nyc - where to have bday party for dh?

1elephant

Ooh I'm so late to this.

First of all if you really want Tao I can call my friend he is the manager there and might be able to give you a good discount.

Secondly, unfortunately the places with good ambiance are pricey. That's the unfortunate part of living in NYC. LOL.

Nobu is good too. The food is awesome but its dropped off the radar for awhile. Sushi Samba is good (all locations) but it is kind of small. But I think your friends would def like it. Its a good vibe there.

I personally do not like Ruby Foo's. My food there has always been "eh". I wouldn't recommend it.

Megu is awesome but its also expensive. Buddha Bar and Budhakon are great too but again pricey.

I also love Asia De cuba.

I think whichever one you go with will be great!

*edited* I wanted to add that Koi is pretty good too.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren c. View Post
yeah, i'd have the coordinator or whoever not start those 2-3 hrs until we got there, b/c it's a surprise and guests will be there before us. hopefully we'd be done eating w/in those 2-3 hrs (3 hrs at megu, 2 at stanton social), and then go to the bar or somewhere else. i need to make it clear to his friends that i'm not paying for them all night. i wouldn't ask them to chip in, but worse comes to worse, if we're still sitting there, i can make sure the waiters know to tell guests that the open bar is closed. if i were going out to dinner for someone else's bday, i wouldn't expect them to pay for dinner, so that would be a bonus for me. i could even put it on the e-vite....hrm....

megu tribeca has better reviews than midtown. tribeca has 4-5 stars on yelp, whereas midtown has 2-3. however, i just found out there is a room fee, even if it's not private...which makes no sense to me...

i'll go check out son cubano. what kind of music is it? dh is into electronica/paul van dyke, but something tells me that's not what's played there (not like it matters, we can go elsewhere afterward).

EDIT: at son cubano, a dj starts at 11:30, so that would be interesting if we're still there then...i just emailed the contact, and asked if it's possible to have a large group w/o renting out their private room. there is no room fee for megu if i eat in the main dining.

so let's say you get an invite for a party...would YOU expect to pay for dinner? drinks? would you be surprised if you were in the main dining area with other patrons rather than in your own room? (would you be surprised if you knew i was on a teacher's salary wink.gif )...while i may need to cut some corners, i would just HATE for it to look tacky in any way.
If i got an invite to a bday dinner for one of my friends, i would expect to pay for my portion, especially if it was a friend that was a teacher.. so it would be a NICE surprise to know that it would be covered by the host! Additionally, i think it would be totally fine to be in the main dining area.. i don't think that part is tacky at all.

P.S. Son cubano doesn't play electronica really.. they play a mix of everything.. I think Cielo (in meatpacking also) does.. but you'd have to call to confirm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
Ooh I'm so late to this.

First of all if you really want Tao I can call my friend he is the manager there and might be able to give you a good discount.

Secondly, unfortunately the places with good ambiance are pricey. That's the unfortunate part of living in NYC. LOL.

Nobu is good too. The food is awesome but its dropped off the radar for awhile. Sushi Samba is good (all locations) but it is kind of small. But I think your friends would def like it. Its a good vibe there.

I personally do not like Ruby Foo's. My food there has always been "eh". I wouldn't recommend it.

Megu is awesome but its also expensive. Buddha Bar and Budhakon are great too but again pricey.

I also love Asia De cuba.

I think whichever one you go with will be great!

*edited* I wanted to add that Koi is pretty good too.
GLENDA - i'd LOVE LOVE LOVE if you could call your friend!!!!! omg, it would be the BEST gift ever...SO much better than a random restaurant. let me know what details you need. i would owe you MAJORLY...seriously, i'm totally in love with you right now smile105.gif

we loved nobu when we went, but for some reason, dh loved tao more...

megu turns out to be $100/pp for 3 hrs open bar and dinner. add tax and tip, and we're talking $2200 for 15 ppl. our party should be between 15-20, but i'm hoping to stay closer to 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybar View Post
If i got an invite to a bday dinner for one of my friends, i would expect to pay for my portion, especially if it was a friend that was a teacher.. so it would be a NICE surprise to know that it would be covered by the host! Additionally, i think it would be totally fine to be in the main dining area.. i don't think that part is tacky at all.

P.S. Son cubano doesn't play electronica really.. they play a mix of everything.. I think Cielo (in meatpacking also) does.. but you'd have to call to confirm..
it's funny, i don't think his friends would ever expect me to pay, but i hear his mom in the back of my head saying "shouldn't it be private? shouldn't you do this? shouldn't you ...?"

Lauren I'm going to call him now. You said its for around 12 people right? You just want a prefix menu with drinks included? And you want approximately $100 per person right?

I agree I think if I was invited to a b-day dinner for a friend I would expect to pay for my portion. I don't know how everyone else does it, but when we go out for someone's b-day we pay for our own portion and we usually all chip in for the person whose b-day it is. But since your throwing him the party I would think your guests would just expect to pay their own portion. They will def be shocked to find that you paid for it all. Places like the ones you are looking at are super expensive. I don't think anyone would expect you to foot the entire bill.

