El Dorado Royale -- Reservation System Trashed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be View Post
Thanks so much for the Info! I've been keeping an eye on it at Tripadvisor as well. Don't worry - I think the kinks will be worked out by the time you get there.
I read one review that said as long as you were there before 7 for a popular restaurant (can't remember which one) then it wasn't too bad.
I think it will be okay - just like you said - so long as the drinks are flowing!

First bad part of a review with regards to the new system I have seen from any type of reasonable reviewer... :-(

-- We didn't really like the 2 hour wait at D' Italia but it was probably just a fluke.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyV View Post
There are going to be kinks when you go no matter what. I don't mean to be harsh, but chances are something will go wrong. It's up to you how big of a deal it is. Just don't let a 30 minute wait get to you, sit down, enjoy a drink with your family and it won't even matter.
I totally agree. I'm not very highstrung with stuff like this, so I'm not too worried....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyV View Post
Also, people staying in the casitas get A LOT of other benefits too; not just the first dibs on dinner in the old reservation system. IMO, it shouldn't be that way to begin with. Everyone is traveling there and paying lots of money to stay there, there shouldn't be a hierarchy or anything of the sort. Casita ppl still get first call on tours, everyone else has to wait until casita ppl have booked. Yes, you're paying more, but you're paying for the room and the private pools etc. Everyone should be treated with complete and total equality. This reservation system was B.S., count your blessings that your guests won't have to put up with it.
I disagree with you here, on principal. If i booked a casita room on the premise I would get preferred reservations then I don't think it's fair for them to remove it.

That being said, I am hoping it IS better for all fo our guests in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigopens View Post
First bad part of a review with regards to the new system I have seen from any type of reasonable reviewer... :-(

-- We didn't really like the 2 hour wait at D' Italia but it was probably just a fluke.
true - but I don't think that reviewer had any other really bad waits right? they gave them the benefit of the doubt - and also stated that they were there at 7 - the busiest time (when everyone tries to go for dinner)
I think all you need to do is find out the most popular restaurants - like the Italien, and warn your guests that on the nights they go these listed restaurants, they should go earlier (ie 6 or not until later ie 9)
I don't have a problem waiting until 9 to go for dinner when I'm at a resort once in awhile. It's actually quite nice to relax by the pool all afternoon, have a late snack about 430, then go have a nap and get up and get dressed up, have a couple of martini's - and head to dinner.....doesn't that sound fantastic right now? (especially as I sit in my floresent light office that has no window??!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be View Post
true - but I don't think that reviewer had any other really bad waits right? they gave them the benefit of the doubt - and also stated that they were there at 7 - the busiest time (when everyone tries to go for dinner)
I think all you need to do is find out the most popular restaurants - like the Italien, and warn your guests that on the nights they go these listed restaurants, they should go earlier (ie 6 or not until later ie 9)
I don't have a problem waiting until 9 to go for dinner when I'm at a resort once in awhile. It's actually quite nice to relax by the pool all afternoon, have a late snack about 430, then go have a nap and get up and get dressed up, have a couple of martini's - and head to dinner.....doesn't that sound fantastic right now? (especially as I sit in my floresent light office that has no window??!)
I agree with you. We never eat until after 8 anyway. And after a day in the sun, I like to wind down, get cleaned up, have a few drinks, etc...

Was the only really bad review I have seen from a credible poster since they changed to no reservations... And I agree, that was the only night they had problems, at the most poopular restaurant!

OK, I'm ready to be there!

The reviews keep coming in... (More from Trip Advisor)

- We ate at all the restaurants without a problem. D'Italia was our favorite and La Fondue our least. Jo-Jo's is right on the water and is fun for lunch. Try the room service nachos as they are wonderful.

- I was worried about the food at an all inclusive and in the past I have avoided these type of resorts because I did not a warm picked over buffett. But the food at this resort was phenomenal all the restuarants we ate were great.

- In response to people's complaints about having to wait to eat at some of the restaurants - we did not find this to be an issue at all. We didn't want to eat until 9 o'clock-ish, but the restaurants did seem at their busiest around 7. We never had to wait to eat at Cocotal or Fuentes and although we did have a short wait for Kampai, the Italian, La Fondue and JoJo's, the hostess provides you with a pager and when they have a table free they will just beep for you. It was a really effective system - so we just went to get the pager at half 8 , went for a drink at the bar and then by 9 we were sitting at our table. I'm not sure why people find that such an inconvenience. Much better than having to make reservations days in advance.

- None of the resauraunts require reservations now. Which worked great, we never had to wait to be seated. My favorite restaurant was Kampai and I don't usually even like asian food. It was great.

I honestly think this might be a good thing for EDR. During our visit in May we found the reservation system to be quite a hassle and one night they lost our resservation for Kampai (hostess was a nightmare but manager was great).

We ate dinner at about 9 every night and the restaurants were always half empty even though the resort was sold out. So I wouldn't be too concerned about long waits unless you insist on eating at 7, but we're all going to be on vacation!

THis might be good for groups too b/c I heard it was rather hard to get reservations for larger groups (6+). Maybe this will make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaa View Post
Bre, are you concerned with the Hurricane? I have not contacted Valeria yet to see how they go about this. If the hurricane was to damage the resort, so you think it will be repaired by January?

We're getting married in November and I have not a care in the world about it. The weather channel coverage from a resort closer to the center fo the storm said they expect them to be fully repaired and operational by abotu a week from now!!!

Nothing to worry about. Valeria was getting ready for the storm but didn't seem to phased when we talked to her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaa View Post
Bre, are you concerned with the Hurricane? I have not contacted Valeria yet to see how they go about this. If the hurricane was to damage the resort, so you think it will be repaired by January?
I was very worried before but based on what I saw on the news and some research online I think the resort will be fine. I haven't contacted Valeria yet. I thought I would wait a few days. I think we lucked out with this one!

From Valeria:

"Dear Shea,

Thanks for your good wishes!!! Here, everything is ok, luckily for us, hurricane hit down south, 200 miles away from Cancun, to be more precise.

The resort wasn't damaged, it has sand on the floor, and such, and it needs to be cleaned, but nothing more than that!!!

This is the last update, so everything is like nothing happened!

Have a great day, we all thank you for your kind words!

If any doubt arises, please, do not hesitate to contact me, I will be more than happy to assist you."