Picking a Resort

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniFroh View Post
We have been thinking of contacting a travel agent, too..... I guess I thought it would be best for us to narrow down the search first, then go to the travel agent when we had a better idea of possible places. But the more I look, the more confused I get - so maybe we should just go ahead and make an appointment NOW! I think I will do what others have recommended, tho - write down a short list of 'must-haves' for our meeting with travel agent.

How did any of you decide on adults only resorts or family? I don't have children - some of my friends do - so I am not sure what to do. My first thought is to go to an adults only as I don't really want loads of screaming kids splashing in the pool - but I also don't want to exclude people with children. Thoughts??
We were very confused too. We were going on Debbie's Dominican site daily to read reviews, and each day it was something different for each resort...good and bad. This site helped quite a bit for recommendations on resorts to look at, or stay away from.

As far as family or adult only resorts, I guess it depends on your guests. None of ours have small children, so the decision is easy for us...

I think a travel agent could really help you out with picking a resort to suit your needs. I'm also not sure exactly how it works...I mean, I'm sure they make their money somehow, but with the research that you can do before from everyone on this site, I'm sure you can work together with your travel agent to find the right resort. They're working for you really, so if it's a resort that they don't know much about, I'm sure they'll find out to keep your business......try to find an agent that specializes in weddings...

Exited Ottawa

Do you have a travel agent? Mine is awesome and she specializes in destination weddings. She's been in the travel industry for over 22 years. She fought tooth and nail with me to get the best deal for me and my guests. Let me know if you want her contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat4crim View Post
Exited Ottawa

Do you have a travel agent? Mine is awesome and she specializes in destination weddings. She's been in the travel industry for over 22 years. She fought tooth and nail with me to get the best deal for me and my guests. Let me know if you want her contact info.
Yes, we do have an agent...we actually stumbled upon her at a Bridal show here in Ottawa...she said she specializes in weddings and has been doing it for quite a few years now....
Thanks for the thought though...I may get that info from you if she doesn't work out!!!
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniFroh View Post
One more question: How do the travel agents make their money? I worry that they will direct me to resorts or vendors that they are getting paid to refer to?? I have no idea how that works......

hi Jeni, this question is answered in several threads on the forum, please use the search button.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi excited Ottawa!! I jsut went to St.Laurent and hit the three travel agents there and started asking questions. I have been on this site for a while, and have gotten a ton of info. All three directed me towards the Riu's. Mainly because they are located together and priced slitghtly different so if your guests can choose which one they can afford and you can stay at one and play at them all.

Also one agent phoned whomever and is getting us a quote for jan 2009, even though the other agents said prices won't be out until april or June.

This isn't where I was origanlly looking and got my heart set on a place that none of my guests wil be able to afford. But, really I don't care as long as it is a nice vacation for my guests.

Excited Ottawa,

Congrats on your pending nuptials!

I highly suggest researching resorts on your own because some travel agents will only suggest certain resorts that they get a bigger slice of cake from (i.e. money).

I would start by looking up different resorts in Punta Cana, looking at ones you seem interested in, emailing the wedding coordinators for wedding package info/pricing, etc and going from there. THEN, select a travel agent, once you've narrowed that down.

am an Iberostar bride myself. :)

Punta Cana is gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraece View Post
Hi excited Ottawa!! I jsut went to St.Laurent and hit the three travel agents there and started asking questions. I have been on this site for a while, and have gotten a ton of info. All three directed me towards the Riu's. Mainly because they are located together and priced slitghtly different so if your guests can choose which one they can afford and you can stay at one and play at them all.
Also one agent phoned whomever and is getting us a quote for jan 2009, even though the other agents said prices won't be out until april or June.
This isn't where I was origanlly looking and got my heart set on a place that none of my guests wil be able to afford. But, really I don't care as long as it is a nice vacation for my guests.
Hi Saraece!!

We actually went to St. Laurent too, but the guy we talked to wasn't helpful at all, and didn't really seem to know how to go about starting to plan for all of this! So, we found an agent out of Toronto who is looking into a few resorts for pricing.
As far as the Riu's...if your guests are at different resorts, does it cost money for them to come to the one where the wedding is going to take place? I read somewhere on here that it was $75US to have someone come onto the resort if they're not actually staying there......