Calling all St. John Brides...

TheTomato

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are working with Stacy Mulcare from Ceremonies of St. John. We're having the ceremony on Trunk Bay and the reception on the beach at the Westin. We're also going to have a casual welcome party at Beach Bar. Andrea... any "resident advice?"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Friends!

Just wanted to say I am going to keep a close eye on this thread. I am still in the very early research stage (you know, when you have no idea where to go?) and St. John is a top contender.

But, of course, I have never been there, or to any of the USVI, so am really planning in the dark here. I was hoping to take some time in Sept to head down to St. Thomas and St. John to get some ideas and meet some folks, but flights from NYC are in the neighborhood of $600 a person which seems a little much for a quick trip. I don't think the FI would appreciate me going on my own... :)

Anyway... if anyone has had their wedding here already and has advice, I am ALL EARS.

Thanks!

Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwlkr View Post
Hi Friends!

Just wanted to say I am going to keep a close eye on this thread. I am still in the very early research stage (you know, when you have no idea where to go?) and St. John is a top contender.

But, of course, I have never been there, or to any of the USVI, so am really planning in the dark here. I was hoping to take some time in Sept to head down to St. Thomas and St. John to get some ideas and meet some folks, but flights from NYC are in the neighborhood of $600 a person which seems a little much for a quick trip. I don't think the FI would appreciate me going on my own... :)

Anyway... if anyone has had their wedding here already and has advice, I am ALL EARS.

Thanks!

Terra
Terra - I just checked Orbitz and found flights for around $425 mid to late September if you go Thurs-Mon. Sat-Mon is cheapest, but I don't know if that would be enough time??

I've been down to St Thomas and St John 6 or 7 times and we are going again on the 8th of September to meet with vendors, so let me know if you have any questions! My future in-laws have lived there for 9 years, so I have access to great local information, too :)

Anaiah, I'm so jealous of your reconnaissance trip! I am (terrified) planning the whole thing without ever actually being there so anything you could suggest would be helpful. We have family and friends staying at lots of different places in the Cruz bay area. I think the photographer my planner chose is Crown Images (Photography by Sage Crown Parker) and the video is Brandi Mays. The florist is East End Florist (I think they're actually in St. Thomas). My biggest concern is shipping things there. My villa company offered to receive some packages but recommended I send everything priority mail a month in advance! Anyway, congrats and hope you have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTomato View Post
Anaiah, I'm so jealous of your reconnaissance trip! I am (terrified) planning the whole thing without ever actually being there so anything you could suggest would be helpful. We have family and friends staying at lots of different places in the Cruz bay area. I think the photographer my planner chose is Crown Images (Photography by Sage Crown Parker) and the video is Brandi Mays. The florist is East End Florist (I think they're actually in St. Thomas). My biggest concern is shipping things there. My villa company offered to receive some packages but recommended I send everything priority mail a month in advance! Anyway, congrats and hope you have a great time.
It's definitely a help to have future family down there and be able meet with vendors! But, I'm not using a planner at all, so everything is on me...

St John is GORGEOUS and most of the island is set aside as National Park land so its much less developed than St Thomas. There are several great hikes on St John and lots of ruins from former sugarcane(?) plantations. Be sure to visit the Anaberg plantation ruins. Great view and lots of history.

That's great that your villa will allow you to ship packages to them. That will be so helpful. I definitely recommend shipping with plenty of time - St Thomas mail can be unreliable... Think of sending packages as a good thing - you'll force yourself to be organized way ahead of time and then all you have to do is get on the plane! :)

Good luck! I'm sure everything will be wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwlkr View Post
Wow, thank you for looking for me! We were thinking to go for a week, so Saturday to following Sunday. I will check out Orbitz and see what I can find.

Thanks again!! Everyone here is so helpful.

Terra
A week would be great! Sorry, I was thinking for some reason you'd be going down alone for a couple days...silly me. With the FI is MUCH better. I just checked Orbitz for flexible trips in September/early Oct and it looks like it's $395 with 1-stop for Sat-Sat on Sep 13, 20, or 27...or $437 direct...on American. :)