I had the craziest doctor appt...OMG!

Yari

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily&Matt View Post
Actually, his beliefs and his work are who he is and I think it's great for him to be up front about what he believes and to stand with his convictions. He is a private individual, not a government employee. Everyone can make their own choice about whether or not they want to go there. He doesn't waste your time, he lets you know up front where he's coming from. We still have freedom of speech in this country and he was exercising it. We really need to stand up for our freedom to believe the way we want to, even if no one else agrees. Lots of people's beliefs are offensive to me, but I just walk away and let them do their own thing and I'll go do mine. Just like everything else in life, if you don't like the TV program, turn it off. If you don't like someone, walk away.
Emily I am so shocked by your post. If he was upfront about his beliefs when I made the appointment they should have told me he doesn't believe in birth control and sex before marriage. I mean what OB/GYN have you been to felt that way. It is very strange. This is a little different then freedom of speech, it was a doctor violation. I felt that he misrepresented himself by not being upfront about being a Catholic OB/GYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisha View Post
WOW!!! I honestly can't believe that!!! It's crazy! I do wonder what he tells people that say they're not Catholic or, ready for this, ATHEISTS!!! huh.gifhuh.gif?
LOL, my friends were telling me that I should have said I was Atheist, I wonder what he would have said?

All I can say is WOW! That is sooo unprofessional and he has no right to talk to you like that. If you ask him for advice on B/C then he can say that he does not believe in the use of B/C so he does not prescribe it. As for asking your religious beliefs and then telling you not to have sex and to go to confession....maybe he should reconsider his profession.

If that is how he wants to practice and he is allowed to practice that way, then he should make it very clear to any potential patients. Maybe he could rename his practice to something stating he is catholic!

When people come into the hospital, especially the ER, there are a lot of times that I don't agree with things patients have done or are doing, but I keep my lips sealed, because they are not there to get lectured about that. They are there to get treated for whatever is wrong. Eg. Circumcision - I don't agree with it, and neither does the one nurse that goes in for them, but the parents aren't there to hear our thoughts, they are there to get a procedure done on their infant son. The only person I really shared my opinions with on that was Larry! And I won!!! LMAO!

Yari, even if you don't want to report him to the board, I would contact your insurance company at least and let them know and maybe they can make a note on their website that he is a strong catholic and follows his beliefs in his practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethrondson View Post
All I can say is WOW! That is sooo unprofessional and he has no right to talk to you like that. If you ask him for advice on B/C then he can say that he does not believe in the use of B/C so he does not prescribe it. As for asking your religious beliefs and then telling you not to have sex and to go to confession....maybe he should reconsider his profession.
If that is how he wants to practice and he is allowed to practice that way, then he should make it very clear to any potential patients. Maybe he could rename his practice to something stating he is catholic!

When people come into the hospital, especially the ER, there are a lot of times that I don't agree with things patients have done or are doing, but I keep my lips sealed, because they are not there to get lectured about that. They are there to get treated for whatever is wrong. Eg. Circumcision - I don't agree with it, and neither does the one nurse that goes in for them, but the parents aren't there to hear our thoughts, they are there to get a procedure done on their infant son. The only person I really shared my opinions with on that was Larry! And I won!!! LMAO!

Yari, even if you don't want to report him to the board, I would contact your insurance company at least and let them know and maybe they can make a note on their website that he is a strong catholic and follows his beliefs in his practice.

great feedback Erica!!!! and P.S. love the new siggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Emily,

his beliefs are not his 'work' - he is a Doctor, who has to adhere to a regulatory body that governs his medical license. he may be a 'private individual' but he is a service provider entrusted with other people's health. it is ridiculous to have other peoples personal opinions imposed upon us in extremely personal situations.

how would you like to go to the bank to make a withdrawl for $1000 - the teller asks you what it is for and you say a political contribution for whatever party - the teller then tells you she won't authorize the withdrawl b/c she doesn't agree with your politics. wait - that is YOUR money right - you shouldn't have to adhere to her beliefs (even if you respect them).

