anyone planned or planning an engagement party??

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve_piece View Post
My FMIL threw us an engagement party, and despite the fact that she made it a luau themed-party and we are getting married in Jamaica, it was really nice.

She had people make toasts, since most of her family can't come to the wedding. And we played a game where they blind folded me and had 5 or 6 guys roll up there pants leg and I had to guess which leg was FI's leg. Also did a questions game where she asked me and FI a list of questions ahead of time about our self then at the party we had to answer the question about the other person. I got all the ?s correct about FI, he got 9/10 wrong about me.... hmmmm....go figure.

She also had a photog friend of hers come and take pics which everyone had a good time posing for. She gave out favors, but i can't remember what they were, if it comes to me i'll repost.

I think as long as the food and drinks are good people will have a good time!
I love the blind fold game. I will add that to my game list. I would like to do about 2-3 games. My friend has a polaroid camera and I was thinking to take pics of people when they arrive and have them sign scrapbook next to their pic as a keepsake.
Of group of us got togeher for newlywed game and my FI got a lot og questions wrong. I am so glad it was not for money, we would have lost :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaBride062108 View Post
There are a few books at Barnes and Noble (or any other book seller) called "How Well DO You Know Your Groom/Bride". They are fun little trivia questions that each of you fill out to start discussions. Like "Whose relationship does your bride most admire?" or Has your groom ever had a crush on a teacher?" My mom got those for our stockings at Christmas. That might be a fun thing to do at the party!

We had a really small family party and I gave out my travel brochures to introduce everyone to our destination and gave luggage tags as favors. The brochures were free from the travel agent.
My TA is actually working on geting some brochures, I will make sure to pass out at the party. Where did you get luggage tags from. Oriental Trading has some that are really reasonable, but was hoping to find other choices

I am so glad there are books out here for that! I am going to check it out

thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauraw View Post
For anyone interested, here is the attachment of the little quiz Helen was sweet enough to send me.
Thanks Maura.

And here are the answers to the second half of the quiz:

Germany
Paper
Red
go together like a horse and carriage
Las Vegas
Electrical/appliances
Toad on the road
and we're gonna get married
Silver
Red & green chili peppers
Paris

We just had an engagement party / housewarming party last month. We kept things very simple with food in a few areas and drinks in one central location. Our home is not that big but we had a bigger response than I expected so I had to skip the favors and get creative. My mom is a caterer and I gave her the freedom to make whatever she wanted as long as it did not require sitting down with a fork and knife. Everything was bite sized and easy to eat while mingling and working through the crowd. If people had to sit to eat we couldn't have accomated everyone. Good luck and have a great time.

Another way to put a twist on one of the question games is to buy a whole bunch of those sour gumballs and every time you or the groom gets an answer wrong you have to put another piece in your mouth. Your guests will enjoy watching you make faces with each sour piece!

This isn't really a game, but good if you like sentimental things- get a fish bowl and lots of pennys. Everyone gets a penny and as the fishbowl is passed around everyone makes a wish for you and puts their penny in the bowl. You are suppose to display the bowl somewhere in your home as a reminder of all the well wishes. Works best with a smaller group- 20 people or less b/c otherwise it could take forever. Or if you have a lot of people you could put it on a table somewhere, maybe by the door where people come in, with a note explaining what it is and people could do it on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginialedoux View Post
Question : Is it acceptable to throw your own Engagement party??

My parents are 2 provinces away... I wonder if one of girlfriends or BDW Ottawa brides will throw me one!! lol

I asked myself the same question. After doing a lot of searches, more people are hosting their own. I think it will be great bc you are able to do it your own way.

I am also going to make necklaces with fake diamond (of course) on there for everyone to recieve to wear when the enter. If anyone says the word wedding, it is taken from them by the person that heard it. The person with the mose necklaces at the end of the party gets a gift.

I played this at a baby shower with safety pins, and it was so much fun