Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

My dress is also taffeta. I think it feels great actually not stiff at all. Im very happy with it I guess mostly because I didn't have high hopes and it came out perfect. You have to remember your paying $150 for a dress that's normally upwards of $1000, no matter what you're getting an awesome deal.

Christina I'm sorry you werent in love with your dress at first. Maybe when you try it again you will like it better. I know when I tried mine on myself it was a total fail trying to put it on myself but once my mom helped me it was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedDeviant View Post
JennandMike: Where were you ordering yours from? And it's a beautiful dress. Having bead work done really isn't that hard of a process it's just very time consuming and tedious. I found a great help guide for putting your own rhinestones on a dress if you need it, it may help you out with the belt if you wanted to add some sparkle to it. How to add little Swarovski crystals to wedding/reception dress or tiara Weddingbee Boards, I ddo think the turquoise would be beautiful and add a nice little "pop" to the dress...I love turquoise though so I'm biased.

roxmysockz: The dress looks great, I didn't even notice the pockets until you mentioned it, I think that's a unique idea. And the middle where the beading is done does look a little taller than in the original but that's personal preference I guess, it's not far off from the original though.

Janine: Well...I don't know really that Tornai dress is very simple, and those roses aren't that hard to make. The Manuel one seems to have more little areas that would call for an attention to detail and Gianinar has been working with similar designs as the Tornai, they may not be as familiar with a unique design like the Manuel one. Either way I love both dresses (I love Tornai's dresses, there's few of them I would personally wear but they're still beautiful), the Manuel one is so unique but still classy which I love. Ultimately it's what your heart says is the perfect one. But I honestly wouldn't see why the price would be off by so much for the two different dresses. It honestly really hard to say, ruching really isn't hard to replicate either, but I do think it also has to do with the dressmaker's experience and personal preferences as to what's easier and harder. KJT, I was trying to figure out how to explain how the Tornai is simpler in some terms and you put it so well. And I'm no dressmaker but I have sewn items myself so it's a little from experience, too. I would honestly say the hardest thing about the Manuel is that it's more time consuming, that may be part of the cost difference. You know how silk feels? Silk satin is silk that's shiny, so it's silk just shiny silk. I was under the impression they couldn't get silk satin for dresses there, I'll send them an email and ask about it then because silk satin is what Tornai uses for all of her dresses...well, most of her dresses...I'm confused by them saying the Manuel would be out of silk satin, it looks to be made out of polyester satin. Polyester satin is what most wedding dresses in stores like David's Bridal are from, it's somewhat shiny (not nearly as silk is...you can go back and look at the pictures of the dress I want, that's what silk satin is like in comparison to polyester satin), it's also heavy, but it also doesn't have the same soft flow of silk satin. Unless they also have their fabrics mixed up, that was what I thought the differences were from talking to different shops to recreate my dress and seamstresses that work with fabrics a lot. But I could also be wrong about that.

christinak: I hope it may just be a first bad impression, they happen at times. And that's the biggest downfall a lot of people ordering from Gianinar are they looking for small details like those that would show to you and possibly other people that it's not an amazing dress? Definately looking forward to pictures of your dress.

KJT: What's taffeta like? I know it's shiny but is it soft or stiff?
Well I remember when I tried the dress on it was very light. Not heavy at all, which is one of the reasons why I loved it. Then I went to the website and checked Jorge Manuel Weddings gianinar is right the dress is made from silk satin. Which would go with this designer he is a Miami native but known for very chic and modern styles and yes expensive as well. I am so on the fence......

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpanpixiedust View Post
my Sottero and Midgley dress is polyester... so I'm assuming it's poly satin underneath the mesh and applique go to this link page 43 and scroll down until you see it. http://bestdestinationwedding.com/fo...1/index43.html
Peterpanpixiedust, this is a little off topic but I see you are from Illinois, me too! I am in love with Sottero & Midgley dresses, this is the one I am currently in love with Sottero and Midgley Wedding Dresses - Style VSM7012 but want to try on other ones, can you tell me what shops you went to to try on Sottero & Midgley dresses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamphilia View Post
i think it looks quite good!! your dress is very similar to one that i am interested in (pockets too!) - so i am glad to see an almost finished product.

this is taffeta, right? this makes me feel much better about mine :)
Yep taffeta! x

I wouldnt recommend poly satin because it feels stiff and is not shiny. I regret that I didnt order tafetta. But I was afraid that it will look cheap. I already thought about writing gianinar and ask if they can make the same dress in taffetta maybe with a discount.

