Reception: Dancing or not???

Ok ladies. I finally set my date, set up the room block, got my website and sent out my STD's. That is such a relief!! I have not posted in a while because I have been focused on all of that. So it is time to get moving again and ask questions. I am having a slight difference of opinion with my FH. If it were up to him, we would get married on the beach and go to the lobby bar and be done!! But of course we are not doing that. I am having the reception at the Cascada Terrace. He just wants to do a dinner and that is all. I am thinking we should have a DJ and dancing too. I wanted to get some opinions on what other brides did or are doing.

Did you have a DJ during the reception just for dinner?

Did you have a DJ during the reception for dinner and dancing?

Did you have the Mexican Trio for dinner and DJ for dancing?

Did you have the Mexican Trio for dinner only?

Did you have a dance floor put in or just dance on the concrete?

Also I wanted to know for the ceremony, what music did you use? Does Dreams provide music for when the bride walks down the aisle or do we have to bring a tape or hire someone?

Any ideas would be very helpful!!

Thanks,

Lisa

love all your questions hope someone replies soon i would love to know the same thingsblush2.gif also donnie (boyfriend) and i are thinking of doing a site visit to dreams the 1st week in oct of this year so i will probably be picking your brain....hope you will not mind... cheer2.gif i will try to help with some ideas....not engaged yet lol ........erica

I'm not a Dreams Cabo bride, but here are my answers ...

Did you have a DJ during the reception just for dinner?

Did you have a DJ during the reception for dinner and dancing?

Did you have the Mexican Trio for dinner and DJ for dancing?

Did you have the Mexican Trio for dinner only?

i thinkwe will have a trio for the ceremony and cocktail hour, then a DJ for the rest of the evening (dinner and dance)

we will have a dancy floor on the beach (provided for us by Las Caletas planner)

I am a Hilton bride but here's our plan:

Ceremony: My brother is going go tplay guitar as my dad walks me down the aisle.

Reception: Startign with the cocktail hour we have hired a DJ who will play music from our iPod all night - thru dinner and then for dancing.

We are not having a dance floor put in - we are dancing right on the concrete!

Also I wanted to know for the ceremony, what music did you use? Does Dreams provide music for when the bride walks down the aisle or do we have to bring a tape or hire someone?

I'm almost positive that Dreams will not provide you with any music or even a way to play music. You will need to rent this through your wedding coordinator (either private or thru the hotel). You will need someone to run the music but you may want to consider asking a friend to just push "play" if it's that simpe (I did that for a friend's wedding once myself).

I think that a weddig reception with no dancing isn't as fun. I think people will want to dance and have fun and dinner only isn't as nice.

We had our friend play the pre-ceremony/ceremony music

we had a mariachi for the cocktail hour

we did ipod music for dinner but we actually ran out of music (even though we had a 1.5 hour playlist, dinner ran a little long

we had the Twins play during dinner and for the reception dancing. they were awesome people were up dancing before their salad was served and they kept the dancefloor going all night. I think every single person there was dancing. The party really only ended because the band stopped playing!

i was a riviera maya bride, but this is what we did:

ceremony - we hired an acoustic guitarist to play through our whole ceremony... he played more traditional wedding music for the procession in and out... and he played softer background music through the actual ceremony

cocktail hour/ photo session - the guitarist stayed on the beach and played through the cocktail hour, for the guests that were hanging out on the beach... and we had the dj play as well for those that were hanging out at the bar

reception - of course we had the dj playing all nite... he and the emcee had everyone dancing and singing... i doubt my wedding would have been as much fun for our guests if we didn't have a dj...

dancefloor - we didn't need one, since the reception was under the open-air thatched roof restaurant...

as for resorts providing you music - i'm pretty sure they don't, unless you pay for it... but if they provide a sound system for you to plug your cd player or ipod into, make sure you have all the right plugs for it... for my welcome party, they set up a speaker system for us, but they didn't have the right connectors for our ipods, luckily one of our guest had a portable speaker system with him, that was more then adequate...

Julie

I'm getting married at dreams cancun, I think we're going to use our IPOD for the ceremony, have the mariachi for cocktail hour, and then use our IPOD the rest of the night. We're having a small group but I'd still like us to be able to do some dancing, at least the major dances.

We're not getting the dance floor, just dancing on the concrete or the grass, depending on where we decide to have our reception.

I like the idea of using the Ipods even though I don't own one.

Then at least the DJ can get an idea of the music you want to be played, right? I guess you could always make different genre cds for each part of the night.

Thanks for all the info so far. I do not have an ipod to bring with me so I'll have to have the DJ provide the music. It seems everyone so far had dancing at the reception. I'd still like to hear what others did. Now the part is convincing my FH to have dancing. Maybe I'll just book the DJ and say oops when we get down there HAHA. Also if you did have a trio/DJ at Dreams or in Cabo, who did you use?

Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen View Post
I like the idea of using the Ipods even though I don't own one.

Then at least the DJ can get an idea of the music you want to be played, right? I guess you could always make different genre cds for each part of the night.
We don't have an IPOD yet either, I was thinking of registering somewhere that I can get an IPOD, haha, that way someone could buy it for us for a gift!

But I don't know if there is much of a difference cost wise between having a dj or just renting the sound system, so it might just be one less thing to worry about if we used the dj.