I completely agree that $66 per person is a joke compared to prices here in NJ/NY area. If we were to have our dream wedding here, we'd be looking at close to $200 per person and there would be so many other costs (flowers, band, limos, etc)...which are considerably higher than Mexico! Just an example cost for a DJ here in NJ is upwards of $1,500, where in Mexico it's $600. We're still managing to keep our wedding under $10k (not including our photographer however)...and that would be easily quadrupled here. I know there are beautiful locations to have a wedding in the Tri-State area, but there isn't a beautiful blue water beach and all inclusive resort, especially in January :) We wouldn't change our minds in a heartbeat. It'll be a magical experience!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondpooch View Post
Ladies, I understand everyone's frustration with the pricing. I am quite frustrated myself. But, we can't compare our upcharges for food, etc to other resorts upcharges for food because maybe their food isn't as good! Maybe the upcharge per guest doesn't include three hours open bar, etc. I try and make sure I'm comparing apples to apples before I get frustrated. From what I've heard, Barcelo food is amazing and surpasses expectations. $66 a person for dinner and a three hour open bar and cake, etc is much cheaper than it would have been in the states. I hope it's all worth it!
I know for a fact that at the Grand Palladium, if your group is over 40 you have no choice but to do a 'gala' menu. Pricing is similar, but you have to pay the $60-70 USD extra per person, over and above the $25 per person extra that they charge for all those people not included in the package which is only 8 people... Their reception time is also only 1.5 hrs... So when you do your comparing around, on one hand the Barcelo is expensive but on the other you do seem to get a lot for your money. I ended up chosing the Barcelo over the Palladium due to kind of reception they could offer me and for the price. While it's not ideal to have your reception in a banquet room, at least I have that option (other than being forced to spend $75-$100 a person for a private recption that only lasts 1.5 hrs...)
All that being said... you can get married in Mexico for cheap, or you can pay these extras and have the wedding of your dreams that would cost thousands more in the US or Canada. My wedding will be somewhere in the middle. :)

First I was thinking abot getting married in Dominican Republic and I asked a lot of information at a lot of resort and the average price for additionnal person was 45$ and not including the open bar that was around 18$. So you are close to your 66$.

And ladies don't worry about the food at the Barcelo. I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial 2 years ago and the food was amazing.

This is pretty much why we decided on the Barcelo Palace for our wedding.

We traveled a lot around the world and we did all the islands in the carribeen and this resort had the bast food. popcorn.gif

All of you ladies are making very valid points!!! Can you email my FI with all this information...LOL! He seems to get frustrated with everything I add to the list...saying thats not included, you better ask about this or that?? You know I was frustrated about all the extra costs too, but then I started to compare to the budget we had put together here at home. I mean we are paying $66 per person for 50-60 people not 225 like it was at home. Yes there are additional costs, like cocktail, etc. but there are ways to work it in without alot of cost. Also these people are going to be celebrating your love for one another for MANY days...not just 5 hours like it would have been at home. We never thought we would have had as many guests, but we are so blessed we are and we are going to have to dig in those pockets for it...but to me worth each pennie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudou33 View Post
First I was thinking abot getting married in Dominican Republic and I asked a lot of information at a lot of resort and the average price for additionnal person was 45$ and not including the open bar that was around 18$. So you are close to your 66$.

And ladies don't worry about the food at the Barcelo. I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial 2 years ago and the food was amazing.
This is pretty much why we decided on the Barcelo Palace for our wedding.
We traveled a lot around the world and we did all the islands in the carribeen and this resort had the bast food. popcorn.gif
So great to hear the food is so great!!

yes I think at the end it will all be worth it. And there's always ways to cut corners but I think it's best to rememeber how much all that costs here (ie a hotel Saturday night minimum starting at 20k just for the food/location, then add dress, flowers, photography, etc) and that it is still reasonable for such an event.

I'm also excited that the food is good!! :)

Yes I'm telling you, don't worry about the food....this resort is the best I've been for the food.

I was just wondering about the photographer; Are you hiring an outside photographer? If so, which one?

I was thinking about getting a photographer who lives at the Riviera Maya, so don't have to pay the flight. But it's adding on the overall cost. I want a videographer as well...

What is your opinion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudou33 View Post
Yes I'm telling you, don't worry about the food....this resort is the best I've been for the food.

I was just wondering about the photographer; Are you hiring an outside photographer? If so, which one?
I was thinking about getting a photographer who lives at the Riviera Maya, so don't have to pay the flight. But it's adding on the overall cost. I want a videographer as well...
What is your opinion??
Hi, we are using moments that matter Moments That Matter Photography and imho they are quite reasonable . Besides the gorgeous photos, I picked them because they provide you with the high-res images.. so I can make my own album/book/prints however I like.. also they are 2 people so you get each shot from 2 perspectives...

--
I do have to book them a room at the barcelo for the wedding night to get around the 'no outside vendor' policy, however I would've had to do that anyway as we are having the TTD shoot the next day.
I did confirm with my WC (Claudia) that they can still attend the wedding at the Palace even if they are booked into the Beach, Colonial, or Tropical (so it saves a few $$)

I def. think it's worth it to hire a good photographer -- what better way to remember one of the most important days of your life....
For me, I'm not having a videographer -- I doubt I will re watch the wedding day and I don't think my friends/family will want to sit through a DVD wink.gif Pictures are good enough -- imho even better :)