how do i do the dress shopping thing?

I was really lucky I got mine in the first shop and it was the first dress i tried on lol

I had my aunt with me which to be truthful wasn't really helpful lol she did my head in!!

I looked at some dresses and was like "no, no, no" saw a one i liked tried it on and loved it. Aunt made me try it on in a diff colour as she wanted me to get a diff colour lol to keep the peace i did but as i did the shop girl walked past and said nah i prefer the other lmao

So that was it bought and it took me about 20 mins- open mind is the key just like Erin said

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking the internet for like months in advance, and I searched for specific dresses I loved. Then I looked up al the dealers who had the dresses in the shops, and I start visiting all the shops untill I found my dress.

I always went with my mother an MIL, because thats kindda tradition in Holland I guess..we had alot of fun and always made it a day out with the girls. Just like you I hate staring people watching you when you come out of the fitting cubicle, I hate it when they do it when I shop for normal clothes, so with trying on these special wedding dresses its even worse I felt.

So I always planned my visits at the latest at the day, so the shop would be very quiet..just perfect for me...

I also had a huge problem with the sellers stending by me in de fitting area, while I was but naked, and they were lifting me in and out all kinds of dresses, sooo embarresing, but seriously, you dont have to worry about for one second, because these woman, have seen thousands and thousands of half nakes woman, in all sizes an shapes, and they know how to handle you,,I felt really comfortable after a few dresses, almost the same as if it was your mother.. they really want to make it very special for you!

I found my dress after visiting four shops. Now I found my dress, and Im very happy, but me and my moms miss the days out :-) They were alot of fun,,smile03.gif

I was mortified the first time I went to try on dresses, and it turned out to be a much better experience than I expected.

The biggest thing for me was to keep an open mind. What I thought would look good and what actually did look good were 2 very different things. I tried on many different styles, and it was obvious pretty quickly what style worked and what didn't.

I agree too about sticking within your price range. I didn't see any reason to try on a dress I couldn't afford.

I have went three times and it has been really fun. Right now I am having a hard time scheduling with my girls another time to go. So my question is, has anyone went dress shopping solo? I think it would be a little strange. But there are 2 shops I want to check out before MIL comes to visit. I want her to help me make my final decision.

Yamille, I THINK (from what I remember) that RK bridal only allows you to bring in 7 dresses @ a time.. AND you have to sign up for the dressing room when you arrive.. you're going on a Sat, so be prepared for busy-ness!!

I've done multiple places in a day w/ family before.. you can try bridal gardens (dresses supposedly discounted by upto 70%) in chelsea, but they're by appt.. actually going there next wed w/ a friend that recently got engaged.

There's also the bridal building on B'way & 37th / 38th st.. that's not too far from RK, so you can try that one on the same day as RK..

I'm sure you know already, but there's a David's Bridal on Northern Blvd & 46th St. in Queens - Woodside.

My girlfriend & I are going to Filene's Basement's 'Running of the Bride's' in DC.. it's on Fri 8/1, so we're going on a little road trip Thurs night & camping out in front (Lmao.. never done that b4!).. dresses are heavily discounted.. the one in NY was in February & they only do it once a yr, so we missed that one!

Anyway, hope that helps!

The first time I went shopping was not a great experience for me. I went after work all stressed and tired, and the shop wasn;t pleasant.

My advice, go shopping with the intention of having fun and don't expect to find 'the dress'. The second experience, I was relaxed, well rested and tried on anything and everything. I spent about 2 and half hours trying on dresses and ended up finding 'it'! I would not recommend more than that cause I was exhausted by the end!

I also advise wearing modest panties...I wore lace boy shorts, but then the lady had to measure me for the dress I was ordering and got down on her knees in front of me to measure my hips and all I could think of was, I wish I wore solid (not see-through) panties! She was professional, but I was uncomfortable.

Other than that, bring a strapless bra so you don't have bra staps showing. Nothing worse than a beautiful white gown with black bra straps!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarwood2Be View Post
I have went three times and it has been really fun. Right now I am having a hard time scheduling with my girls another time to go. So my question is, has anyone went dress shopping solo? I think it would be a little strange. But there are 2 shops I want to check out before MIL comes to visit. I want her to help me make my final decision.
I went by myself the first time. Just to get a feel of what I wanted and what style looked best. Then, I went with the girls. It made it a lot easier for me because I already knew what I was looking for and I didn't have to try on a billion dresses in front of everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryjbrown View Post
I did it in 3 days to make it easy. The first day was just my best friend and she said it was time to go "work". She had me try on about 20 dresses one of every style, neckline, fabric, everything. She did this with me to 1. get the emotions out of the way (which I appreciated because every dress was amazing...) and 2. so when it came to the day to go with mom and girl friends, I knew what looked good on me and had a few to re-try on and picked new ones.

I then went back to the same place with mom only to get her emotions out of the way and show here what I had narrowed it down to.
This is GREAT advice! I think it would be good to try to narrow it down to several that you & your mom like before everyone gives their opinion.

i finished in one day. i made appts. at 4 places, each 2 hrs apart. some i showed up early, and the last one i didn't even go to b/c i found my dress at the third.

if you find your dress that first day, don't buy it immediately. take some time to think, look online to price match, decide if it's THE dress.

don't nix any dresses. if you want strapless and the attendant brings out halter, try it...b/c what do you have to lose - 5 min?

i was never nudies in the store. my mom or the attendants were always right there to zip/tie me, and the attendant put the dresses back on the rack.

I didn't read everyone's responses but this is what i did. I did two stores in one day. I had found "the dress" in the first store but still went to the 2nd store just to make sure. After trying on almost 20 dresses in the first store, i really wasn't in the mood to try much on in the 2nd store. So i would spread it over a couple of days if you could. I wore boy shorts but forgot my strapless bras which i wish i had. Most places have shoes to try on the dresses with so you can see what your dress looks like with heels, but you might want to bring a pair just in case.

And i hate shopping with people but i was really greatful my mom and sis were there to give me their opinion, you try on so many dresses that it's nice to have them keep track of what ones they like and you like.

Goodluck finding your dress!