What Is This World Coming To.

LadyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
I don't want so seem anti-police because I am not. I have a background in history so I look at things from a different perspective, that's all. Fortunately I haven't had to call police too many times in my life but you bet your bottom dollar I would in a heartbeat if I needed assistance.
I am not anti police either I have several in my family but it just seems with the new law passed here in the city of Phila that it is just going to be open war on anyone. Kids killin kids, people shooting at police police shooting to kill.

I dont feel safe. I fear for my son who has to grow up still

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy106 View Post
I am sorry you feel this way LadyP. I also feel I was giving my opinion that was backed by my 8 1/2 years in law enforcement. I did not mean to offend and I will no longer comment on this situation.
No by no means should you not feel that way. I honor and respect your feelings and honesty because it forces me to face what I never thought I would see in my generation. Having to be afraid.

I if put in that situation to protect myself and my family would probably do the same. But it bothers me that 51 bullets were shot at 1 man. that is my anger.

51 bullets into one man.

I have not spoken to my cousin who is a cop but he probably feels the same way that you do.

Just to stick my nose in - and being from the UK - its a lot different over here BUT if the US didn't have stupid gun laws that let everyone who had a licence carry one then maybe officers wouldn't be worried for their life whenever they stopped someone for speeding!

Guns are getting more and more common in the UK but no-where near what they are in the US - if guns weren't readily available it might cut down on traggic incidents like this

I want to apologize to everyone if my views and thoughts on this topic have come off as if it were a racial cop shooting. It had nothing to do with race. It had to do with a man being shot excessively something I am become to familiar with hearing on the news on a daily basis.

Last year in the city of Philadelphia there were almost 500 usless killings and acts of violence with very little if no justice. Now a man is dead the day before his wedding. Why.

If this has gone to far I ask the moderators to make the decision and if yes then delete it.

Again I apologize for making anyone feel uncomfortable because that was not my goal.

I wasnt going to respond to this thread b/c I didnt want to sound bias or offend anyone. But I couldnt keep my mouth closed (as usual,lol)

However,with that said, I have read through all the posts and it is interesting reading everyone's take on this situation. Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions, so I appreciate it all. I think when anything is 'closer to home', the views often time comes out stronger and seem more opininated. rant.gif

I agree with the statements about if it was my FI in the line of fire, I would want him to do what was in the best interest of his saftey and his surroundings. Is that a little selfish to somehuh.gif Maybe, but its reality to me. If someone broke into my house in the middle of the night, you better believe, I am going to shoot first and ask questions later. Especially after having someone break into my car in my driveway. I'm not taking any chances.

But Catherine, I do see your point. Living in a major city like Atlanta, we see many unnecessary crimes here pretty much everyday. I could go on and on about some of the unjust things that happen in this city. For instance, last year a 97 year old woman was shot multiple times in her home in the middle of the night right before Thanksgiving, after the police raided the home for a 'drug bust', and then they tried to cover it up. Whether we want to believe it or not, there are some crooked cops out there, and not just the ones you see on tv or in the movies. But I believe its only a small handful of them. I dont think its just police though, kids are killing each other, husbands are killing wives, etc. I agree though, something drastic does need to be done to help prevent useless killings and crimes.

There are things that have happened and are happening in our society that some may view as unjust and others don't. Like I mentioned earlier, when its 'closer to home' or has happened to you, then you will defitenly have a stronger view on things than those who have not even remotely been through or even seen them. What matters is how we handle each situation as individuals.

BTW, I believe it doesnt matter if the cops where black that shot the young man. It is my understanding that racial profiling can happen within the same race. Believe me, it has happened.

Thats my 5 cents :~) Ok, you can ban me now, lol ban.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartyt509 View Post
Just to stick my nose in - and being from the UK - its a lot different over here BUT if the US didn't have stupid gun laws that let everyone who had a licence carry one then maybe officers wouldn't be worried for their life whenever they stopped someone for speeding!

Guns are getting more and more common in the UK but no-where near what they are in the US - if guns weren't readily available it might cut down on traggic incidents like this
It is funny you should mention this. There is one city here in GA that requires the homeowners to have at least one firearm. Of course there are some exemptions (convicted felons, etc) And believe it or not, the crime is actually waaay lower in that city than other parts of GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
It is funny you should mention this. There is one city here in GA that requires the homeowners to have at least one firearm. Of course there are some exemptions (convicted felons, etc) And believe it or not, the crime is actually waaay lower in that city than other parts of GA.
Its mental isn't it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyP View Post
I if put in that situation to protect myself and my family would probably do the same. But it bothers me that 51 bullets were shot at 1 man. that is my anger.
Hi, just wanted to post a few facts that might appease your anger at least on this point. 51 bullets were not shot at 1 man. They were shot at 1 car with 3 men in it.

An autopsy showed Bell was struck four times in the neck and torso. Guzman, 31, was shot 19 times and Benefield, 23, who was in the back seat, was hit three times. Both men were taken to Mary Immaculate Hospital; at the time of admission Guzman was listed in critical condition and Benefield was in stable condition. Guzman and Benefield would ultimately survive the shooting. Benefield was released from the hospital on 5 December 2006, while Guzman was released on 25 January 2007.

The officers in question believed that the men were armed and dangerous as they had just stated after an argument in the strip club that they were going to the car to get a gun. The officers then followed them out of the club and attempted to arrest them after they were in the car.

A decent write up on the event (where the above information comes from) can be found here:
Sean Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As always with wikipedia, take it with a grain of salt, since anyone can edit it.

Racial profiling does at times happen, and I (white) have experienced it personally simply because I had my roommate (black) in the car with me. However I do not feel that it was a factor in this case.