Ana y Jose Tulum Brides Post Here

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by charps View Post
Amber-Thanks for letting me know. BUT $100 and hour!?! That's just stupid. I'll probably wait a few weeks before I ask her about it. She'll probably start wondering why all of us are asking the same questions at the same time...
I'm sure Jackie is familiar with this website and knows exactly why she's getting so many questions about the outside vendor fees. I haven't heard back from her yet as to why $100 per HOUR. I'll let you know when she responds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeier View Post
Hello All

I'm getting married March 14th at the beach club.
I set up a website, Our Wedding Website with a lot of transportation and hotel information. Feel free to copy! the site has had some issues lately!

As for Jackie, it has been a pain. I would suggest you set a time and call her.
She will confirm everything back in email.

I'm struggling with the DJ. Has anyone confirmed this yet? We only have 40 guests, Jackie suggested to just use an ipod this scares me.

Also, the ceremony. I just found out if you don't use someone from Mexico to officiate you need a work permit. Jackie isn't clear on how you get this, has anyone done this yet?

thanks!! Sandy

PS- I'm having my R dinner at Zamas, they have been extremely helpful and much cheaper then Ana Y Jose- let me know if your interested and I can give up details

Hi Sandy ~

I am going with DJ Bob. You can search him on this forum and see the favorable comments that everyone has posted. He is also the DJ for Turtle Bay Bakery in Akumal. If you go to that website, you can see his website. DJ Bob is very quick in responding to any questions you may have. I was going to do just go with the Ipod set up, but then I thought, who's going to introduce the bride/groom and emcee the reception. His prices are very reasonable too. Also, check with Jackie as to who AyJ uses for a DJ. If you bring in an outside DJ, the outside vendor fee is $100 per HOUR!

DJs- I spoke with DJ Bob yesterday. He was so nice and excited about his job. He also said he would provide me with sound equipment during the cermony as long as I was paying him to be there. Which would be cheaper than renting equipment for the night. I don't think there is anyway they can charge $100 an hour. I asked her several times what the outside vendor fee was and all she gave me was a $200 flat. But I haven't heard back from her lately so we will see.

Reception- I want to have my reception in the grape tree area as well. I was wondering what everyone was doing after dinner? The grape tree area looks awesome for dinner, but what about dancing and all that stuff. I was thinking of going back to the palapa or beach bed area, but don't know if that will actually work.

San Fran Sarah- Since you have visited maybe you can help with this question. Is the grape tree area considered the beach? Just curious because May-September is Turtle season and there are some restrictions on the beach. Also she told me there could be no dancing on the beach (maybe because of the turtles) so I wasn't sure what area is considered the beach or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afreeman21 View Post
Stephdel- I haven't asked about the corkage fee, but I agree with the $13 an hour for open bar and it isn't even top shelf. We decided to pay by the drink for everyone because we wanted top shelf and knew our families couldn't drink the $125/person that came out to (friends on the other hand probably will). But when you pay by the drink, you have to pay for ALL the drinks, $2.50 per coke and water. I even asked if we could have those big jars of fruit juices you always see in Mexico, we can but still $2.50 per glass. Oh well. They have realized American brides will pay whatever for their wedding to be what they want.

Is anyone using the lounge furniture? Seeing the pictures of that is what made me want my wedding at Ana y Jose, but I'm not really sure how to incorporate it so that I get my money's worth.
i think i will do open bar for an hour during the reception, then for diner we will have wine (that we will buy from them) and champagne (that we are buying)...by the way there is a supermarket in playa that has veuve cliquot champagne and moet for $30, it still is cheaper to buy it outside AyJ because their corkage fee for champagne bottle is $50...their bottles of champagne are $120 so $30+$50= $80, still cheaper than their bar.
Jackie told me that in order to keep the place open after 11pm, i have to get the open bar $13 an hour/per person or they will close it down...so i guess we will have to.

Also is anybody annoyed by the fact that they lower the decibels to 65 after 11pm...it sounds like the party is over at 11, but we really want to get it going, we are thinking of renting a house close by for the after party...we might even move the celebration earlier so we can party a little more before 11pm...

i did a tasting menu (which i couldn't chose), but i came back and chose it this time, and picked Citrus Salmon and Chicken. i thought the soups would be too hot for july so i might substitute it for ceviche.

For the rehearsal diner, i am still negotiating with Zamas, they offer 2 menus, one is local mexican, cheaper and the other one is more american/more expensive, i might have to go for the a american one which offers grilled fish and chicken...and lots of good appetizers..it's not cheap but my in-laws are paying and dont like mexican food.

There is this great trampoline at the club, just wondering if anybody organizing some kind of photoshoot there with their guests, i was thinking of doing that, it would be so funny i think!

i went on DJ bon website but couldn't see what he plays, and it doesn't look like he can play old school hip hop or rock, can someone tell me if you got more infos?

i am thinking about keeping AyJ tables and chairs for diner, just because i can play with the number of guests at the table more that if i had a 10 people round table, and also i dont hae to spend another $2000 with rental and everything that goes with it.

the more i think about my wedding the more chilled and relaxed i want it and the setting is so gorgeous that i don't feel like spending a ton in decoration and tables...i would love to hear what you think.

i am a little disappointed that they won't offer any discounts for people staying at the AyJ hotel, after dropping at least $20000 i feel like they could be a little more flexible...oh well.

i am not hiring a wedding coordinator on top of jackie, so i am going to most i can with her vendors just because i don't want to have to deal with it the day of...i am sure there are better deals for rentals, and florist but i want everything to be under jackies control.

by the way this blog is so helpful! i love it!

the reception area under the grape trees is right next to the palapa and before the lounge/bed area on the beach, it should be accessible all year long since its not too close to the water...i was thinking of doing reception there, diner under the palapa and dancing under the palapa too

I think renting a place for an after party is great idea. That way the people that are ready to go home don't feel obligated to stay and everyone else can just have a good time. Plus you can go to the supermarket and stock your open bar for the rest of the trip. I went to one destination wedding where everyone was drinking the left over bottles of champagne for the rest of the trip. Mimosas for breakfast anyone? Since we are staying in Playa we just figured we would take the party back there for the rest of the night.

Does anyone know what the table set-ups are like under the grape tree or in the Palapa for the beach club (we are trying to decide between the two for the reception)? I have a friend who is doing my flowers and we are trying to figure out the configurations for tables/chairs.

How many of you are going to have a legally binding ceremony at AnaY? We are still trying to figure that out too.

I really wish someone would be able to convince Jackie to start a blog with us as it seems like we all have the same questions and it would be easier (and hopefully quicker wink.gif) for her to post once rather than answer us all separately. Thoughtshuh.gif?

Thanks again Sarah for setting this up - very helpful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afreeman21 View Post
San Fran Sarah- Since you have visited maybe you can help with this question. Is the grape tree area considered the beach? Just curious because May-September is Turtle season and there are some restrictions on the beach. Also she told me there could be no dancing on the beach (maybe because of the turtles) so I wasn't sure what area is considered the beach or not.
Afreeman- The grape tree's aren't considered a part of the beach. I asked Jackie about that awhile ago. There's a clause in the contract that dinner on the beach has 20% gratuity. She told me that the grape trees are in the 15% area, so I guess it's not considered a part of the beach.