The new Dreams Tulum thread! (Post all DT Qs&As here)

Wow, I just came across this thread... don't have time with my busy work schedule to visit very often... I am sooooooooooo impressed!! Sunbride, what a fantastic job you have done, thanks for all your hard work. I have been a huge fan of yours from the very first day you posted pictures of your wedding ceremony gazebo and like many others, will be attempting to mirror that look on my wedding day. I have purchased the tulle and the starfish and some beautiful teal table runners for my dinner (20 guests approx) from an Indian wedding planner in my area (they have such amazing fabrics, sparkly and gorgeous colors!)

I have a few questions that could perhaps be answered by yourself or someone else:

1. I booked under the old pricing, so what would be a great "rain" option for my cocktail hour and reception dinner? I am having 20 guests approx. and currently have the deck beside the adult pool booked. If it rains, I will need another location. Is the Seaside Grill under cover? I could possibly use that as a "rain" alternative. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. What is the difference between the Mexican Trio and the Carribean Trio? How do I know which one to choose for my cocktail hour? Any thoughts?

3. Signature drink for cocktail hour - perhaps any of the members would have a suggestion of something suitable? I like fruity drinks (like martinis made with juice) but something appropriate to Mexico would be good. Any suggestions?

Anyhow... here is my info for everyone:

Username: jodylynn007

Names (optional, first names only): Jody and Steve

Date & Time: November 5, 2008

Wedding package: Ultimate

Wedding extras (and cost charged):

a. CD of photos from photographer for wedding ceremony (not sure of costs likely until after the wedding) and separate TTD session day after the wedding;

b. purchased wedding favors off of eBay retailer (Shop eBay Canada Store - unique wedding favors:: fall and autumn, beach), awaiting receipt and starfish also off of eBay (Shop eBay Canada Store - Wagners Southern Store:: SPECIALS, STARFISH), awaiting receipt. I feel I got a good deal on everything.

Type of ceremony: Symbolic

Coordinator: Sandra at first, now Landy

Number of guests: 17 booked, expecting 20

Ceremony location: Beach outside Seaside Grill

Reception location: poolside by adult pool

Photographer for wedding: resort photographer

Photographer for TTD: Jean Marcus Strole! WHOO WHOO

Videographer: resort

Just click on smaller pictures to see larger images...

Wedding favor:

Click the image to open in full size.

Place cards:

How my table will look (inspiration photo):

Wow, that took a long time to create this message! ... Just have to appreciate Sunbride even more now... thanks!!!!

you can't for sure arrange a free upgrade in advance (though I'm sure if you invest the time schmoozing a reservationist they might be able to make it happen)...when I went for my site visit, I had them check their occupancy for January 06 and 07 and both were fully booked, so I'm guessing this January will be too so there likely won't be much availability to upgrade (free or paid) once you arrive.

per suggestions from other brides, i'm just going to be honest with my guests and tell them if they want an upgraded room, they should go ahead and pay for it upfront when they book and not to expect too much from the basic rooms.

sorry i don't have better info for you!

Hi ladies!

I've finally received a response in regards to having a small reception dinner at the massage hut.

It depends upon the package you choose. Because we have selected the Ultimate package, this shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, Lizet has indicated that there would be the $750 fee to have a "private dinner"

Hope this helps,

Rachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodylynn007 View Post
I have a few questions that could perhaps be answered by yourself or someone else:

1. I booked under the old pricing, so what would be a great "rain" option for my cocktail hour and reception dinner? I am having 20 guests approx. and currently have the deck beside the adult pool booked. If it rains, I will need another location. Is the Seaside Grill under cover? I could possibly use that as a "rain" alternative. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. What is the difference between the Mexican Trio and the Carribean Trio? How do I know which one to choose for my cocktail hour? Any thoughts?

3. Signature drink for cocktail hour - perhaps any of the members would have a suggestion of something suitable? I like fruity drinks (like martinis made with juice) but something appropriate to Mexico would be good. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the compliments!

1) If you aren't doing dinner at the seaside grill, then cocktail hour there would be great (if dinner is there they will probably be busy setting it up) but they may not allow it as they have to be able to serve the other guests! So I would expect they wouldn't allow it. I guess it would depend on the time of your cocktail hour. Other indoor options would be the lobby bar (better for small to medium size group I think) or the Veranda Bar (in the same area as all the restaurants and chapel etc). The veranda bar is more rustic, less modern but it is huge.

2) Caribbean trio is like the one you can see in a couple of my pics (not that we got them for the wedding, but they happened to be playing at the resort shortly before so you can see my husband and family with them), more relaxed, wearing caribbean shirts. One of the 2007 brides (LisaG maybe?) posted pics of the Mexican trio (aka mariachi) a long time ago in the old thread. Something more like this:
http://www.alivenetwork.com/images/e...achi3large.jpg (just a random image I googled, not actual image)
For the Mariachi, you have the choice between the trio (same price as the caribbean trio) or the full 7 person mariachi (approx double the price) In terms of the music, I can't really say what the different style is like. The instruments are different. The Mariachi is more of a Mexican thing where as the Caribbean is, well, for lack of better words, Caribbean (i.e. not just Mexico)

3) My suggestion would be a mango daiquari, yum! I had several while I was there. Strawberry daiquaries are good too, but they are quite sweet, mango ones are less so. They also have a drink called Mayan Riviera which is a bunch of funky colors layered. I didn't like the taste personally but it looked really cool!

EDIT: just remembered, I think it was DonandCorri who posted a pic of the mariachi back in the old thread.

Hey Girls! I officially booked a few weeks ago...the big day is July 18, 2009.

I can't decide if I'm going to do a site visit yet. I want to but I'm thinking about saving that money and paying for my flower girl and ring bearer's flights to the wedding instead. There's so much great info on this site that makes me feel more comfortable doing that.

So this is my only concern...the reception location. What if I get there and the reception location is already booked by the other bride that will have their wedding there? There are two weddings a day right so it's possible? I'm not as worried as the ceremony because I've heard that they only have one wedding ceremony going on at a time. I also just read about booking the rain options too...which makes it even more complicated.

Can I go ahead and book the reception site now or is it way too far in advance? Did you all wait to you got there and saw everything?

Also, has anyone done the beach reception? I can't decide...I really don't want to pay the expense of the dance floor but I think it would be hard to dance without it.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

You can definitely reserve your reception site now. Just tell Landy you want to book it to make sure that another bride doesn't reserve it first.

You could do the beach reception and then go to the disco for dancing. Many people do that. And the disco is usually dead so you'd likely have it all to yourselves.

LisaG emailed me a bigger version of the mariachi pic so I reposted it in my post above

Morning ladies,

Found this stunning pic from Jewels wedding. We are DEFINITELY going to mimic it during our photo shoot, so thought I'd share. Considering we are seriously considering a reception at the massage hut (less than 20 people) it could be quite pretty.

Just wondering what your thoughts are for the large glass urns...they wont be easy to transport on the plane, any suggestions or similar alternatives?

jewel.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelannmartin View Post
Just wondering what your thoughts are for the large glass urns...they wont be easy to transport on the plane, any suggestions or similar alternatives?
There is a Wal-Mart in Playa del Carmen (which is about 30-45 mins away, basically halfway from Cancun to Dreams, 45$ taxi) and you could likely find similar vases there.