Questions for Jamaica RIU Brides

Okay, I have a few questions I was hoping you girls could help me with.

1. Did you book your date online at the RIU site? I'm asking this because my date (8/8/0cool.gif seems to be booked even though there are available times listed on the site. Is there a backup list just in case someone cancels?

2. Is there a deposit/fee associated with reserving your wedding date?

3. My wedding date will be on a Friday. I have heard that there is a beach party on Friday nights. Is anyone considering merging the beach party with their reception? If so, how does this work? (As far as guests not staying at the hotel, food, etc..) Also, how does this work if you are planning on doing some of the traditional reception things (ex: first dance, speeches/toasts, etc.)

4. I'm assuming majority of people will be flying into Montego Bay. Are any of your guests complaining about making a 2 hour drive to Ochos Rios?

5. Is anyone using Air Jamaica vacations for their guests? I used them when we went to a friends' wedding in Montego.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Did you book your date online at the RIU site? I'm asking this because my date (8/8/0cool.gif seems to be booked even though there are available times listed on the site. Is there a backup list just in case someone cancels?

Yes- you MUST book your date online at this site: Wedding Packages by Destination. Honeymoon Holidays. Weddings by Riu You will get a confirmation number that you will use for ALL communications wtih Chandlyn, the wedding coordinator

Nada, zip, zilch. Though there is a cancellation fee if you decide not to go through with the wedding, don't remember what it is right now.

3. My wedding date will be on a Friday. I have heard that there is a beach party on Friday nights. Is anyone considering merging the beach party with their reception? If so, how does this work? (As far as guests not staying at the hotel, food, etc..) Also, how does this work if you are planning on doing some of the traditional reception things (ex: first dance, speeches/toasts, etc.) I am also getting married on a Friday, but we rented the Pacha Disco - I wanted all of those traditional reception things!

4. I'm assuming majority of people will be flying into Montego Bay. Are any of your guests complaining about making a 2 hour drive to Ochos Rios?

YES! But 2 hours really isn't that long!!!

5. Is anyone using Air Jamaica vacations for their guests? I used them when we went to a friends' wedding in Montego.

Yes, we are all flying with Air Jamaica

Yes, I am still looking at other destinations, mainly St.Thomas. However, it seems that Jamaica will be more realistic for my guests as far as prices and activities. I'm also thinking about traveling times. If I do Jamaica, most of my guests can take a direct flight with 2 hours or less.

And besides, Jamaica has many all-inclusive resorts compared to St. Thomas. I struck the Bahamas off my list simply because I've been there more times than I can count and only been to Jamaica twice.

Now all I have to do is convice my FI on choosing Jamaica fencing.gif as I already fryingpan.gif his mind toward St Thomas. LOL

I booked on-line at the Riu Site. You can call and talk to the lady who does the booking for the Riu chain. She is in Mexico. I can't remember her name but I think it is on the website along with her phone number. They are really helpful with questions. Once you get your confirmation number you can email Chandlyn for questions.

The fee for booking is free but if you cancel it is 250 US on your credit card. They take your number when you book.

I am flying out of Canada so I wouldn't be flying with the same airlines as you.

There are a few brides on here that were thinking of doing the reception intertwined with the beach party. Sounds like fun to me. I am not doing the traditional dance and all the other little things you normally do so we are just renting the plantation then going to party at one of the beach bars.

Have you decided on the Riu Ocho Rios then??

Okay, I have a few questions I was hoping you girls could help me with.

1. Did you book your date online at the RIU site? I'm asking this because my date (8/8/0 seems to be booked even though there are available times listed on the site. Is there a backup list just in case someone cancels? I booked my date online. I want to get a later time. The only time that was available when I booked was 12:00, so I emailed the RIU offices and they said if anyone cancels, I can have their later time. Hopefully this happens!

I believe it is a nonrefundable $250 deposit.

3. My wedding date will be on a Friday. I have heard that there is a beach party on Friday nights. Is anyone considering merging the beach party with their reception? If so, how does this work? (As far as guests not staying at the hotel, food, etc..) Also, how does this work if you are planning on doing some of the traditional reception things (ex: first dance, speeches/toasts, etc.) My wedding is on a Friday too. I was just going to do the beach party, but now I have between 60-80 guests coming, so I decided to reserve the disco. My bridesmaids are excited to do some of the traditional stuff, like the speeches/dances/etc, so we're doing it there. I could have done without it all, but since we have the disco, now I'm doing the whole thing.

4. I'm assuming majority of people will be flying into Montego Bay. Are any of your guests complaining about making a 2 hour drive to Ochos Rios? People have sort of moaned about it, but my TA made arrangements for there to be big vans picking everyone up, loaded with beer/water/etc, so at least we can try to make it fun. I'm sure the ride back will be hard though.

5. Is anyone using Air Jamaica vacations for their guests? I used them when we went to a friends' wedding in Montego.Yes, we booked with Air Jamaica. We're flying out of Philly and it was so much cheaper than US Airways.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
Yes, I am still looking at other destinations, mainly St.Thomas. However, it seems that Jamaica will be more realistic for my guests as far as prices and activities. I'm also thinking about traveling times. If I do Jamaica, most of my guests can take a direct flight with 2 hours or less.
I understand that - Belize was my first choice, but Jamaica is so much more affordable & easy to get to for the guests. Reggie & I say we'll go to Belize for our 1 year anniversary! pinkie.gif

Well all of you have answered the questions with the same info I would have. But for the bride that has the noon wedding time. I also had to take the noon slot, but I called mexico, the direct wedding line and they did have a couple that never CONFIRMED there 2:00 time. It was booked by someone but then they never answered the email that CONFIRMs your time. So the women in mexico emailed and put a call out to the bride and said if its not confirmed in 3 days they were going to release there time. Well they didnt comfirm and I was able to get the 2pm time. Better then 12 but not my 1st choice of 4pm. They then sent me a new confirmation #.