Basic EDR Symbolic Wedding Ceremony Format

I just received an email from one of the EDR ministers for our symbolic ceremony. For those of you who are just going to go w/ the program they have (or if you want to see if you want to change anything from this program), here's the basic format:

Hello Jennifer:

This is the basic format of the ceremony. The ceremony lasts about 12-15 minutes.

if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Looking forward to your ceremony,

Best regards and blessings,

Alina Monroy

Wedding Minister

MARRIAGE CELEBRATION:

GATHERING WORDS

OPENING PRAYER

REFLECTION ABOUT MARRIAGE AND LOVE

CHARGE TO THE COUPLE

SCRIPTURE OR POEM READING

DECLARATION OF CONSENT

EXCHANGE OF VOWS (STANDARD OR OWN VOWS)

PRESENTATION AND EXCHANGE OF RINGS

FINAL BLESSING OR PRAYER

PRONOUNCEMENT OF HUSBAND AND WIFE - KISS

INTRODUCTION OF COUPLE AS HUSBAND AND WIFE

Here's some more info and info on what the vows are:

Hola Jennifer:

Yes, I will have the honor of conducting your ceremony. There are three moments during which music is played, in all cases the choice of music to be played is yours. The first is to walk down the isle - Processional - (one song for the bridesmaids and one for you), another song to be played during the signing of the wedding certificate and another one when you walk out – Recessional.

The standard vows I use state:

I _________ take you __________ to be my wife/husband, I pledge myself to you, to be your ever faithful wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, in laughter and in tears, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, I give you, and only you, my mind, my body and my heart, I promise to love unconditionally and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.

Or these more modern:

I, __________, take you, ____________, to be my wife/husband, my partner in life and my one true love

I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever

I will trust you and honor you, I will laugh with you and cry with you

I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, the difficult and the easy

Whatever may come, I will always be there

As I give you my hand to hold, I give you my heart to keep.

The choice is yours,

Let me know what you decide,

Best regards and blessings,

Alina

This is what I was given when I requested information about the legal and symbolic ceremonies:

Symbolic with non-denominational minister: READ CAREFULLY. I read this and am so glad I got to it before my Jewish grandparents heard us praising Jesus Christ. Does not sound very non-denominational at all to me. I am totally re-writing mine. Thats my project this weekend actually :)

Symbolic with non-denominational minister:

We are gathered here today, family and friends, in the presence of God and before you as witnesses to unite ______________ and ______________ in Holy Matrimony.

It is indeed a joyous occasion when two souls are united in love; when two hearts experience the same feeling and make their two wills and two persons act as one in the spiritual union that leads to the consummation of the pact we call “marriageâ€.

The two of you, exercising your own free will, have come to me to unite your lives before God and society as your hearts have spontaneously and spiritually been united.

Having heard no objections, this ceremony will begin invoking Godâ€s blessing..

Let us pray. Lord Almighty, bless this marriage and seal the commitment of ___________________ and _________________ with your divine love so they can give themselves to each other and to you Oh Lord. As you in your wisdom have brought this couple together anoint them strength and patience, Oh God, to live together in a way that will be a blessing to them both and bring honor to your Holy name. In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and savior we pray. Amen

_______________ and ___________________, today is a very special day in your lives. In the time that you have been together your love and understanding of each other has grown and matured Now you have decided to live your lives together as husband and wife promising to face the future together accepting whatever may lie ahead.

Love will make the burdens lighter, because you will divide them It will make joy and happiness more intense because you will share them. It will make you stronger so you can reach out and become envolved in life in ways you may not risk alone.

___________ and ______________, your marriage is intended to join you for life in a relationship so intimate and personal that it will change your whole being.

To attain such love, you will need to commit yourselves to each other freely and gladly for the sake of a richer and deeper life together You must also commit yourselves to God and His teachings, let Him always be your guide and helper in everything.

As a matter of fact, the Word of God shares much with us about love and specifically about how we are to love one another, I would like to read a passage from the 13th chapter of 1st Book of Corinthian This chapter is known as “The Love Chapter; and may this be your guide throughout your life together.

“

“Love is patient, love is kind. Love has no envy, it does not boast, love has no pride. Love's ways are ever fair, it takes no thought for itself; it is not quickly made angry, it keeps no record of wrongs. . Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. Love has the power of undergoing all things, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love has no end…â€

The covenant of marriage is one that can be entered into only by persons who are both legally and spiritually free to offer themselves to one another.

Por lo que les pregunto: (El)____________________, vienes por tu propia voluntad y con el deseo conciente de unirte en matrimonio con____________________?

So I ask you: Do you ______________come of your own free will and with a conscious desire to be united in marriage with __________________? I do

Do you ________________come of your own free will and with a conscious desire to be united in marriage with _____________? I do

Do you _____________ and _____________ promise to care for each other in the joys and sorrows of life, come what may and to share the responsibility for growth and enrichment of your life together? We do

Now, as an expression that your hearts are joined together face each other and join hands.

