Photo

Garment Bag for Wedding Dress???

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 bre

bre
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

You may be able to buy a thicker one at David's Bridal. A friend of mine did this. The bag that my boutique gave me is pretty thin. Now hearing that someone's dress ripped on the plane, I'm starting to freak out a little...
    Bre & Pete
    January 19, 2008
    El Dorado Royale

#22 chicago88

chicago88
    • 699 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, the one that David's gave me is pretty thin and it also has a cardboard type torso/boob thing inside the dress to keep it's form. It just feels real flimsy when I carry it.

Therese & Jay
      Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
      http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

#23 MissyR

MissyR
      • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

You can also try stores that sell robes etc. for other occasions - When I bought my legal robes they had really good quality garmet bags for these things, priests robes, choir gowns etc. - things that are generally longer and heavier!

#24 -Kate-

-Kate-
        • VIP Member
        • 7,676 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

I used the thin one from the bridal store and it was fine. I did buy a new white flat sheet and wrapped it around the entire dress to protect it (Natasha tip). I also carried FI's suit in the bag too. I actually poked a hole in the bottom of the bag so I could loop the hanger hook through it and carry it folded in half.

Seriously, after we checked our other bags I just carried the whole thing rolled up anyway.

#25 Karen

Karen
          • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

I used the one I got from the bridal shop. It did the trick but my dress was really wrinkled. I was glad the resort had a steam and press service.

Call your airline to see what kind of arrangements can be made to store your dress on the plane. We were able to put our wedding attire in coat check on the plane to and from.
            <center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#26 bride08

bride08
            • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

I bought my dress online and it didn't come with a garment bag. I bought one from a local bridal store for $10 it's clear but it's decent. I don't like the fact that its see thru, so I will have to buy another one that's doesn't show.

#27 TammyB

TammyB
              • 10,630 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Galit
                When I was shopping around for a dress, places like Kleinfelds and Pricilla of Boston told me they would "package" my dress for the plane ride in some special way. Why not call them and see what they have to offer? They could be completely full of crap, but it doesnt hurt to call :)
                That's exactly what I did, I told the salon that I was having a DW, and they said they would pack it up for me so that it transports well. I took it out of the bag the day before our wedding (which was 3 days after we arrived in Cabo) and the dress was fine, didn't need any touchup's..

#28 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

I used a Macy's garment bag under the white plastic one I got from the bridal shop.

We hung it in the first class closet on the plane. You can call ahead and ask the airline but chances are it doesn't matter - the person you speak with is probably in a call center far from the airport you'll be flying out of.

They'll tell you closet storage is on a space available basis. There is also a captain's closet you should be able to use. If all else fails you can lay it flat across the luggage in the overhead bin. The humidity the day of my wedding took care of the minor wrinkles in the dress :o)

#29 BrideToBeJolie

BrideToBeJolie
                  • 155 posts
                  • Wedding Date:February 7, 2015
                  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Cancun

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Great post. Thanks!

#30 LauraM

LauraM
                  • 171 posts
                  • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
                  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace, Cancun Mexico

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

My garment bag is so thin.. I heard there's special bags you can buy on ebay for traveling on a plane that run about $50... but like someone said.. better than a ripped gown!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter