For you mothers

LadyP

FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH

BY JAY LENO.

IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING

ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE

KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked

and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,

tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in

baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets

and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets,

not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with

no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm

day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden

hose and NOT from a bottle

We shared one soft drink with four friends,

from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar,

but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video

games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones,no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms........

WE HAD FRIENDS

and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some

of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and

inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion

of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,

and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them. CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have

had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers

and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they

will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run

through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

This is so true. It fit me to a T. I would go out with my friends on our bikes in the morning and not come home for hours. We played in the woods. We hitchhiked to the park when we skipped school, lol. We never sat in the house watching tv except on Sunday when we watched Disney and Wild Kingdom. I also remember a time when one kids mother came up to the school and punched out the principle. But nobody sued. We live in such different times and people are afraid to let their kids be kids so they lock them in the house with entertainment. Both parents have to work instead of being home when the kids get out of school, so some are raising themselves.

Sometimes I want things back the way they were when people trusted each other, respected each other and your neighbors were allowed to help guide your children onto the right path.