Orbitz & Expedia ~ BEWARE!

TammyWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOESNTHESND View Post
This thread is freaking me out! I have always used Expedia and never had a problem with them. All of my friends use them as well and have never had a problem either. It's good to be aware....

i used to use them also but then had the issue so that made me sour on them..also, if you read on tripadvisors you will see lots of complaints about them...or go to BBB (better business bureau)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkashmira View Post
Jackie are you in RI? I grew up there :)

Also I have to admit that for work I book travel with Expedia and Orbitz constantly. Honestly we have never had a problem with any of our flights or hotels or rental cars and we travel all over the world. One thing that I do think makes a difference however is when you're a frequent traveler you have accounts with all these airlines and hotels, and when you book online they get this information anyway. So the director I work with always get upgraded in the hotels and sometimes on the flights just because she travels with these guys so often.

Anyway, I certianly believe people have had problems I just have had a really good experience over the years using these guys. They've even let me cancel penalty-free non-refundable airline tickets (but I booked them and then cancelled them in about 20 minutes...)

Just a thought...

However what I do often do is look stuff up on Orbitz and then go to the hotelairline directly to see if I can get a better price (sometimes you can and sometimes you can't)
Kashmira - No I'm not from RI. I live on Cape Cod MA now, but grew up in the Milford MA area. I frequently vist Newport though. I love the town wether its for a romantic cliff walk with Ryan or a girls night out on the town.
Jackie

also, i agree with kash...i think it is the best way to go...use expedia/orbitz as a guide for prices, then either go to hotel direct or a TA. We have a better rate that what most hotels release to the public because we contract with them every year that we will sell their product if they can give our clients a lower price. This does not always happen but usually about 80% of the time.

Like one resort in los cabos offers their group rate at $420 per night but we can get it for $320. or another one in cabo san lucas offers $210 per night but our rate is $161.

it is best to shop around to get the lowest price as well.

• 4 weeks later...

this was posted a tripadvisor.com recently. orbitz and expedia bookings get low priority from the resorts and it is not uncommon to get bumped.

==================

Traveler rating:

San Jose Del Cabo: Marquis Los Cabos, Beach Golf, Spa & Casitas Resort: "Cancelled by Marquis"

Oct 25, 2006 Onyxsoleil, Denver, Colorado

We booked our stay for the end of November about 2 months ago. We received a call from Orbitz stating they had changed our reservation and we were being moved to the Westin. This was not acceptable since we were paying $400 per night for Marquis and the Westin was less than $200 per night. If we wanted the Westin, we would have booked the Westin. We have spent approximately 4 hours on the phone with Orbitz trying to figure the mess out. Marquis was not willing to pay the difference for a nicer hotel for bumping us (the only comparable was Palmilla). Finally, Orbitz did not want to lose my husband's business (he books approx. 400 tickets per year with Orbitz) so they are paying the difference for us to stay at Palmilla.

Marquis gladly took our reservation through Orbitz but then when a big party reserved, they had absolutely no problem kicking our reservation out, even though it was booked well over 2 mos ago. We will never give Marquis another chance, we were treated like dirt before we even got a chance to arrive, glad we found out how important their customers are before we arrived.

That is just plain scary. I keep telling my prospective guests that they're getting a great rate through my room block, that it's much safer to book through a TA, but yet, some insist they want to book through Expedia or Orbitz. ARRGGHHHHHH!! I just hope they make it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHARIDER View Post
That is just plain scary. I keep telling my prospective guests that they're getting a great rate through my room block, that it's much safer to book through a TA, but yet, some insist they want to book through Expedia or Orbitz. ARRGGHHHHHH!! I just hope they make it!
lets hope it turns out fine..luckily your weekend isn't super busy...like a long weekend or something

My FI had a bad experience with Orbitz - don't use them! He bought an airline ticket to his sister's wedding in Canada, they charged his card and he found out he didn't have a ticket the day he was supposed to leave and had to pay BIG bucks for a last minute ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMc View Post
My FI had a bad experience with Orbitz - don't use them! He bought an airline ticket to his sister's wedding in Canada, they charged his card and he found out he didn't have a ticket the day he was supposed to leave and had to pay BIG bucks for a last minute ticket.
this actually happens more often than you think. they have really fine print that lets them off the loop if they screw up or the rates change, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHARIDER View Post

I have a feeling that this is going to happen to a lot of brides guests. Hopefully everything turns out ok, but most people do not read reviews like us crazy brides to be. You can try and warn off people as much as you want but if they feel like they are getting this great deal it makes it pretty hard to persuade them otherwise. I would much prefer to get a good deal and actually be able to trust that I am going to get to my destination then get a great deal and end up not getting my flight or have to change hotels. Not such a great deal when that happens.

• 2 years later...