Quote:
Lauren I'm going to call him now. You said its for around 12 people right? You just want a prefix menu with drinks included? And you want approximately $100 per person right?

I agree I think if I was invited to a b-day dinner for a friend I would expect to pay for my portion. I don't know how everyone else does it, but when we go out for someone's b-day we pay for our own portion and we usually all chip in for the person whose b-day it is. But since your throwing him the party I would think your guests would just expect to pay their own portion. They will def be shocked to find that you paid for it all. Places like the ones you are looking at are super expensive. I don't think anyone would expect you to foot the entire bill.
it'll be 15-20 people now...$100 would be perfect, sit down dinner, drinks for at least 2 hours. there's no rock (to say you rock) so i sent a chinese takeout box instead, lol....keep me posted!

dh is the first one in his group to celebrate turning 30. his friend has a party every year and gets a few bottles for a few hours and that's it, but he's 27. i bet when he's 30 he'll celebrate in a bigger way.

Quote:

I'm with Glenda on paying my own way and then for the bday person as well. That's how we usually do it. I think it's super sweet that you are hosting it and will be a nice surprise but in no way should you feel cheap if you don't do it all night. Cielo definately plays electronica. It's a fun dancing spot if that's what you want.

I'll chime in too and say I agree -- I would fall over from shock if I found out that the host had paid for everything from my meal to my drinks! I even think my FI and his friend's might have a hard time allowing any of our friend's wives/FIs/girlfriends to pay for everything...so anything you offer one way or the other is icing on the cake and doesn't even orbit in the realm of cheap!

Second - Don't let the parents get to you!!! I have to give myself this pep talk all the time because I'm not that great at following my own advice, but that doesn't mean it's not good advice! :) I'm like you and I try to please my FMIL, so I understand, but at the end of the day the people you really need to please are you and your DH! Besides, with all the thought and planning that you've put into this already, hopefully your in-law's will see the love behind it and that will silence their coulda, woulda, shouldas! :)

So question, just throwing this out there -- would it even be an option in your mind to consider supplying longer open bar/bottle service (maybe even a round of champagne to toast, or something)...but having everyone else cover their meal? That way you maybe can spend a little more on the location and/or room? I totally understand if you want to take care everything, just trying to help brainstorm ideas and options - anything to make Tao maybe work within the budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *lauren* View Post
so let's say you get an invite for a party...would YOU expect to pay for dinner? drinks? would you be surprised if you were in the main dining area with other patrons rather than in your own room? (would you be surprised if you knew i was on a teacher's salary wink.gif )...while i may need to cut some corners, i would just HATE for it to look tacky in any way.
Quote:
Lauren,

I am with Glenda on this ... I really don't think anyone expects you to foot the entire bill - what would be nice is if you have a set price for the food and ask the guests to contribute that amount and then you take care of the alcohol - for 12 to 15 people in NYC that will easily cost you $1500 anyway!

Alyssa

The new all the rage restaurants have entertainment and belly dancing is great for a guys bday. Lucky Changs is much better for a girl's night out. I found the below article look into it it may be fun and for a fun after party Red Rock West (the original Coyote Ugly)is always fun but crowded so don't go if you don't like crowds.

Belly-Dancing Restaurants

Forget what your mother said: Staring is required when belly dancers are present. Season bites of baba ghannouj with a little shimmy.

Add a Comment

1 Comment | Add Yours

00 Comments | Add Yours

* By Ellen Carpenter

* Published Dec 9, 2002

1. Le Figaro Café

Live music and dancing are the special every Sunday night at this Village coffeehouse. Order a latte, and donâ€t be shy: Audience participation is encouraged.

184 Bleecker Street; 212-677-1100.

2. Chez Es Saada

Dancers snake up and down the rose-petal-strewn staircase at this Moroccan restaurant and lounge each weekend. Our advice: Skip dinner and head straight for the basement bar.

42 East 1st Street; 212-777-5617.

3. Le Souk

The male belly dancer is fetching, but the North African food is the true star: The citrus-prune lamb tagine will send you to a state of euphoria. Order a hookah for the table once you clean your plates.

47 Avenue B; 212-777-5454.

4. Tagine Dining Gallery

A highlight of Ninth Avenueâ€s international-food strip, Tagine adds a tummy twirl to every pheasant pie, Thursdays through Saturdays. And there are more types of couscous on the menu than rings on the dancers†fingers.

537 Ninth Avenue, at 40th Street; 212-564-7292.

5. Turkuaz

Thursday night is always a belly-baring party at this West Side hot spot. Stay by the bar for a Turkish beer, or order a döner kebab in the velvet-tented dining room.

2637 Broadway, at 100th Street; 212-665-9541.