Capella Cabo Site Visit Long w/Pics

Our site visit at Capella Pedregal in Los Cabos: 12/20-12/27smile159.gif

As you all know, my wonderful mother drove (yes, drove 2200 from Idaho to Cabo San Lucas) to deliver my wedding stuff. She got there with no issues at the border or driving other than some weather. I packed all items in 4 suitcases and clear plastic boxes which I placed in Black duffles (thanks Jess!). As no one got stopped at the border, the bags were not needed but came in handy on the other side once I assembled the OOT bags and needed to put them in something. This made it much easier to carry them and protects them from people seeing what is inside. She drove a SportTracker down with a camper shell. All 12 bags fit (just barely in the bed of the truck) and she put her suitcases and stuff in the back seats.

Click the image to open in full size.

We flew via AeroMexico, which I am not in love with. We flew San Diego to Cabo (2:05 min), coach there and first class return. Coach is squishy, no food, snack or even ability to purchase alcohol (WHAT?). The first class was nothing special; food was served with 1 glass of wine (which she took from me before I even finished it). No water or anything additional offered in flight.

Airport/customs: The new terminal is finished and fabulous. We had cleared the visa check in, collecting our luggage and through customs with 0 issues and out in under 30 min (a new record for Cabo). It is much more organized and so much quicker! Our property had arranged TransCabo to pick us up (as there were 5 of us on the way in) and they were there waiting upon arrival. TransCabo was easy, clean, and on time

Capella Pedregal: Click the image to open in full size.

Our residences were finished and open even though the hotel is now pushed back on their opening until May, now after the wedding (which was an issue for me as guests will not be able to stay in the hotel, but we have come to other arrangements which work better as our guest will now be able to stay on our side in the residences versus the other side in the hotel portion). The property is AMAZING! It is on the Pacific side, right on the ocean (just north of the Finnisterra). The drive in to the property has these high walls with fountains off them as you enter the tunnel which is lit by flames (this will be a wedding photo). As you come to the end of the tunnel, there is large bare tree with the Mexican stars (made from metal with holes in the which lights twinkle out of) and behind it is the entryway overlooking the ocean. Click the image to open in full size.

Our Casita was amazingly beautiful. Click the image to open in full size. We stayed in the 2 story, 3 bedroom. It has 2 master suites and a double room. Having 6 people and a baby for a week, and we didnâ€t feel crowded or on top of each other. All rooms face the ocean. The upstairs master has an infinity pool and settee and the downstairs has a walk-in closet. There is a full kitchen and laundry room. There is a private pool by the table on the patio (which is where was spent most of our time and where I did all my wedding prepping/organizing/final DIY projects). Our Majorduomo (Butler) was fantastic and a huge help with all of the wedding stuff.

We took walkie talkies so each couple could have one and not have to use cell phones (Motorolla from Costco for 3, $57) Click the image to open in full size.

The property has a large Palapa right on the beach in front of the Beach Club restaurant and south of the pool. This is a wonderful space and where they had planned for our rehearsal dinner and the cocktail reception after the ceremony. They held our menu/wine tasting here. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

More to follow

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marco Bustamante is the Executive Chef and he put together a wonderful menu that blew our mind. We had a 3.5 hour food/wine tasting to taste all of our dish selections/wine & cocktail pairings. All six of us were so impressed with his dishes and suggestions! His food is so amazing, no one will believe it is wedding food, not to mention he cooks all organic and local only. We only had to make 1 change out of 4 meals and it was minor. Here is a pic of some of the appetizers we tasted for one of the meals

And sampling them with wine

We decided to move the wedding to the deck around the pool (they will remove all pool loungers, bring in dance floor, dinner tables, and lounge furniture around the pool). Here is a pic,I am standing where the edge of the dancefloor will be. The Jacuzzi (hidden by the tree) is in the middle of the pool and will have floating candles/flowers and have candles in glass vases all around it. Click the image to open in full size.

Here is where the dinner tables will be at sunset (minus the pool loungers in front)

Live Music: We heard auditions from 3 of the 4 musician’s we will be using (which Marco & Fernando Flores, who used to work at Lazy Gourmet and is now with Capella) set up for us during the menu tasting).

