how do i start looking for a dress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
Oh yeah...and Jaime. . .remember to march your little self straight to Lulu's when you start looking! I LOVED that store!!
Oh yeah, btw I drove past it finally! Turns out it's right down the street from where I work!!!!!! I always try and tell Martin about it when we drive by but it's usually in a really quick and excited tone, so I'm not sure if he even gets what it is yet LOL

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughie View Post
i'm going shopping w/ momz on thursday and until today, i thought i wanted something plain, no train, light and relatively comfy...now i'm all about the 30 pound alfred angelo's and maggie sottero's.

so how do i narrow it down? do i just walk into one of the 23,908,211,094,372 bridal places in the tri-state area and hope something pops out at me?

i have a list of about 15 places to visit w/ my mom...i can't imagine getting thru 5 w/o getting frustrated.smile41.gif

any advice?
lauren

Alfred Angelo has some great destination light gowns. The one I like was/is 99. at David's Bridal in Philly. So you have to look check out some of the websites and see what you like and dislike. take the pictures with you and they will be able to give yo usomething in that general price range

Kash's list is dead on. The only point I disagree with is bringing someone with you. Now, this totally depends on what kind of person you are but I would have killed someone if they came with me.

I make decisions about clothes easily once I try them on. They either look good or they don't - simple as that. On my first go around to salons I went alone and loved it. I would try on like 12 dresses super fast - it only takes a second to know a dress is a no. I always felt bad for the girls who had 5 people with them because they spent 15 minutes in each dress going through all the good points and bad points - then had to go back and try on the same dresses just to make sure. Ugh!

After I went to all the stores I knew which dress was mine, but I kept a couple options open. My mom flew out for a weekend and I took her to the store so she could see the options even though I knew which I was getting. That allowed her to be a part of the process and kept me from going crazy with the "please try on that dress with the big bow and puffy sleeves" stuff. She agreed with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALA View Post
Kash's list is dead on. The only point I disagree with is bringing someone with you. Now, this totally depends on what kind of person you are but I would have killed someone if they came with me.
I make decisions about clothes easily once I try them on. They either look good or they don't - simple as that. On my first go around to salons I went alone and loved it. I would try on like 12 dresses super fast - it only takes a second to know a dress is a no. I always felt bad for the girls who had 5 people with them because they spent 15 minutes in each dress going through all the good points and bad points - then had to go back and try on the same dresses just to make sure. Ugh!
After I went to all the stores I knew which dress was mine, but I kept a couple options open. My mom flew out for a weekend and I took her to the store so she could see the options even though I knew which I was getting. That allowed her to be a part of the process and kept me from going crazy with the "please try on that dress with the big bow and puffy sleeves" stuff. She agreed with me.
i agree!! i went by myself the first couple times, it worked out very well. i narrowed it down to a couple and then brought a friend. that way i knew i was making my decisions based on what I liked, not someone else! i'm also not a shopper - it's not a social event for me, it's a mission. get in, get out! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
i agree!! i went by myself the first couple times, it worked out very well. i narrowed it down to a couple and then brought a friend. that way i knew i was making my decisions based on what I liked, not someone else! i'm also not a shopper - it's not a social event for me, it's a mission. get in, get out! :)
haha, Martin would love shopping with you! That's his philosophy on shopping in a nutshell!!

Also, I like the idea you and Kate pointed out about knowing you have made a decision based on what YOU like. That was one concern I had about taking my BF with me. She is a clothes designer and can see things really well but she's also a lot pickier than me and our tastes can vary. So that is a good idea to go try on dresses by yourself first to narrow it down.

One salon did suggest not bringing anyone.. I was glad to have my girls there with me. My mom.. I would have killed so it just depends on who you're bringing.. someone with a similar style would be good. (One persons idea of a DREAM dress may not be yours..don't let them live through you.. lol)

Try to bring a camera to take photos. Some places let you, others you can be kinda sneaky if a friend helps you into the dress behind the curtain.. looking at yourself in a photo is better than in a mirror.. I found a dress that was beautiful, but the glass beads were super bright with the flash. I then found other brides wearing that same dress and saw they had the same problem.

I liked the salons that were around for awhile and the person helping me had been in the business forever and really knew her stuff. She got a picture of my wedding and working with my body type, helped find me dresses that might look good on me..

With all that said, I ended up buying a sample on E-bay, but the dress shopping is where it all started!

Great list Kash, one thing I disagree with is getting exactly the right size. It's not as simple as that for some of us.

If you are not a sample size and you end up liking and having to order a gown then the chances are pretty good it will need to be altered, wedding dress sizing (J Crew excluded) is not regular clothes sizing. If you are in between sizes (my issue) then err on the side of caution and order the larger size. It's much better to make it smaller than bigger, and DO take the alteration cost into consideration.

Also, go to at least one full-service bridal salon, make an appointment, give them your budget and then let them pick some stuff for you and try it on even if you think you'll hate it. You might be surprised. Most of all you should enjoy the process as much as possible so even if you end up getting something unconventional you at least experienced the whole deal.

hug2.gifthanks for all of the advice everyone...i'm actually going right now (yes, i did get dressed today) to check out 2 neighborhood places by myself...not planning to try anything on, but just look and get ideas today...i have 5 appts . tomorrow w/ my mom, and i'm not buying anything till i'm sure...i know what i'm looking for tho....here's my new fave: MaggieSottero.com - Dress Detail

i can't resize to post the pic in here, sorry...

i'll let you know how it goes!