What I would and wouldn't do again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkashmira View Post
Great list Jessalyn!

So here's my question to all you brides: DID ANYONE THINK THE CAKE WAS WORTH IT?

I know I didn't and the desserts that came with the buffet were actually more than we even needed. It seems like that is one of those things that keeps popping up in everyone's list of "could have done without!"
I noticed this kept popping up!!! I thought about that too...and that is why I have asked for the dessert to be removed from the buffet and just make the wedding cupcakes our dessert. People may still be full...but some people wil want sweet cake after food even if full (if they are like me!)

I would agree that if dessert is with the buffet and then cake on top...that would be overkill! :)
This is a wonderful thread...I am so glad it was bumped again and sorry i missed it before... :)

ok I know my wedding was a while back but I never responded to this thread.....

What I would do again:

Trash the Dress photos with Manuel Burgoin: Our photos were beautiful, I wish he could have done our wedding photos. We love them, he was a very friendly, relaxed guy who always answered my phone calls. LOL.

Would def. hire him again.

Baja Cantina: Loved the food and the service. We got everything we wanted. The chicken was to die for and the tres leche cake that we got with the meal was great. The ambiance was nice and relaxing for our wedding. Though we did have some people from the beach watch our wedding, they cheered us on.

I would def. eat here again :) and have a party here again :)

cake : Our cake was beautiful and very good. We took a bite of the cake but didnt' finish it due to the fact that our guests ate the cake that Baja Cantina gave us. The cake was great for breakfast the next morning.

Flowers : Our flowers were very pretty and very colorful. We had gerber daisies. I didn't get the right bouquet though but it was still beautiful.

Mariaches(sp?): they were good, but I would put this in the Maybe category. I didn't hear them all that well and guest didn't really pay much attention. They were good though. would I hire them again, maybe not.

ok what I wouldn't do again:

copy my own papers and have someone else do this or do it before we get to mexico..... I forgot to make copies of ceremony script, so I could have my sister and Best Friend read it at the ceremony. So the day of the wedding, I woke up extremely early and ran from one hotel to the other to make copies of the damn paper....mind you everyone else in my group was relaxing by the pool while I was doing this.

I got it done though just before I had my makeup appointment.

Hair and make up from Suzanne Morel studios...... I would put this in the maybe category. The girl that did my hair and makeup was very sweet and did a very good job, I was very happy with the outcome. But I didn't like my hair up all that much, and to this day wish I had it down and curly like I did for the trash the dress photo. This wasn't the girls fault , it was my fault. So ladies I would be very sure of what you want .Oh well. I would def. recommend them.

Tomas Barron: His pictures came out ok, not fabulous but ok. There were some (take that back there were many) that I didn't think should have been taken (everyone in my family thinks this also). They were an ok job. Would I hire him again....don't think so. Very nice man though.

I think that's it....I'll add more later once I think about it some more.

hmm, lets see:

What I would do again:

Get married at dreams - it was absolutely gorgeous there, the people were fantastic, the resort was the perfect size and the gazebo was beautiful

Claudia Rodriguez's studio for pictures - even though the photographer I chose was sick at least claudia had a back up plan and I still got beautiful pictures, would recommend to anyone!

IPOD & docking station - they worked perfectly for our wedding and now we have them to use at home as well.

Video - I had very low expectations of our video because it was included in our package. It came out SOOOO good, I was so incredibly happy with it. If anyone is looking for a videographer in cancun or Riviera Maya, let me know and I'll find his name. He was fantastic!

Destination Wedding - Wouldn't change having a DW for anything, it was the best time of our lives, we had so much fun with our friends and family, I only wish we had all been there longer.

What I wouldn't do again:

OOT bags - As much as people liked them, I don't really think they were necessary and they were a PITA to transport. We had some people that came down just for 3 days, so they didn't even really have a chance to use a lot of the stuff in the bags, etc... I had sent out picture frames to my guests before we left with luggage tags and I think I could have just left it at that.

Cake - wasn't that good, wasn't the one I wanted, and not many people ate it. Our dinner came with dessert and the dessert was better than the cake. Our cake was SUPER ugly, they put these ugly little birds on it, yuck! I really didn't care that much about the cake, so I didn't say anything.