(his) I _________________ take you _____________ to be my lawful wedded wife.. I promise to be faithful, to love and respect you.. In sickness and in health. For richer or for poorer. I give myself only to you. Until death do us part.

(Her) I __________________ take you _________________ to be my lawful wedded husband. To have and to hold. In sickness and in health. For richer or for poor. I give myself only to you. Until death do us part.

What token of love and affection have you to offer each other?

(he). _________________ place the ring on ________________â€s finger and repeat after me.

________________ I give you this ring . As a sign of my love and faithfulness.. With this ring I thee wed.

(Her)_________________ place the ring on ________________â€s finger and repeat after me.

________________. I give you this ring. As a sign of my love and faithfulness.. With this ring I thee wed.

Your lives are now joined in one unbroken circle Wherever you go may you always return to one another May the home that you will have together be full of love, laughter, family and friends. May you two find in each other the love for which all men and women yearn.

Let us take time now to thank God for this time of celebration and joy and ask for His continued blessings in your lives, as you now live together as one.

Dear Lord, we give thanks for the moment that brings ______________ and _______________ together in marriage We ask your blessing upon them to sustain them through the difficult and uncertain times that come to every relatinship. Grant that their wills may be so knit together in your will, and their spirits in your Spirit. That they may grow in love and peace with you and one another all the days of their life. All this we ask in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. Amen.

Because you_______________ and ____________ have exchanged your promise of faithful love, and in our presence you have exchanged symbols, which make your covenant visible, We now recognize before God and the community that you are husband and Wife. Puedes besar a la novia. You may kiss the bride.

Civil:

MEXICAN CIVIL MARRIAGE ADVISES

(TAKEN FROM OCAMPOS LETTER)

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, ACCORDING TO THE LAWS OF THIS COUNTRY WE ARE GATHERED HERE TO JOIN:

_____ :

AND

________

BEING THIS A VERY IMPORTANT ACT, I WOULD ASK EVERYBODY TO REMAIN IN SILCENCE.

AS WITNESSES OF THIS IMPORTANT ACT PRESENT HERE ARE:

________________________________________ _____________________________________

________________________________________ _____________________________________

WHO WILL SIGN THE MARRIAGE DOCUMENT.

A GREAT MEXICAN PHILOSOPHER OF THE NINE CENTURY, MR. MELCHOR OCAMPO WROTE IN THIS LEGENDARY LETTER, THE FOLLOWING WORDS THAT UNTIL TODAY ARE ALWAYS READ IN OUR WEDDING CEREMONIES:

“MARRIAGE†IT SAYS IS THE ONLY LEGAL AND MORAL WAY TO FOUND A FAMILY, TO PRESERVE MANKIND AND TO AVOID IMPERFECTIONS OF THE HUMAN BEING WHO ARE ONLY ABLE TO OBTAIN THE PERFECTION OF THE HUMAN RACE, THROUGH MATRIMONY IN A CONJUGAL DUALITY.

MEN AND WOMEN HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS, BUT IS IMPORTANT TO OBSERVE THEIR RESPECTIVE OBLIGATIONS. BOTH OF YOU SHOULD HAVE RESPECT,FIDELITY,TRUST AND ASSISTANCE TO ONE ANOTHER AND ALSO TENDERNESS AND LOVE, MUCH LOVE. DO NOT FIGHT WITH ONE ANOTHER, USE YOUR HEADS AND YOUR HEARTS TO CORRECT SOMETHING WRONG. BOTH OF YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE GREAT RESPONSABILITY OF BEING PARENTS, BECAUSE YOU WILL PROVIDE YOUR CHILDREN WITH ATTENTION, GOOD EXAMPLE AND EDUCATION, RESPECT, AND LOVE. PROVIDE THEM WITH AN HONEST WAY OF LIVING, SO THEY CAN SEE IN YOU A WORTHLY EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW DURING THE REST OF THEIR LIVESâ€

NOW I ASK YOUR WITNESS: ARE MR.______________________ AND MS.___________________

PERSONS YOU KNOW WELL?, AND ARE THERE ANY OBJECTIONS FOR THEM TO BE JOINED IN LEGAL MARRIAGE?

(EXCHANGE THE RINGS )

IN THE NAME OF THE LAW AND THE SOCIETY AND WITH THE AUTHORITY FROM THE SOLIDARIDAD MUNICIPAL HERE IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN, QUINTNAN ROO MEXICO, I NOW DECLARE YOU HUSBAND AND WIFE.

YOU MAY KISS THE BRIDE.

I HOPE THAT THIS DOCUMENT THAT I WILL GIVE YOU TODAY REAMAIN SEALED FOREVER, AS WELL AS YOUR COMMITMENT TO FIND TOGETHER THE ETERNAL HAPPINESS THAT BY LOVE YOU HAVE RIGHT TO, ALWAYS TOGETHER PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY JOINED.

PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Q. ROO. EL C. OFICIAL 02 DEL REGISTRO CIVIL

C. PROF:LUCIO VARO KANTUN CHI.