Any other Riu brides out there?

I FINALLY HAVE MY DATE CONFIRMED!!! smile159.gif It was actually pretty stressful trying to find a half decent time due to the fact that we had to be in Mexico 3 full days. Me and my fiance decided to leave a week earlier and have our own little vacation before all our guests arrive in Cabo.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting married in May, 2007 at RIU Palace Las Americas. I am so excited (and new to the board). I am looking forward to meeting new friends and exchanging experiences/ideas.

Question/Survey:

Are you holding a coctail hour before the reception? I get the feeling the "reception" is a seculded area of one of the specialty restaurants...Is that what you think too? I would like to have a little more fun before the sit down dinner...any thoughts?

Jennifer

Hello all!

I'm a new member here at bestdestinationwedding because of mexicobride's forum.

I got engaged in June 2006 and we've booked our wedding date November 22, 2007 at the RIU Palace Maya Riviera in Playa Del Carmen.

I booked directly with the resort through their online website because I heard it's less expensive this way and I've found that communication is pretty OK with the sales coordinator there. We've called and emailed many times and she has always been able to get back to us by phone/email within a couple of days.

Initially, I was indecisive between RIU Palace Mexico and Riviera Maya. Because of the rave reviews from Tripadvisor plus the fact that RPRM is pretty new (just opened last February), we ended up going with RPRM.

We got the 4:00pm slot (we originally wanted 5:00pm slot as optioned on the website but realistically, we've been told the judge do not do ceremonies later than 4:00pm slot). In hindsight, this is probably better--I've heard the judges can be late sometimes and if they are, the ceremony will be pushed into the sunset, which is fine with me.

LOL, like Sparklz224, my fiance and I are also long-distance couple, him an American from Chicago; me a Canadian from Vancouver. So the planning is a little more complex since we have two different gateways the guests are coming from.

So far, I've booked my photographer and videographer. Note that RIU does not allow outside vendors so if you want to bring them in, you'll have to make them 'paying guests'. I'm booking one night's stay for the videographer, photograher and her assistant. :-(

Oh well, cheaper than flying a Vancouver photographer in.

How far along is everyone's planning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicobride View Post
I went to the Mexican consulate today to get our birth certificates translated. After waiting for over an hour, they told me they don't do translating there and to go to a private notary. I'm not sure that this will be ok. I emailed the Riu today to find out what documents we need. They are now telling me we don't need our birth certificates at all and that we just need our passports, tourist cards and witnesses. They also said they will be sending some documents about a month in advance that we will need to fill out. So now I'm completely confused. I sent an email to the US consulate in Mexico today to find out their version of what we need (since everyone seems to have a different answer.) Still waiting to hear back from them.
The good news is that the Riu answered my email promptly. The bad is that they keep saying it's too soon to be discussing the wedding and that we will be hearing from them a month before. Plus, I still don't know what we need to make the marriage legal. Anyone else having these difficulties?
That's pretty much the message I got from RIU too re: marriage documentations and that it's too soon to discuss the wedding. I decided not to worry until then and focus on my BMs dresses etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bmrsbyers View Post
We are having our wedding at palace las americas, and the lady who I booked and confirmed with said that 80% of the guest must be staying at the RIU... Do you know if that means that it can be at any of the riu resorts and still count as the 80%? I have not gotten assigned a WC yet... Its only been 3 days, but of course still makes me nervous... How long after you confirmed did you get to talk to your WC?

It means that 80% of your guests must be booked at Palace Las Americas and 20% can be from other hotels, including other RIU hotels. That's my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweinbe View Post
I'm getting married in May, 2007 at RIU Palace Las Americas. I am so excited (and new to the board). I am looking forward to meeting new friends and exchanging experiences/ideas.

Question/Survey:
Are you holding a coctail hour before the reception? I get the feeling the "reception" is a seculded area of one of the specialty restaurants...Is that what you think too? I would like to have a little more fun before the sit down dinner...any thoughts?

Jennifer
Hmmm...I didn't plan on it since the guests can do what ever they want until the reception (which is a "secluded area of one of the specialty restaurants".) This might be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonut View Post
I booked directly with the resort through their online website because I heard it's less expensive this way and I've found that communication is pretty OK with the sales coordinator there. We've called and emailed many times and she has always been able to get back to us by phone/email within a couple of days.
95% of the time it is more expensive to book through the resort than through a TA.

ex.
  • dreams cabo was offering a bride $400 per night, the rate i got was $349 per night
  • el dorado was offering $420 to the bride direct but we negotiated it down to $334 per night
  • Moon Palace cheaper rate AND we negotiated all of private events at no charge to the guests who booked through the room block negotiated by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by host View Post
95% of the time it is more expensive to book through the resort than through a TA.

ex.
  • dreams cabo was offering a bride $400 per night, the rate i got was $349 per night
  • el dorado was offering $420 to the bride direct but we negotiated it down to $334 per night
  • Moon Palace cheaper rate AND we negotiated all of private events at no charge to the guests who booked through the room block negotiated by me

Thanks, I agree. When I said it was less expensive to book through the resort, I meant the wedding package, not the room rates.

Hi

We almost have the same wedding date! I am getting married at riu palace los cabos. My fiancee and I were just talking about a cocktail and appetizer hour. We are going to do it right after the ceremony while we are getting our pictures done. We are going to play mexican music and hopefully the guest will mingle before the reception!

Sarah

Hey Fellow RIU Brides!

I'm getting married at the RIU Cabo in June 2007, and yes the communication is slow, but it does happen. Just keep emailing and finally I made a phone call and since then have had pretty good communication. I have heard the same as everybody else, pretty much everything happens once you are there.

As for the beach location in Cabo - I have seen photo's of the setup in different places in front of the resort - my favorite being in front of the palm tree area so that you are pretty much straight across from the arch. Since we are having the beach reception, I'm hoping to get this location for the setup. Also, my time is at 6 or 6:30 can't remember, anyway since the pool closes at 7, I'm hoping that people will start to be leaving the pool. I really think (hope) that it'll be far enough away that it won't matter. :-)

I know I haven't been here much, but if any of you need any help you can PM me and I'll respond pretty quickly.

For the Cabo girls - I have a bunch of info from the WC, I can get it to you if you want it - it's the menu, extras pricing, etc.