So my mother in law was here yesterday and helped me with the dress. but she didnt really understand how to tie it up, so it even looked worse than when I did it myself. was definitely not worth taking pictures of that. so I will do it later again myself and post pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedDeviant View Post
JennandMike: Where were you ordering yours from? And it's a beautiful dress. Having bead work done really isn't that hard of a process it's just very time consuming and tedious. I found a great help guide for putting your own rhinestones on a dress if you need it, it may help you out with the belt if you wanted to add some sparkle to it. How to add little Swarovski crystals to wedding/reception dress or tiara Weddingbee Boards, I ddo think the turquoise would be beautiful and add a nice little "pop" to the dress...I love turquoise though so I'm biased.

roxmysockz: The dress looks great, I didn't even notice the pockets until you mentioned it, I think that's a unique idea. And the middle where the beading is done does look a little taller than in the original but that's personal preference I guess, it's not far off from the original though.

Janine: Well...I don't know really that Tornai dress is very simple, and those roses aren't that hard to make. The Manuel one seems to have more little areas that would call for an attention to detail and Gianinar has been working with similar designs as the Tornai, they may not be as familiar with a unique design like the Manuel one. Either way I love both dresses (I love Tornai's dresses, there's few of them I would personally wear but they're still beautiful), the Manuel one is so unique but still classy which I love. Ultimately it's what your heart says is the perfect one. But I honestly wouldn't see why the price would be off by so much for the two different dresses. It honestly really hard to say, ruching really isn't hard to replicate either, but I do think it also has to do with the dressmaker's experience and personal preferences as to what's easier and harder. KJT, I was trying to figure out how to explain how the Tornai is simpler in some terms and you put it so well. And I'm no dressmaker but I have sewn items myself so it's a little from experience, too. I would honestly say the hardest thing about the Manuel is that it's more time consuming, that may be part of the cost difference. You know how silk feels? Silk satin is silk that's shiny, so it's silk just shiny silk. I was under the impression they couldn't get silk satin for dresses there, I'll send them an email and ask about it then because silk satin is what Tornai uses for all of her dresses...well, most of her dresses...I'm confused by them saying the Manuel would be out of silk satin, it looks to be made out of polyester satin. Polyester satin is what most wedding dresses in stores like David's Bridal are from, it's somewhat shiny (not nearly as silk is...you can go back and look at the pictures of the dress I want, that's what silk satin is like in comparison to polyester satin), it's also heavy, but it also doesn't have the same soft flow of silk satin. Unless they also have their fabrics mixed up, that was what I thought the differences were from talking to different shops to recreate my dress and seamstresses that work with fabrics a lot. But I could also be wrong about that.

christinak: I hope it may just be a first bad impression, they happen at times. And that's the biggest downfall a lot of people ordering from Gianinar are they looking for small details like those that would show to you and possibly other people that it's not an amazing dress? Definately looking forward to pictures of your dress.

KJT: What's taffeta like? I know it's shiny but is it soft or stiff?

I ordered it from Little Coral. I got good news today though. I asked about their return policy and the lady, Fiona asked what I was unhappy about. When I told her it was the belt she asked for a picture of it and they may be able to replicate it. I sent a very zoomed it picture and she responded today saying that they can do it, with the color, although it won't look 100% like it. She said closer to 80%. I can deal with that. So they will be redoing it at no charge. they were also willing to send me back $30 to purchase my own, but that wouldn't even cover half the cost of the belt. I'll wait to see what they send me! I explained how they would go about doing it, as its actually the beading attached to the colored fabric, and she seems pretty positive they can replicate it. Wish me luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennandMike08 View Post
I ordered it from Little Coral. I got good news today though. I asked about their return policy and the lady, Fiona asked what I was unhappy about. When I told her it was the belt she asked for a picture of it and they may be able to replicate it. I sent a very zoomed it picture and she responded today saying that they can do it, with the color, although it won't look 100% like it. She said closer to 80%. I can deal with that. So they will be redoing it at no charge. they were also willing to send me back $30 to purchase my own, but that wouldn't even cover half the cost of the belt. I'll wait to see what they send me! I explained how they would go about doing it, as its actually the beading attached to the colored fabric, and she seems pretty positive they can replicate it. Wish me luck!!!
that is reassuring! good luck!!