning ().

Best of luck to all of you all! I will keep you posted once I talk to the CDC again.

Michelle
Sweet Michelle! I'll see you there!!!

I should just make us all t-shirts that say BDW on them ... or hats or something, and that way, we'll all know each other! LOL

Anways...I hope Shannon and her crew are all having a blast at the Royal!!! Her wedding is Sunday...and I hope everyone ended up going after all...she had two bridesmaids and 6 other members planning on cancelling...

Shannon if you're reading this...we'll SEE YOU SOON!!!!

Shannon - I've edited my profile and added a picture. I will be on the lookout for y'all! You're getting married on Thursday? We're set for Saturday the 9th at the gazebo.

After talking with the CDC this morning my fears have really subsided. All I can do is give the information to our guests and let them make the best call for them. If you get a chance to post once you get down to Playa let me know! Safe travels and hope to see you!

Michelle

I know. Crazy, right?! They have an 800 number and my doctor recommended I call. I talked to a girl for probably 15 minutes. Below is my post on the Swine Flu thread. Hope it helps!

"I am new to the group and getting married in Playa next Saturday. I called my doctor this morning and she recommended calling the CDC. I talked to them and below is the resulting email to my guests. I hope it helps! PS - They are recommending that people that are younger than age 7, older than 54 or have a pre-existing medical condition not travel.

Greetings All!

I wanted to let all of you know that I just got off the phone with the CDC. I wanted them to clarify "non-essential travel" as it pertains to our situation. As of now they would not recommend that we cancel wedding plans as we have invested a lot of time and money in planning (therefore it is essential to us). I do understand that many of you have families that are your number one priority and that our wedding is not considered as essential to you as it is to us. Please know that we are monitoring this very closely. I will call the CDC back in a few days and will give you another update. A lot can change in 7 days.

The CDC did make several recommendations for those that still plan on traveling:

1. Call your doctor and tell them you are traveling to Mexico. Request a prescription for Tamiflu for Relenza to take with you. You will have it on hand should you start to develop any symptoms which will drastically reduce your infection. If necessary ask for several disposible masks to take with you (these will be great for pictures!).

2. Call your health insurance provider to make sure that you have coverage in Mexico should you need to visit a doctor or hospital. There is a doctor on-site at the Royal, but I have also be provided you with the information for the closest hospitals in Playa del Carmen below:

- Clinica Medica del Carmen - Medical Service in Playa del Carmen

Hospital services: 984-873-0885

- Hospiten - Medical Service in Playa del Carmen

Full hospital with all medical and emergency services: 984-803-1002

Location: Hwy 307 on the North bound side near the Playacar entrance

3. Take all regular precautionary flu measures (i.e. wash your hands often or use antibacterial lotion (with 60% alcohol or more), sneeze into your sleeve, not your hand and don't shake hands with a lot of people, etc).

4. Monitor your health for seven days after your return.

They did not say that pregnant women should not travel. What they did say is that should you decide to go you need to take extra precautionary measures (have antibacterial lotion on you at all times and possibly wear a mask). If you happen to contract the virus it would be worse for you than others considering some people have had 103 degree temperatures. Please consult your doctor and make the best decision for you and your family.

For those that haven't already done this and plan to go to Playa, please register your travel with the US Department of State (https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/). Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can assist you in case of an emergency."

Wow thats so great you spoke to them and it seems that you got some good information. My issue is that I have a 1, 3 and 5 year old, a pregnant bridesmaid, and 9 guests over the age of 54.

We are researching Florida right now even though we have no idea what the hotel is going to do for us. I am really angry and upset because I can't take everyones comments about me making the best of this and that its going to be beautiful. Its so not something that I feel I am or should be expected to get over and readjust the plan and be excited about when this is just going down so quickly. I don't know that I will get over it to be honest and we can't even afford the hotels in the the states which is a HUGE reason we chose to do Mexico in the first place....I'm proud of you girls for planning on going as is I have a feeling that this isn't going to be up to me if I want to do the same based on how the family is responding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightyWhitey View Post
I just got a message that Air Transat has postponed all their flights to Mexico until June 1st. That means 90% of my guests now cannot come. I'm now looking into other locations.
ME freakin too! WTF!
We were planning on going either way but BOTH of our families are booked with airtransat..or were

I know how hard it is to take what everyone is saying (including family) with a grain of salt. But remember this is you and your fiance's day.

No matter what I'm down at least 4 guests (old and young), but most of the older adults that are going are over 54 (but under 60). We also have 4 pregnant girls coming (one of which is a bridesmaid) and they're all getting different answers from their doctors. They just need to do what is best for them personally. And all you can do is support their decision.

My MIL suggested trying to have a backup wedding somewhere else, but I just don't know that I have it in me to plan a second wedding from scratch! We got our marriage license today so the plan is already in motion. Unless this flu starts doubling or tripling in cases overnight, we're going. Good luck to you and your planning. Don't answer your phone if you get a phone call that might piss you off...that's why I like email! :)

Michelle