So annoyed/pissed

A10CalGal

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I decided to let my recruiter know about how this all went down & how I didn't appreciate not having full disclosure prior to accepting this job offer. She was shocked about the whole thing. She had no idea their pre-screen was this extensive & did not know the whole thing about ongoing random testing. She was appologetic and is now concerned about whether or not I will be happy in this job.

As I was describing all of this to her I found myself getting pretty aggitated mentally by the whole thing. I am just really not happy about going into this whole thing blind, bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa View Post
Well, I decided to let my recruiter know about how this all went down & how I didn't appreciate not having full disclosure prior to accepting this job offer. She was shocked about the whole thing. She had no idea their pre-screen was this extensive & did not know the whole thing about ongoing random testing. She was appologetic and is now concerned about whether or not I will be happy in this job.

As I was describing all of this to her I found myself getting pretty aggitated mentally by the whole thing. I am just really not happy about going into this whole thing blind, bottom line.
Good for you telling your recruiter!

I hope this job turns out to be great for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yari2566 View Post
Good for you telling your recruiter!

I hope this job turns out to be great for you.
Thanks for bringing this back up Yari. I've been burning a hole in my brain thinking this over...this email response I sent to my recruiter sums it up:

Thanks Hillari.

I've been thinking about this alot. I realized after I talked to you today that I hadn't actually verbalized any of that until I talked to you (it took a while to process). I am going to give it some thought over night & call you tomorrow. Overall, I am just fundamentally against the type of policy this company is utilizing. I understand why they do it, I just don't agree with it. I feel torn because this is a great opportunity on paper. I just wish I would have know everything going in. I need to remember that my primary goal with this job hunt is to find the right place for me. I have a sinking feeling that the "right place" does not involve a place that employs policies that conflict with my core beliefs and values.

Anyway, that's where my head is right now. I will continue to torture myself mentally like I do over things like this and I will call you tomorrow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, basically, I don't know if I can work for a place that feels comfortable and justified invading my privacy and my body with no valid justification (in my mind). It's unfortunate that I didn't find this out before accepting a job offer, but it is still relevant information. I have weighed the cost of compromising my values against the benefit of the job & I'm thinking it's just not worth compromising my values. I do not want to work for a company that presumes guilt in their employees without any reasonable suspicion based facts. I have lots of other options...

I've never had a job where they have done drug testing either. Hmm and I'm a lawyer you would think they would test us. But no, they just take our word for it I guess.

That sucks! I personally wouldn't care either way b/c I don't do drugs but I understand what your saying about just having your privacy invaded w/o even knowing that you were going to be subjected to that. You just show up and BAM their plucking your hair and sticking a cup in your face. Not the most comfortable feeling in the world.

smile27.gif

You have to do what's best for you. Either way good luck making your decision.

I'd be annoyed too. I mean, I AM the man for god sakes and we don't have to do any of that testing! Yes - it is possible in theory for someone on meth to be in court prosecuting a person for having meth.

I declined a job at Alaska Airlines once bc they had a "non-smoking" policy (cigs) and did random pee tests for nicotine. I had quit smoking at that point, but was appalled that they would put that condition on employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALA View Post
I'd be annoyed too. I mean, I AM the man for god sakes and we don't have to do any of that testing! Yes - it is possible in theory for someone on meth to be in court prosecuting a person for having meth.

I declined a job at Alaska Airlines once bc they had a "non-smoking" policy (cigs) and did random pee tests for nicotine. I had quit smoking at that point, but was appalled that they would put that condition on employment.
You da man! Hahaha!

And, wow! Nicotine test? F&ck that! What is up with these companies?

Well, as an update, I just got done talking w/my recruiter. I told her it's a no go. She was not surprised & completely supported me. She was really appologetic about the whole thing...she is pissed that the company didn't disclose all the stuff about the full on physical with medical/prescription history as well as the random drug testing. She says she has never worked w/a company that does stuff like that unless you are operating machinery. In fact, her whole office is pissed for me at this point - they all think random testing is a violation as well. So at least I know I'm not being a complete extremist!