What great/ridiculous product have you bought off an infomercial?

MarieSam

I am obsessed with infomercial crap...it's embarassing... I bought proactiv which works miracles, the make up sheer cover, which I ended up cancelling because it was costing more than my groceries for a month. I got turbo jam....and i recently ordered the ionic white thing for your teeth....I hope it works because I don't want to pay 350 for zoom whitening...I need to get a hobby during the day...the commercials suck me in every time!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) What great product(s) have you bought? None, first purchase did me in.

2) What horrible product(s) have you bought? Back in the 90's, the Ronco food dehydrater one night after getting back from the bars in university. Darn thing took like 2 days to make dried banana chips. And the so-called fruit roll-ups were awful. Lesson learned shipping to Canada sucks and don't watch infomercials while under the influence.

3) What product(s) are you tempted to buy, but just not sure it's worth it? BareMinerals, Cricut Machine and P90X workout dvd's.

I have p90x, turbo jam & hip hop abs. I'm not crazy about hip hop abs, but i love the other two.

The first infomercial i remember was for the dailey. it was a hand held blender. similar to the magic bullet, but longer. we were obsessed with that commercial & my mom finally ordered one. i think she still has it. we made a few shakes, but it didn't change our lives like we thought it would.

The next thing we got was the sandwich machine that makes triangle sandwiches. That thing was really cool. we had "3 triangle meals a day." Mike asked for one for christmas a few years ago, so we have something similar now.

I have bare minerals, but I didn't learn about it from the infomercial. my friend told me about it & I bought it at sephora.

I helped a friend wax her legs with nads. remember how you could eat it? it didn't really work.

The worst thing I bought was a home electrolysis kit from a magazine. The ads showed it as tweezers holding the hair & sending pulses. it wasn't anything like that. it was a needle. i used it on one hair & it made a red bump.

my co-worker saw the shamwow at the state fair. she was amazed. I read the reviews & it doesn't sound that great. she likes to quote mark from shamwow. it's pretty funny.

Ive got the Bare Escentuals mineral make up. and i SWEAR by it. Ive had problems with rosacia, and very red skin, and it covers like magic. Especially if you get the start up kit, its everything you need!!

I also got the Shamwow, the Actual one not a knock off version, and its worked fine for what Ive used it for. But I havent had too much need for it

Hehehe rofl.gif all you gals crack me up, and THANK GOD I'm not the only one who seems to be enticed by these late night infomercials filled with bad acting.

Hmm so consensus seems to be that the Shamwow is a worthy product ~ oooh I'm gonna try and see if FI will invest in a set for us. punk.gifWith my once wonderful shopping budget now all going toward the wedding I'm starting to live by the new montra ~ If I can't wear it, I aint buying it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Host View Post
i bought a food dehysrator years ago and don't know where it is but want another one. it made the best beef jerky and fruits rolls...yummy!
Beef jerky and fruit rolls ~ yummy, I'll have to search for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STACEY View Post
A few years back, I bought this ab work out thing. It was like a huge belt that you go around your stomach and it would release a bunch of shocks, that were supposed to simulate a work out. But the shocks hurt like a Beotch.
hehehe, I remember that thing. It would shock you? that's bananas!wacko.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeyonke View Post
the snuggie cracks me up. it's so silly. DH & i like to joke about our hands getting "trapped and tangled inside" blankets.
That image has me dying, lol. hehehehe. cheesy.gif But the other day I was at Sam's Club and they had a similar snuggie type thing, and a crap load of people were buying it. I started looking around like "Am I missing something here?" Maybe walking around like an amoeba is actually a good thing? confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC77 View Post
rofl.gif Ok, this had me cracking up!

How the heck do you 'lose' a thighmaster! lol I tried to use one once that a friend had and somehow it flew out from between my thighs and smacked me in the face. It was hilarious! Needless to say I never tried it again.

*sigh* silly right? It is one of the great mysteries of my Cerritos home. I swear we have an elf living in a secret room that's using my thighmaster, using makeup from this makeup bag I lost earlier this year, has about 3 TV remotes, and is sporting a black leather jacket and the right foot to a pair of bamboo sandals I lost years ago. wtf.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristendotcom View Post
The only thing I ever bought from an infomercial was thos kinoki detox pads that you put on your feet.

Don't waste your money like I did! hahaha

DAMN IT!!!! I was so tempted to buy this just to see all the crap that comes outta my feet. rant.gif

this thread is making me feel normal for loving info-mercials! :)

i've been wondering about PediPaws, so thanks for the info, ladies! i'll probably buy one for Luke's Christmas present - he's got short hair and dark nails. hopefully he'll sit still long enough for me to give him a pedicure!

i, too, purchased BareEscentuals but only after i talked it over with a friend who loved them. i bought mine at ULTA (a beauty store chain) rather than off TV

my 1st Proactiv purchase was from the info-mercial! i started about 7 years ago, and it works better than anything i've ever used. unfortunately it's a bit pricey...*sigh*

i was 2 seconds away from purchasing Hip-Hops Abs when i realized how much the 4 installments of $whatever.99 were going to cost me! that commercial is so fun and convincing...!!! i still want to buy it.... haha

my parents and i make fun of ShamWOW! guy ALLLLLLLL the time...wow, he's nuts. so, apparently they work...?? i guess i'll buy one for my parents for Christmas..hehe his best line is something like "they're made in Germany, which is good bc the Germans always make good stuff"....do y'all know what i'm talking about? oh, he's a trip!

finally - i don't know if this is on the same train as an info-mercial but does anyone order from Home Shopping?? my mom has been ordering makeup from them for quite some time, and it's great stuff!! watching HSN for even 5 minutes is pure entertainment. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
I wanted to invest into this turbo jam... how is it ? Do you have fun ? Do you have great results ?
yes, it's fun & a great workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleandscott View Post
my parents and i make fun of ShamWOW! guy ALLLLLLLL the time...wow, he's nuts. so, apparently they work...?? i guess i'll buy one for my parents for Christmas..hehe his best line is something like "they're made in Germany, which is good bc the Germans always make good stuff"....do y'all know what i'm talking about? oh, he's a trip!
the other day a coworker was referring to something from germany and said, "well shamWOW mark taught us that everything made in germany is good, so it must be good."

oh man my grama orders all kinds of these things, only she gets them from those flimsy coupon inserts that come in the sunday paper? you know like the hand-held sewing machine (got it) roomba (that too), seat belt clips (to make it so when you are short the seat belt doesnt get you in the throat-got those too), those glass bulbs to water your plants (yep you guessed it, got those).

hmm, funny, because almost everything she orders, she gets 2 of them and i end up with the 2nd! thanks grama wink.gif