Las Caletas Brides ~ Post HERE! (THREAD CLOSED)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazoop View Post
THIS NEWBIE IS NO LONGER UNDECIDED

Hello! First, I'm still overwhelmed by the welcome I got to this forum! So once again, thank you!

Second, I heard back from Kelley at LC!!! My FI loved everything I showed him about the place so thankfully, Jamy, no thumb-breaking necessary! LOL! But I might have gone there if necessary...
Yay! I'm glad you made this decision without having to hurt FI...haha I also flooded my mom with emails & links when we chose LC. She loved it and I hope yours does too. It's totally your choice but it makes it way more fun when mom is into it. I don't think we've had a parent yet that wasn't wowed by the idea of LC, and when they get there they are double wowed!

Let us know if we can help as you put everything together. Even those of us whose weddings are over are way into LC and enjoy helping others plan :o)

My mom loved it (with a few questions/reservations - see below)! And we showed it to my FI's sister and her husband too and they both loved it as well. So now we're getting really excited. I just have to contact the travel agent to figure out hotel stuff for that same week before we put down a deposit and finalize everything else!

My mom thought the pictures looked beautiful and loved the setting but asked me a few legitimate questions that I couldn't answer for her. I tried looking through other posts on this thread but there are so many and it seems that LC is continuing to update the site all the time. So, here goes -

1. THE BOAT RIDE - The concerns are how many people tend to get sea sick on the catamaran ride over? I've read mixed things on this board, with some people saying they partied on the boat and others saying they were sick so it's hard to get a sense of how rough/calm the water is or can be. Is there an alternative to taking the catamaran at least over to the island for people who are really likely to get sick? Like a water taxi that shortens the trip to less than 1 hour?

2. SHOES - The woman in my family are a little obsessed with them...think Carrie on Sex and the City (I am, after all, originally from NYC :-) ! ). My mother took one look at that thatched aisle/dance floor and all she thought about what - What shoes could you/me/your sister/etc. possibly wear? I think I would be fine barefoot (but I do kind of love shoes too!) but I know she would like to see shoes on my feet and she's caved on everything else... (Also, please realize this would in no way be a deal breaker! I'm only half serious about the shoe obsession)

So what have people done about shoes? If I found a pair of low (around 1" inch) squared heels (not pointed) do you think those would work and not poke through?

3. TABLE SET UP - How many tables fit underneath the roof? I think the adults (and by that I mean my parents, my FI's parents, and our older relatives) will prefer to be seated under there because it has a slightly more formal/traditional feel to it. Our friends and cousins, etc. will love sitting on tables out nearer to the beach if necessary. Did anyone else find that the covered seating area felt more formal?

Thank you for all the help! I'm not going to contact the travel agent about booking rooms at Dreams PV!

The boat ride is so different for everyone, as you noticed. We had sick people on the way over, but nobody was sick on the way back. I will say the people who got sick didn't take dramamine for what it's worth. (expect for my MOH who took 3x too much & we think the overdose made her sick..lol) There is a way to get there by a smaller boat but you'd have to ask how it works. Typically I've heard it's only to bring over someone early, or for emergencies. Also from my experience, the smaller the boat the more likely to get sick...but maybe that's just me?

It isn't impossible to wear heels but I wouldn't recommend it. The pathways are stone/uneven in parts, and sand+heels is always tough. If there must be heels/elevation I would say a wedge is better. I don't think any shoes would poke through the mats but I'm thinking it may be akward/uncomfortable to walk on them in heels. The barefoot on the beach thing really adds to the experience imo. One of my BMs always wears 3+inch heels and was worried about it, but she ended up loving being barefoot.

As for the tables, it appears that they have extended the covered area since we were there. I like being under the roof, but I'm sure the beach tables are nice too. The WCs or the more recent brides may be able to let you know about the expanded seating :)

Well I can answer #1 for you.

When I was there we ended up traveling to the furthest boca (a cove where they beach the water taxis) and took the 10 - 15 minute ride to Caletas. The ride was pretty easy and I think it costed $12 for two of us. I could be mistaken on the price but I know it wasn't much.

The ride itself was easy. Open air and being able to see the horizon is what keeps people from getting sea sick. The wedding party that went had arranged a private taxi to Caletas and didn't have to make any stops at the private beaches that most taxis make.

