Deciding Colors...

I'm still trying to work out the kinks here, so bear with me. And go 'head and be brutally honest...my brain is about to explode trying to come up with color combos. My maid of honor nearly died when I told her I was thinking of tangerine and yellow, so I ditched those. They actually looked great together against each other in the shop, but the more I thought on it, the less I wanted to give these girls dresses that they would be afraid to ever where in public again. lol Those are pretty bright colors.

So anyway, what I'm thinking of now is chocolate/truffle and ivory with a few gold accents.

So, here's the dress...(and don'tcha just loathe David's Bridal for not letting you copy?) David's Bridal - Cotton sateen strapless dress with ruching and in seam pockets.

And here are the flowers I'm thinking of having duplicated for my bouquet:

Click the image to open in full size.

Sunflowers are pretty non-traditional for bridal bouquets, but that's part of what's appealing to me about them I guess. And the fact that they actually have brown as a naturally predominant color without having to dye or dip them.

And here is the standard wedding set up for the hotel....they just so happen to have it set up with gold bows in the pic, but I'm wondering if that would just be too much. I think it would most likely...bah! Trying to picture it with some sunflower arrangements over head and flanking the stairs.

Click the image to open in full size.

What do you guys think? If the flowers are ok, what should I have done with the chairs? Has anyone ever seen chocolate tulle?? lol

• VIP Member

First of all, I think your choice for brown bridesmaid dresses with ivory and yellow accents will be very lovely.

Next, have you verified that you can get sunflowers in mexico? I honestly don't know, but that doesn't seem like a tropical flower to me! :)

Finally, the set up is really beautiful! I actually like the gold ties, but if they have brown that'd be really pretty too. Or even brown with a little yellow flower where the bow ties?

And then what about having the three big arrangements in the photo be sunflower arrangements? Maybe with ivory roses? That would be pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post
First of all, I think your choice for brown bridesmaid dresses with ivory and yellow accents will be very lovely.
Next, have you verified that you can get sunflowers in mexico? I honestly don't know, but that doesn't seem like a tropical flower to me! :)
Finally, the set up is really beautiful! I actually like the gold ties, but if they have brown that'd be really pretty too. Or even brown with a little yellow flower where the bow ties?
And then what about having the three big arrangements in the photo be sunflower arrangements? Maybe with ivory roses? That would be pretty.
I know! I'm trying to get a friend of mine who is a florist to look into it for me. I know there used to be a list somewhere on the boards (flowers available in different locations I believe it was) but I can't find anything now. The only thing that even made me consider them is that I was looking through some articles about flowers and their meanings and I saw that sunflowers are thought to have first been domesticated in Mexico. So I'm thinking that bodes well for their availability??

If I DO use the sunflowers, should I keep the gold? Just seems like it would clash. Maybe do brown tulle on the chairs (assuming I could bring it with since I doubt the resort has it, but I'll check) and do a sunflower tied into the back of each?

I love the idea of brown and ivory! Any pastel/soft colors go great with brown. I think the chair ties in gold may be a little off or too much for your color palette of brown, ivory and yellow(flowers). I think brown would be a great color for chair ties if you could get them in the color of the bridesmaids dresses! The sunflower on each chair would tie everything together, so great idea. The flower bouquet is great since, like you mentioned, they already have brown in them. The bridesmaid dresses are cute to boot!

I think it will come together beatifully! They are all natural colors and those always turn out great! Plus you are going to have such breath taking scenary in Mexico any ways so you dont need a lot... Less is more! I think you decided on a great color combo! Best of Luck!

Thanks girls.

Assuming I can confirm the sunflowers in Mexico theory, I'm gonna ditch the gold and just go with brown and ivory w. yellow as the accent color. That will leave me open for other flowers as well if it turns out I can't use the sunflowers.

Is it anal that I'm thinking of buying my own chair covers if the resort doesn't have ivory? My dress is going to be ivory and I think it would irk me to have the chairs be pure white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bePowers View Post
First, I like all of the ideas you are talking about.

I am attaching a flower thing I got off the site a while ago, I am not sure if it is what you are talking about.
You DOLL! Thanks, that's it! It's Cabo, but I figure it's probably a fairly safe bet that the RM would have similar availability (I hope).

I also just did one of those live chat thingy's (yea, I'm sure that's what it's called lol) with a florist shop in Cancun....they said it wouldn't be a problem to get them so I'm guessing my hotel wedding coordinator can get them from whatever area florist she works with. They are dirt cheap here in the states so I'm hoping they are inexpensive in Mexico as well.

I'm gonna just plan to recover the chairs...Ebay has some great deals all the time on chair covers and bows. So for now, I'll plan with ivory covers and chocolate (or "truffle") chair ties with sunflowers worked into the knot.

Thanks chicas!