BDW Biggest Loser Season 2 Official CHAT thread...

Oh no! I'm sure everything will be fine, but I'll say a prayer for both of them anyway. At least there was someone close to she didn't have to go through this alone!

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Ann is doing well. She's 31wks, almost there! Take each day for what it is, another day for the baby to get stronger and healthier. The steroid shots they give to mature the baby's lungs work wonders! We're all sending you and your baby good thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
Hi girls! I wanted to randomly babble a few thoughts:

1. As corny as it sounds I think it really helps to continually post here. Its almost like it makes you accountable and you are more likely to want to work hard if you know that you will have to come back and tell us what your eating. LOl. Sounds stupid but its true. That's why a lot of people who lose a significant amount of weight on WW are the ones who attend meetings.
Totally agree. I'm glad you feel the same way. I've been feeling like I need to go to posting rehab or something, but glad I have another cohort!

Quote:
2. I used to be horrible at portion control. But here is what I learned to do. Buy yourself one of those WW Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine meals. After you are done eating it, wash the plastic container that your food came in and use this plate from now on. When you make you food, keep in mind that you should not be stuffing your face with more than that plateful. Yes it seems tiny, and yes at first it is really hard. But once you get used to it (after about the second full day) you will realize that you will start to feel satisfied with much less food in your stomach.
I love this tip!!! Very good idea!!! I've actually started ordering from kids menus at restaurants and it's shocking how much food they serve. It is PLENTY. My only social activities are meeting friends for dinner, so if I can't find something healthy, I at least order a kid's portion.

Quote:
4. I also get dizzy and even nauseas sometimes from working out. Here is some stuff you can do. Before working out eat some peanut butter. It will give you the sugar you need and it is a great source of energy. It usually stops you from feeling dizzy. For the girls who come home from the gym and want to eat everything in their path, STOP and first drink lots of water. Your body is exhausted and dehydrated. Once you have liquid inside you eat a spoonful of peanut butter. It will balance out your insulin levels and help you stop craving sugar. If you must have a soda drink a zero calorie sprite or coke. I promise you they taste pretty much the same thing as the real ones. They also have zero carbs which is great.
LOL at the thought of coming home completely dehydrated and putting a spoonful of peanut butter in my mouth. My lord, I can feel it sticking to the roof of my mouth just thinking about it! I think I'd have to drink 3 gallons of water before I could eat peanut butter. cheesy.gif But that's a good tip. I'm not sure why I got so dizzy the other day. I still didn't even feel right the entire next day either, so I didn't work out. I'm planning on taking today off too. I have some knee problems and it's been acting up since that class, so I really think I pushed myself WAY too hard... sad.gif

Quote:
5. You will always lose a lot of weight in the first week. So don't feel like 7 or 8 pounds is not normal b/c everyone's body is different. Most of it is water weight. A lot of us lost a lot of weight the first week and then we staggered off to a 1.5-3 pound weight per week.
Okay good. I have never in my life lost that much weight in that short of a time period and I had always heard it was unhealthy to lose that much so quickly. That combined with how cruddy I was feeling after my workouts had me a bit worried. sad.gif

Quote:
6. For the girls who are plateauing like me. I got an exercise program from a friend of mine (who was dating a trainer). This is a cardio program for anyone that wants to try it. You have to do cardio 6 days a week and rest one day a week. The first day you do the pre-core/elliptical/arc trainer (any of those is fine). You will do 45 minutes. You do 2 minutes going as fast as you can (at whatever speed that maybe) and then 1 minute at a regular pace but at a high intensity (meaning that its hard for you to move forward). You keep alternating for those 45 minutes (2 minutes super fast, then 1 minute at a difficult intensity and then back to 2 minutes of super fast again). The second day you do the treadmill. You should do a light job for 30 minutes. Then the third day you go back to the elliptical machine doing the same thing I mentioned before.

You keep doing this so your body is constantly in shock and so that you don't injure your knees running too much on the treadmill. Once you get more advanced you can do 2 minutes of your fastest speed on the treadmill and then 1 minute at a regular speed. I started yesterday and I burned almost twice the calories that I was burning before. I warn you though, this is super tough and challenging.

The trainer warned her not to do it if your just starting so I would only reccomend this if you are physically active or if you have at least got a couple of weeks under your belt.

Also, instead of doing weights with rests in between you can do supersets back to back so that you are fatiguing your muscles more and it becomes almost like a cardio workout.

Hope this helps!
That sounds very similiar to the exercise portion of the Body for Life program! Have you tried it? It's a GREAT program - very healthy. I tried it once and found it a bit too regimented for my personality and work schedule (6 small meals a day, measured portions of carbs/protein; 6 workouts a day with intervals to increase and lower your heartrate to shock your system as you mentioned), but it really is the best program I've seen! I just can't seem to stick with it, but the fundamentals I've learned from that program will be with me forever!

Thanks for posting all of this!! Here's to getting you out of your plateau soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
Oh no! I'm sure everything will be fine, but I'll say a prayer for both of them anyway. At least there was someone close to she didn't have to go through this alone!
I know! How horrible that she is away from home!! sad.gif I'm so glad someone could be there with her!

