Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

Hello Ladies, im new here, was looking for info on 'knock off dresses' as I dont want my parents spending that amount on a dress for one day, but I do want my dream dress, My sister got married last year and her dress was a knock of and it was beautiful, there was only one problem she is short and tiny and there was not enough boning in her dress and it kept crumpling at the waist, I have boobs and hips and am worried that the dress from China wont hold up enough,

How were your knock off dresses for boning and stucture?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire22 View Post
Hello Ladies, im new here, was looking for info on 'knock off dresses' as I dont want my parents spending that amount on a dress for one day, but I do want my dream dress, My sister got married last year and her dress was a knock of and it was beautiful, there was only one problem she is short and tiny and there was not enough boning in her dress and it kept crumpling at the waist, I have boobs and hips and am worried that the dress from China wont hold up enough,

How were your knock off dresses for boning and stucture?

Thanks
ooooh that's a good question!! I hadn't even thought of that. I'd def like to hear from other ladies on this, especially if you are a little top heavy like me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita29 View Post
Peterpanpixiedust, this is a little off topic but I see you are from Illinois, me too! I am in love with Sottero & Midgley dresses, this is the one I am currently in love with Sottero and Midgley Wedding Dresses - Style VSM7012 but want to try on other ones, can you tell me what shops you went to to try on Sottero & Midgley dresses?

Oh my gosh, this is so late, but I went to Eva's in Oak Lawn. So sorry, sometimes i just get enough time to check a few threads. And it's hard looking at all these gorgeous dresses when mine is being remade.

AJ, your dress is absolutely gorgeous. Your thin soft satin looks much better than my thin soft satin in picture. which makes me hope that maybe my pic was dull.
Well, I got my new pics. They lowered the neck in the first dress, and I decided it was too low for my little boobs that need a bra. So I had them make the second dress (they offered to remake in a different, less matte fabric) just the way they made the first originally. So I'm going to have two dresses sent and now I'm afraid that the first would have been perfect, but now the neck is too low, and the second looks too shiny (but maybe it's a picture thing, and in real life it's not). I wish they could have had silk charmeuse available. Oh well, they still look very nice and great quality (although I am scared of the pin holes I keep hearing about). I should be getting them any day now. If I like one, I may try selling the other (no sense in two right) for very cheap since they threw the second in for a smaller price.

Click the image to open in full size.

The first two are the new dress (very shiny, and baggy. Hopefully better in person).

The updated first dress are the second pics (neck may be two low for a bra... which I need, I asked them to take my chest into consideration when they lowered it, and they asked for my measurement from neckline to chest.. so we'll see. But they didn't listen to how I wanted a V and not rounded... oh well) The original looked best, but they can't bring it back now that they cut the fabric ( I should have asked them to only pin it first so I could see, but I felt I was getting too picky). The new one looks lobsided and big, but I guess I'll just see when it comes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything will look nice on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpanpixiedust View Post

The first two are the new dress (very shiny, and baggy. Hopefully better in person).
The updated first dress are the second pics (neck may be two low for a bra... which I need, I asked them to take my chest into consideration when they lowered it, and they asked for my measurement from neckline to chest.. so we'll see. But they didn't listen to how I wanted a V and not rounded... oh well) The original looked best, but they can't bring it back now that they cut the fabric ( I should have asked them to only pin it first so I could see, but I felt I was getting too picky). The new one looks lobsided and big, but I guess I'll just see when it comes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything will look nice on!
LOVE the back of this!!! I think it will look great once it's actually on. Overall how do you feel about it?

Alright girls, I finally received pictures. Please let me know what you think. Here is the link to the one I was going off of:

Billie - by Sottero & Midgley

Mine is missing some 'wow' factor. I need to tell them to jazz up the beading on the straps a little bit. Anyone have any ideas? I am not good with this stuff and want to make sure I give them a good idea of what I want. Does the front look a little funny to anyone?

I'm still unsure what I think....

Hi RunningBride!!

The dress looks really similar to the original!! They did a great job! In my opinion, the reason the beading part doesn't "wow" you is because they applied it to the fabric. On the original, it looks as though the beading is directly on the skin (or at least on a very thin piece of fabric). To be 100% honest, I think you can find brighter and shinier appliqués (the beading part) at trim stores, or online. I think it would take someone maybe an hour or two to apply new appliqués if the straps were thinner, or removed altogether.

I'll try and do some searching to see if I can find anything that will work. But the beads they used on the KO are more white and iridescent, whereas the beads on the original are silver and crystal.

The dress also sits up higher on the mannequin compared to the model in the original, so that may be why it looks a little different too!

Really nice job!! I would be very pleased if that were my dress...minor modifications and it will really "WOW" you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBride24 View Post
Alright girls, I finally received pictures. Please let me know what you think. Here is the link to the one I was going off of:

Mine is missing some 'wow' factor. I need to tell them to jazz up the beading on the straps a little bit. Anyone have any ideas? I am not good with this stuff and want to make sure I give them a good idea of what I want. Does the front look a little funny to anyone?

looks beautiful! I think the only difference is the straps are thicker in the knockoff so you see a bit more strap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBride24 View Post

I think it looks pretty close!! I was unsure when I got my pics from them as well, but once it came I LOVED it in person...Mine did have a few flaws when it arrived, but to me it was still a beautiful dress... Mine is currently being bustled but when I get it back I'll take pics of me with it on. I think they did a great job for the price!!