1.We heard the Mariachi’s Diaz (there are 10 of them and they came in 10 different outfits to show us what our options were). They were fantastic and listened to my requests on style of music and songs I do NOT want to hear (La Bamba, Guantanamera, Oye Como Va, etc…I don’t want our guests to think of the beach mariachi’s they here in town but the traditional wedding mariachis….as this is where they got their name originally). They will play our wedding cocktail reception while we are getting pictures taken. They are $540/hour. Click the image to open in full size.

2.We heard Arturo the Spanish Guitarist again (I heard him when I visited in June this year). Again, he was fabulous and was very sweet to give us a CD of his music upon leaving as an engagement gift. He will be playing at our Welcome Party at the Yacht Club. He is $300/hour Click the image to open in full size.

3.We heard the Harp Trio (didn’t catch their names…sorry) that will play both the ceremony and our rehearsal dinner. They are so lovely and Fernando had told them Eres Tu was my favorite song and would like it played at the wedding, so they played it as their last song for us…I was literally in tears. They are going to play this song as we walk back down the aisle together. They are $280/hr. Click the image to open in full size.

Flowers: I met with a lady from Florenta (the owner was out of town so someone showed me the shop with no flowers as it was closed, so I could see their pictures on the computer) and Martha from Mazarte (she came to see me and brought her stuff with her). Both do wonderful work. Mazarte does the flowers for Capella and I got to meet with her in person and really liked her style, I am waiting for a quote from her.

Cake Tastings: The property drove and picked up tastings from both Sweet Dreams and Jennifer Hatton for us to do this on property. The 6 of us were all able to taste and both, and all were fabulous. As the unanimous favorite was a vanilla cake with a Key Lime filling from Jennifer and the lightness of her chocolate Devils cake, we will be going with her. Tasting for Jennifer is $25 and deposit on the cake is $100. Jennifer has been amazing with communication and is very quick to respond and easy to access via email.

Jennifer Tasting Plate (remember these are for taste, not for looks but thought you might want to see what you get) Click the image to open in full size.

Deena Tasting Plate (she was so cute, she put a Merry Christmas white chocolate sign on it for us)

Hair/Makeup: BeautyLounge in Cabo did a makeup trial (Rosela Banderas) and hair trial (Carmalita) on 12/23 for me. They were fantastic…they worked together to create an overall look. They both paid attention to what I wanted for my hair/makeup and it came out great for our first meeting. I had a cocktail party at the property that night and everyone loved it. A few said the eye’s were a little dark, so we may stick with the color but a little lighter. The only thing we need to fix is how light makeup she had on my face (I do not let my face in the sun so it is always lighter than my chest/body). We will fix this on the next round. I loved how they worked together and making suggestions to each other, which they listened to and made changes. Carmelita even ran outside to find some fresh flowers to put in my hair so we could see what it would look like with something there. It was about $80 for hair & makeup. They will come to you on property if you book 3 or 4 other people to do hair/makeup the day of the wedding as they have to close the shop. They are lovely ladies and I was very happy with them. Click the image to open in full size.

DJ: DJ Ricardo (Patino) came on 12/26 to the property to see the space he is going to be working in. I really enjoyed speaking with him and am very excited that he was available for our wedding date. He had some suggestions for speakers and such that I had not thought of and was glad he took the time to come to the property (especially right after a holiday). He is going to communicate directly with Fernando on setup, items needed and such so I don’t have to be a liason.

Leslie Bost (One Weddings & Events): She is a friend and has volunteered a some coordination for me as I do not have a wedding coordinator. She has been a HUGE help and is amazing! She There on the 22, 23, and 26th driving me around, making phone calls and arranging last minute meetings. She has great insight/vision and is very throughout, I cannot imagine how involved she gets when she is the actual coordinator. A true life savor (even offered to let me store items at her house). She did all of this as she was preparing to leave for a month on 12/27….that is dedication!

Wedding Items Storage: I am storing my items left behind (18 boxes) at the hotel. I boxed ita ll up when I was done finalizing everything and Fernando came to the room, went through everbox, labeled them,and took a detailed inventory (which he sent me via email 24 hours later, typed up, for me to review for accuracy). He stored it all ina room with nothing else in it and he has the only key. I am 100% confident that it will all be there an intact upon our return. He is also coordinating giving items to the florist and Jennifer Hatton, as I will not be there to do it until 3 days before the actual wedding. He checked and counted every item to ensure exactly what was there and that nothing was broker. Unbelievable service by Fernando and the whole team at Capella!

We are so excited! 3 months from Sunday we will be getting married! Felt like this day would never come and it is so close now!