this is a lot bigger than free speech - this is OUR BODIES. not everyone can afford to go to multiple doctors, has access (there are people who live in towns with 1 doctor) or is educated enough to know that there are choices - the significance of Doctor's imposing their personal belief is way beyond 'just walking away'
I agree with Alyssa. He is a registered, board certified doctor. He has taken the same Hippocratic oath as all other practicing doctor's and as such should perform his service accordingly. He's not a naturopath. Eventhough, he placed the notice on the door, it truly is a waste of time for the patient who has to come down to his office and then find that out. I think it is utterly deceptive not to communicate this to patients/potential patients when they call. Additionally, I would report this information to the insurance company, not that he can be penalized but more so that they can update his info (if possible) with his new operating standards. We live in a country where people say and do all kinds of inappropriate things and then try to hide behind freedom of speech. The first amendment doesn't cover him in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karahmia View Post
I agree with Alyssa. He is a registered, board certified doctor. He has taken the same Hippocratic oath as all other practicing doctor's and as such should perform his service accordingly. He's not a naturopath. Eventhough, he placed the notice on the door, it truly is a waste of time for the patient who has to come down to his office and then find that out. I think it is utterly deceptive not to communicate this to patients/potential patients when they call. Additionally, I would report this information to the insurance company, not that he can be penalized but more so that they can update his info (if possible) with his new operating standards. We live in a country where people say and do all kinds of inappropriate things and then try to hide behind freedom of speech. The first amendment doesn't cover him in this situation.
Respectfully, Iâ€m sorry, I didnâ€t mean to be shocking, but was just sharing a different point of view.

Actually it is not illegal to do "inappropriate" things or even things that waste other people's time. Our ideas of what is inappropriate or a waste of time are based upon our opinions. When inappropriate becomes illegal, that's another matter, but it is not a violation of the first amendment to do things that other people perceive as inconvenient. Other people inconvenience us and waste our time and money probably every day of the week to one degree or another.

Iâ€m glad in this country we all have the right to express our ideas and just because we disagree with each other, we arenâ€t arrested or silenced, like in many other repressive countries of the world. Everyone has their own priorities and beliefs and in the marketplace of free ideas, we all benefit from sharing different perspectives on issues, hopefully without belittling each other for thinking differently. One of my favorite teachers in school was government because of the discussion and she used to say, if one of us is forbidden to speak, then none of us is free to disagree.

Quote:
Respectfully, Iâ€m sorry, I didnâ€t mean to be shocking, but was just sharing a different point of view.

Actually it is not illegal to do "inappropriate" things or even things that waste other people's time. Our ideas of what is inappropriate or a waste of time are based upon our opinions. When inappropriate becomes illegal, that's another matter, but it is not a violation of the first amendment to do things that other people perceive as inconvenient. Other people inconvenience us and waste our time and money probably every day of the week to one degree or another.

Iâ€m glad in this country we all have the right to express our ideas and just because we disagree with each other, we arenâ€t arrested or silenced, like in many other repressive countries of the world. Everyone has their own priorities and beliefs and in the marketplace of free ideas, we all benefit from sharing different perspectives on issues, hopefully without belittling each other for thinking differently. One of my favorite teachers in school was government because of the discussion and she used to say, if one of us is forbidden to speak, then none of us is free to disagree.
Quote:
Actually, his beliefs and his work are who he is and I think it's great for him to be up front about what he believes and to stand with his convictions. He is a private individual, not a government employee. Everyone can make their own choice about whether or not they want to go there. He doesn't waste your time, he lets you know up front where he's coming from. We still have freedom of speech in this country and he was exercising it. We really need to stand up for our freedom to believe the way we want to, even if no one else agrees. Lots of people's beliefs are offensive to me, but I just walk away and let them do their own thing and I'll go do mine. Just like everything else in life, if you don't like the TV program, turn it off. If you don't like someone, walk away.
Emily,

I think you may have misread my response. I want to be clear that in no way do I feel as if he doesn't have the right to practice medicine in the way he sees fit but I do think he shows a certain disregard for his patients time and money not making them privy to his policies prior to them arriving for a visit.

I addressed the first amendment in my reply only as a reference to the fact that he did not exercise freedom on speech as you mentioned. If anything, he exercised his personal choice and as such it is not related to the freedom of speech. Additionally, personal choice and freedom of speech still make him accountable regardless of your intent, religious or political.

I hope the responses don't set you aback. This issue has obviously touched a nerve on the forum.