All my thoughts are with Ann & Nugget right now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek View Post
Good job this week girls. i'm going home and running on my elliptical. that means i'm going to have to take all the clothes i have hanging on it off. hehe
That's the first step! lol

I missed the gym today. I went walking around the lake earlier today & then stopped off at my friends garden centre. They were totally swamped so I ended up doing some "free slave labour" as I like to call it! lol I delivered some trees, helped some customers & then watched another friends kids while she shopped with her Mom at the garden centre. (and by watching I mean carrying them around for an hour because ones a baby & the other didn't want to get her feet dirty! lol)

It wouldn't have been much of a work out anyway because apparantly Mat pulled him hamstring so he's in alot of pain & went to his chiro instead of the gym. And I need motivation - can not workout alone yet!

I guess I'll just head out for another long walk tonight. It's better than doing nothing I guess!!

Thanks for all the great advice girls!! Lots of the pointers I already know, I'm just too lazy to follow them! hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opice34 View Post
Totally agree. I'm glad you feel the same way. I've been feeling like I need to go to posting rehab or something, but glad I have another cohort!

I love this tip!!! Very good idea!!! I've actually started ordering from kids menus at restaurants and it's shocking how much food they serve. It is PLENTY. My only social activities are meeting friends for dinner, so if I can't find something healthy, I at least order a kid's portion.
i may have mentioned this before, but i also ask for a box before i start eating. that way i can put part of it away before i start. sometimes before i go out, i eat an apple so i'm not starving when i get there. at ww, they say that you should drink a whole glass of water once the food arrives, but before you start eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opice34 View Post
LOL at the thought of coming home completely dehydrated and putting a spoonful of peanut butter in my mouth. My lord, I can feel it sticking to the roof of my mouth just thinking about it! I think I'd have to drink 3 gallons of water before I could eat peanut butter. cheesy.gif But that's a good tip. I'm not sure why I got so dizzy the other day. I still didn't even feel right the entire next day either, so I didn't work out. I'm planning on taking today off too. I have some knee problems and it's been acting up since that class, so I really think I pushed myself WAY too hard... sad.gif
i agree w/ peanut butter before working out, and i can eat it in large portions at any time...which is why i stick to cucumbers and hummus when i get home. it tides me over until dinner. there's a bit of protein in the hummus and water in the cukes.

btw, a lot of chain restaurants have their info published online, and at food facts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
Hi girls! I wanted to randomly babble a few thoughts:

1. As corny as it sounds I think it really helps to continually post here. Its almost like it makes you accountable and you are more likely to want to work hard if you know that you will have to come back and tell us what your eating. LOl. Sounds stupid but its true. That's why a lot of people who lose a significant amount of weight on WW are the ones who attend meetings.

2. I used to be horrible at portion control. But here is what I learned to do. Buy yourself one of those WW Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine meals. After you are done eating it, wash the plastic container that your food came in and use this plate from now on. When you make you food, keep in mind that you should not be stuffing your face with more than that plateful. Yes it seems tiny, and yes at first it is really hard. But once you get used to it (after about the second full day) you will realize that you will start to feel satisfied with much less food in your stomach.

3. Drinks lots of water. I usually drink lots of water before I start eating. Then I drink water in between bites so that I fill up on water more and less on food.

4. I also get dizzy and even nauseas sometimes from working out. Here is some stuff you can do. Before working out eat some peanut butter. It will give you the sugar you need and it is a great source of energy. It usually stops you from feeling dizzy. For the girls who come home from the gym and want to eat everything in their path, STOP and first drink lots of water. Your body is exhausted and dehydrated. Once you have liquid inside you eat a spoonful of peanut butter. It will balance out your insulin levels and help you stop craving sugar. If you must have a soda drink a zero calorie sprite or coke. I promise you they taste pretty much the same thing as the real ones. They also have zero carbs which is great.

5. You will always lose a lot of weight in the first week. So don't feel like 7 or 8 pounds is not normal b/c everyone's body is different. Most of it is water weight. A lot of us lost a lot of weight the first week and then we staggered off to a 1.5-3 pound weight per week.

6. For the girls who are plateauing like me. I got an exercise program from a friend of mine (who was dating a trainer). This is a cardio program for anyone that wants to try it. You have to do cardio 6 days a week and rest one day a week. The first day you do the pre-core/elliptical/arc trainer (any of those is fine). You will do 45 minutes. You do 2 minutes going as fast as you can (at whatever speed that maybe) and then 1 minute at a regular pace but at a high intensity (meaning that its hard for you to move forward). You keep alternating for those 45 minutes (2 minutes super fast, then 1 minute at a difficult intensity and then back to 2 minutes of super fast again). The second day you do the treadmill. You should do a light job for 30 minutes. Then the third day you go back to the elliptical machine doing the same thing I mentioned before.

You keep doing this so your body is constantly in shock and so that you don't injure your knees running too much on the treadmill. Once you get more advanced you can do 2 minutes of your fastest speed on the treadmill and then 1 minute at a regular speed. I started yesterday and I burned almost twice the calories that I was burning before. I warn you though, this is super tough and challenging.

The trainer warned her not to do it if your just starting so I would only reccomend this if you are physically active or if you have at least got a couple of weeks under your belt.

Also, instead of doing weights with rests in between you can do supersets back to back so that you are fatiguing your muscles more and it becomes almost like a cardio workout.

Hope this helps!
Great tips Glenda!

I started using my treadmill again this week and I've been doing intervals and I burned a LOT of calories. I took a break from the treadmill yesterday and did some arms, I wanted to work out today but I've felt really sick to my stomach all afternoon and don't think I can do it.