The ride back on the catamaran back to the port wasn't bad. There was plenty of fresh air moving through the cabin. I think that ride was about 30-40 minutes. If anyone is concerned about becoming sick, have them take the non-drowsy dramamine. The seas were not big at all, and I didn't see anyone become ill..

hope this helps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
Ok here comes (maybe) a dumb question-
When confirming your guest count, should I include my photog so she can get a meal? Do we pay the full price for vendors?
I believe that the vendors will automatically get fed - no additional cost to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazoop View Post
My mom loved it (with a few questions/reservations - see below)! And we showed it to my FI's sister and her husband too and they both loved it as well. So now we're getting really excited. I just have to contact the travel agent to figure out hotel stuff for that same week before we put down a deposit and finalize everything else!

My mom thought the pictures looked beautiful and loved the setting but asked me a few legitimate questions that I couldn't answer for her. I tried looking through other posts on this thread but there are so many and it seems that LC is continuing to update the site all the time. So, here goes -

1. THE BOAT RIDE - The concerns are how many people tend to get sea sick on the catamaran ride over? I've read mixed things on this board, with some people saying they partied on the boat and others saying they were sick so it's hard to get a sense of how rough/calm the water is or can be. Is there an alternative to taking the catamaran at least over to the island for people who are really likely to get sick? Like a water taxi that shortens the trip to less than 1 hour?

2. SHOES - The woman in my family are a little obsessed with them...think Carrie on Sex and the City (I am, after all, originally from NYC :-) ! ). My mother took one look at that thatched aisle/dance floor and all she thought about what - What shoes could you/me/your sister/etc. possibly wear? I think I would be fine barefoot (but I do kind of love shoes too!) but I know she would like to see shoes on my feet and she's caved on everything else... (Also, please realize this would in no way be a deal breaker! I'm only half serious about the shoe obsession)

So what have people done about shoes? If I found a pair of low (around 1" inch) squared heels (not pointed) do you think those would work and not poke through?

3. TABLE SET UP - How many tables fit underneath the roof? I think the adults (and by that I mean my parents, my FI's parents, and our older relatives) will prefer to be seated under there because it has a slightly more formal/traditional feel to it. Our friends and cousins, etc. will love sitting on tables out nearer to the beach if necessary. Did anyone else find that the covered seating area felt more formal?

Thank you for all the help! I'm not going to contact the travel agent about booking rooms at Dreams PV!
Congrats on the decision!

1) I think 1 person of my group of 60+ got ill, Paul's mom (oops) but she was fine right afterwards. The boat ride over was a "cocktail party" type of atmosphere from what I could tell. The boat ride back was the after party - some crazy stuff happening!

2) I had heels (1"), and some wedges - I wore neither all night, but put the wedges on later in the evening to walk back to the boat. I am so NOT a show person though.

3) I had a group of about 60 and we all fit under the canopy. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the really quick replies! They actually do help a lot. We anticipate having about 50 guests (but MAX 60) so that's great that they can all fit under the canopy for dinner!). And it sounds like the boat ride might not be such a big deal....the person I'm really, really worried about is my future mother-in-law but I think I'll have her come with us in the morning on the shorter ride. I think she'd enjoy being with the "girls" that day especially since her daughter (my future sister-in-law) and grand-daughter (future neice) are both in the wedding party.

And I like you idea Ann of having 1" heels AND wedges...that way I leave my options open and can kick off my shoes if I want anyway!...I don't plan on spending much on the shoes anyway and am hoping I can find a pair that can be dyed another color later for reuse! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes! 5 weddings in one week! That has to be exhausting!

Well, so that I don't trouble the LC WC's - I'm hoping the LC brides and those who have done site visits to LC can help me out with this question -

Were the stairs an issue for any of your guests or you think the stairs could potentially be an issue for older guests or guests who have some limited mobility issues (I have a guest with a bad knee who walks with a cane - this person goes up and down a single flight of stairs in her home on a daily basis but it's an effort)?

I am starting to wonder if a site visit would really be a necessity for me given the needs of some of our guests. I really love LC because of its remote qualities and terrain but I don't know if it will match the needs of the family members/guests. I will be so disappointed if it's an issue.

Thanks!

We had several older guests (my grandpa, who has had a hip replacement, and can be unsteady at times), as well as my mom - who is waiting for a hip replacement, and Ed's mom - who is waiting for a knee replacement...and everyone was ok. They just took their time getting over to the beach area where the wedding is held - no problems at all! There are railings and places for them to stop and take breaks if need be all along the walkways.

Lindsay

The stairs weren't bad for our older guests. Like mentioned earlier, they just took their time. Also there are a couple calls to get on the boat. This allowed the people who knew they would take more time to go ahead and start walking. Nonetheless, there are stairs and if they know they can't manage it, then there is no way around it.