My Hair - I would have had it done up tighter, not so loose. The wind blew this one piece out of place and it was blowing in my face throughout the whole ceremony

My dress - as much as I loved my dress, I could have been just as happy in the first dress I bought that I got a great deal on, and I would have saved myself about $600. I was packing up my first dress today because I sold it and I was so sad looking at it knowing that I didn't wear it because its so pretty. Don't get me wrong I loved my dress, but I could have been just as happy in my first dress.

It's so funny to me now looking back because when Steve & I started planning we said we would just have a simple wedding in Mexico, which as the months went by turned into a more complex wedding, and I (like every other bride) got obsessed with certain things I HAD to have for my wedding, etc... but now looking back I didn't NEED all that stuff, the fans, the parasols, the OOT bags, the starfish, etc... I know everyone wants to have the perfect wedding, but sometimes I think we get so involved in all of the planning that we forget what it's all about.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for bringing up this thread again! For us girls that aren't that far away, it's really helpful!! Come on girls! Let's get your thoughts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly76 View Post

It's so funny to me now looking back because when Steve & I started planning we said we would just have a simple wedding in Mexico, which as the months went by turned into a more complex wedding, and I (like every other bride) got obsessed with certain things I HAD to have for my wedding, etc... but now looking back I didn't NEED all that stuff, the fans, the parasols, the OOT bags, the starfish, etc... I know everyone wants to have the perfect wedding, but sometimes I think we get so involved in all of the planning that we forget what it's all about.

This is what we are trying desperately to avoid! We want to look at this as a long elopement, and if people want to come and share it with us, great! It's hard not to be emotional about it though, even though I was married once before.

OKay my wedding was over 3 months ago but I'll see what i can remember (some parts are a bit of a blur).

What I wouldn't do again:

- Tip my photographer for being so great, UNTIL I received all my photos/products, then tip accordingly.

- stress

I don't know I can't really think of anything else. sorry.

What I would do all over again in a heart beat:

- Go for a hairstyle try out the day before. Thank God I did this or else I would have been in tears the day of because I didn't like what the hairstylist did on the trial and she was pressed for time to do the adjustments I wanted.

- Not go crazy on the cake. My family wasn't really into the cake and everything. I'm glad we didn't spend alot of money on this... I would get the basic option again.

- Use my ipod/laptop and rent the speaker system for the dance/reception. I've NEVER had that much fun at a wedding before. My playlist was awesome and everyone was on the dance floor dancing the night away.

- A TTD sesson. Me and J had so much fun and let loose. I love looking back at our photos, it puts me in a good mood thinking about it. Totally recomend to anyone to do it.

I totally forgot to do this one!! Glad it was bumped!

Would do again:

- DW. It was such a fun wedding and everyone had a blast.

- All-inclusive. We stayed up pretty much every night until at least 1, if not 4 am, drinking and hanging out with friends. If we weren't at an AI, not everyone could have afforded to do that. It was a great equalizer.

- Dress. I f'n loved my dress and it was so worth the major $$$$.

- Shoes. I heart my Christian Leboutains. And I love more that they are RED!

- DJ. Ricardo was great. There were a few minor issues, but he kept everyone dancing!

- Video. Now that we have our final video I'm so glad we did it. The ceremony felt like it was 4 minutes long to us at the time so it was nice to actually see what happened. Also, it's nice to see how happy we both were. I knew I felt happy - but it really showed!

- Photos. We don't have our Juan pics but I loved working with him.

- Guest gifts. From the OOT bags, to the luggage tags, to the flip flops - I'm glad we did it all. Our guests really appreciated it.

- Maye. She is a great WC. She's like having a mom there who is only worried about making the wedding perfect.

- Legal wedding in MX. It was so easy and well worth it. I knew I would feel weird knowing that day wasn't the real legal wedding if we didn't and I'm so glad we did. There wasn't much extra to do at all. Plus, it was fun getting the fingerprint pics!!

Would not do:

- I wish I would have had my BM's spend the night with me or get their hair/makeup done with me. I loved my alone time, but it would have been nice to do that with others.

- I wouldn't have done Dreams spa for nails. Even though it was cheap and they looked fine, I would have done the Suzanne Morel spa deal.

• 1 month later...