HELP! How do I make my marriage legal?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 JENGONDA9

JENGONDA9
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

hi there-
    we just returned from having a civil ceremony and it really wasn't that difficult. i know your coordinator is slow to respond but just ask her for the application form or else i can give you the form i was asked to fill out. you do not need an apostille or translated birth certificate in cabo, but you should get that in writing from your coordinator before you go.

once you get there, you will need the passports of your 4 witnesses for your coordinator to xerox. the rest will be transferred from your app to the certificate. your coordinator should actually fill our your app for you from the info you give her. the blood tests are a snap and they will be done right in your hotel.

dont worry too much because most coordinators at the hotels dont start workign on your details until the month before
    Jen & Aaron
    January 13, 2007

#12 cariandnick

cariandnick
    • 60 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

ohhh i like that idea of doing it right after we get back! that's good - relaxed! We are also going to do it in the states and were planning on doing it in the courthouse here the week before we left then just have a "vow renewal" when we're down in mexico. you dont have to tell your guests and theyll never know the difference. but i wonder what you do about the wedding ceremony (in the vow renewal packages) if you dont actually have a wedding certificate to show them when you get down there if you wait to do your legal wedding when you get back to the US instead of before?

#13 Vee

Vee
      • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

I am having the same worries too! As far as I can tell you only need to get your birth certificate legalised at your legalisation office before you go, the rest they will do out there for you.

Is this correct??!

#14 dallas_texas09

dallas_texas09
        • 113 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

MEXICOBRIDE: Are you planning on having just a civil ceremony or a religious ceremony?

A civil ceremony (conducted by the Justice of the Peace) is the ONLY kind the Mexican government recognizes as legal. This is also recognized world-wide...meaning your marriage is seen as legal anywhere you go...be it Mexico, US, or Europe!

#15 mexicobride

mexicobride
          • 88 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:28 AM

I am having a civil wedding. I have been assured twice by the WC that all we need for PDC is birth cert (non-translated, non-apostilled) and passports. The rest all gets taken care of once we get down there (blood test, etc.) She told me the rules differ depending on what part of Mex you get married in and that the rules in Cancun are different - there you need apostille on b.c.

So I guess we'll be legally married in Mex, which will be recognized in US. But I still don't know what happens after that. It sounds like we'll get a copy of the marriage cert, then get the official one in 4-5 mos. Then what? Do I have to take that to an office somewhere here in US? Or is that it? Anyone know?

#16 TammyB

TammyB
            • 10,630 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

I was told since the paperwork from Mexico will all be done in Spanish that it needs to be translated into english before they will reconize it. I would suggest you call your local Secertary of State for your states requirements.

#17 *JillD*

*JillD*
              • 5,112 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

I was told it had to be translated as well. I was also told that the birth certificates had to be translated to spanish too. It just seems so complicated

#18 TammyB

TammyB
                • 10,630 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Yes the BC's has to be translated, however if you hire a WC, that's usually part of their fee for a legal wedding.

#19 mexicobride

mexicobride
                  • 88 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by TAMMYM
                    I was told since the paperwork from Mexico will all be done in Spanish that it needs to be translated into english before they will reconize it. I would suggest you call your local Secertary of State for your states requirements.
                    It is my inderstanding that the resort translates the marriage cert for you.

Good advice - I will try to contact SoS.

#20 gerns

gerns
                    • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

My daughter is getting "'married"--a spiritual ceremony in Playa del Carmen. After looking at all the requirements and restrictions, we all decided that it would be better if she got married in a civil ceremony in the States. Then you know that you are realloy married! I recommend you do the same (and it's a lot cheaper).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter