DIY Veil - **No Crafting Experience Necessary!!** Less than $20 materials! ~ PICS HEAVY

HI BDW Brides!

I did a lot of research after I tried on my veil at a boutique in Boston – it was $348! I could not justify spending that much on something I was just planning on wearing for the ceremony – so I did my homework (lots of it!) and found a few tutorials that I thought I would try. After reading them all, I figured I would share my knowledge with all of you and how I created my own veil for less than $20!!!!!!

First and foremost! You do NOT need to be crafty to make a veil! It was so easy and took me about an hour. And the best part – you donâ€t need a sewing machine (but could if you wanted, I did not!)

Lengths of Veils by Style:

*Blusher (to the shoulders): 18 inches to 24 inches
*Waist: 30 inches
Fingertip: 40 inches
*Chapel (dusting the floor): 60 inches to 72 inches
*Cathedral: 108 inches or longer

***If you want a fuller veil – I would recommend using 108†wide tulle for fingertip or longer length veils. 72†works really well for shoulder length styles, I actually used 54†wide and it is very narrow and light weight, but it works for the style I was going for.

What youâ€ll need:

• Tulle (x 2 if you want two layers) – I purchased one yard. There are two ways you can use your tulle:
    • Purchase a pre-embroidered tulle. I found this gorgeous ivory tulle embroidered with crystal beaded floral accents, it was $25/ yard. I used a 50% coupon which brought it down to $12.50 and the sales associate who was really helpful to me gave me an additional 20% off my purchase bringing it down to $10!
    • Or you can purchase plain tulle in ivory or white, itâ€s very inexpensive – maybe $2/yard and then choose your accents, beads etc…to hand sew onto the tulle. I originally was going to go this route until I saw the pre-embroidered tulle – which Iâ€m pretty sure was almost the same pattern as the original veil I tried on when I purchased my dress and was $348!
    • I will be creating both veils to see which one I like best – Stay Tuned for part two!
  • A comb
  • Sewing Needle
  • White/clear/ivory all-purpose sewing thread (I attempted to use clear and could NOT even see it being threaded so I opted for the ivory instead!)
  • Silk flowers,  trims, embellishments (optional)
  • Rotary Cutter/Mat (Can use scissors but I find rotary cutter to make it a much cleaner edge!)

I purchased two combs, because I was really unsure what type I would prefer.

I purchased this one at AC Moore, its 3†wide metal comb with pearl and rhinestone accents. It was $9.99 and I used a 50% off coupon, with tax it came to $5.34. (This is the one I ended up using in this tutorial because it was easy to wrap the thread around).

I also purchased this comb on eBay, this one is also 3†wide metal comb, with just two rows of rhinestone. This was $7.50 + $1.69 for shipping, my total was $9.19 for this comb. Shipping was very quick, I received the comb within a few days. I did notâ€t choose to use this one because when I have to attach the tulle to the comb it covered up the rhinestones.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.0.1.M2b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridal-Wedding-Crystal-Hair-Accessory-2-Row-Small-Comb-/110731607475?pt=US_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19c81e3db3

Using the lengths I mentioned above, choose the one that is right for your veil and cut the tulle to your desired length. If you want to create a two –layered veil, you will want to double the length. Fold your tulle in half and lay out on your rotary mat and carefully round off the bottom corners. **Helpful hint** I used a bowl to easily round of the corners and it also helped to make both edges the same roundness. Just flip the bowl upside down and trace around it or cut directly around it – which is what I did.

I chose not to finish my edges because I am not handy with sewing machines – but you could definitely hem the edges if youâ€re familiar. I donâ€t think anyone will notice either way! (I did end up rounding the top corners using the bowl technique once the tulle was attached to the comb – it made it look neater).

Then you will want to gather the top of the veil (the part that will be attached to the comb). I measured 6†on both sides of the top and then sewed the middle 24†You can use any measurements you want, mine was for a relatively simple, light weight veil.

Use a basic wide stitch with a knot on the end – (up and through, down and through) for 24†(or however much space you want bunches in the middle). Once you have reached the end of your measured amount you want bunched, pull the thread tightly so that your tulle will gather. Voila! You have a veil! Make sure you knot off the end of your thread so it does not slide back through! Make sure you gather the tulleâ€s edge so that it is equal to the width of the comb you chose.

This is what it should look like before you pull the thread tight to gather:

Before I attached the tulle to the comb – I decided to snip above the stitch I made because there was too much over hang and it was hiding the pearls and rhinestones – this is totally up to you, it made mine look much better.

This is what it should look like before you attach it to the comb:

Now you are ready to attach the tulle to the comb. Be sure to hold the comb up so you can see the underside. Now you want to sew up and between each tooth of the comb. After you come to the end of the comb, you want to knot the end and cut the extra thread. If needed, you can use scissors to trim away tulle that hangs over the top of the comb.  **Make sure you attach the comb correctly!! I had to put the comb in my hair and visualize how the veil was going to hang to make sure I sewed it the proper way.***

If you chose a plain comb, now you can use glue to add embellishments such as rhinestones, pearls or silk flowers to add a little PIZZAZ to your new piece!

And voila!!! You have your own custom veil for less than $20! I had most of the materials (scissors, mat, rotary etc..) so I only had to purchase the tulle and comb. Make sure to bring your coupons! AC Moore, Michael's and JoAnn ALL except competitors coupons too, so do your homework before you shop!

Please excuse my sweats and thermal - haha.

Please let me know if you have any questions! This was such a fun project and would be happy to help if anyone has any questions!! Xoxo Happy Planning!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...