How do you encourage guest to use the same resort?

I have a travel agent, however some guest are uses their own resources to find airfare and accommodations. I am okay and supportive of people finding the best price!

In my invitation I stated:

It's best to make your reservations with our travel agent since it is the only means by which we can coordinate the entire wedding and keep everyone together and informed.

Through word-of-mouth. I told everyone to at least book their rooms with her because she promissed to match or beat any rate.

Well my resort (Occidental-Punta Cana) charges for non-guest. I believe the cost is $100 per person/per day. I can't afford that cost!

Also through word of mouth I stated that their is a cost if they do not stay at the hotel.

I understand some of my guest reasons...which is they don't want to be a bother/inturupt the bride and grooms space. I have said on many occasions that we will be on the other side of the resort. PLUS we are leaving after the wedding to another resort. :-)!

Any advise how to relay this message anymore....or should I just not worry about it at this point other than word of mouth?

I think you should have been very clear about the fee from the start. I would immediately send out a letter explaining that if a guest does not stay at the resort they will have to pay to attend the wedding. If you can't do that then send out an email, or get on the phone or do whatever you must to make sure there are no surprises.

The word of mouth may not reach everyone and as a guest I would be pretty ticked off if I got to the wedding and was asked to pay. Don't wait on this, tell them asap.

If they choose to stay elsewhere that's fine. I actually enjoyed the fact that all guests didn't stay at our resort. It gave us some us time.

I agree that at this point you should definitely send out a letter to all of your guests encouraging them to stay at your resort & to use your TA.

If she is going to match any other prices then that should be a major plus.

You should definitely be up front & let them know what the cost of a day pass is & that they are responsible for the day pass.

Does the day pass limit the guest to a certain amount of hours at the wedding? If so, point that out. If everyone is partying & having a great time, it would be a bummer for someone to have to leave early b/c the day pass only allows them a certain # of hours for that day.

Mainly point out the conveniences of staying together. For instance what about transportation? If your resort is quite a distance from other resorts that they have in mind, are guests going to want to pay for their own transportation back & forth every day?

Are you planning group events for your guests on certain days? If so it seems like a waste of time & money, staying someplace else if they are going to find themselves at your resort for a majority of the time.

If everyone staying at your resort is that important to you then you need to reassure everyone that this is what you & your FI had in mind for your DW...spending your wedding week with family & friends (at the same resort), having a great time.

Definitely send something out. I didn't have to do this since I didn't get married at a resort so I'm not sure what the exact wording should be...something along the lines of "X Resort requires wedding guests who are not staying there to pay a day pass fee of $100. We encourage all of our guests to stay at X Resort so you do not have to pay the day pass fee"

There is a better way to say it...maybe someone else can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC4Rock View Post
Thanks for your advice. I did mention on the website that their is a cost for a day-pass. I will make sure I continue to spread the word.

So are you both also suggesting I send another communication to my entire mailing list about the fee?
Yes, I'd definitely send something out again. Send something to everyone now so that it doesn't become a larger issue later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Definitely send something out. I didn't have to do this since I didn't get married at a resort so I'm not sure what the exact wording should be...something along the lines of "X Resort requires wedding guests who are not staying there to pay a day pass fee of $100. We encourage all of our guests to stay at X Resort so you do not have to pay the day pass fee"

There is a better way to say it...maybe someone else can help.
I also think that the wording above is perfect. In terms of other things to add maybe include that the day pass comes with a time limit of a certain amount of hours if it does. Possibly reiterate the inconveinence of having to travel back & forth between resorts & those costs adding up especially if you have events such as welcome dinners/group tours planned.
You can start out by saying something like "We are sending you this letter b/c some guests have expressed interest in staying at a resort other than XYZ. If possible, we would really like to have everyone together at XYZ resort. The reason's for this are as follows"....and then list your reasons.