we originally booked our wedding at Shangri-La Caribe for Jan 09. Then our TA sent me a strongly worded note dissuading us from having wedding their considering they are closing in April 09. Her major concern was that since they are tearing down the property, its unlikely that they'll keep everything up and if, for example, there is damage to something, they won't spend the money to repair it since its just going to be demolished anyway. She also mentioned that most of their best staff will likely have moved onto long-term employment by then so service could be a problem.

I was really annoyed at first that she rained on my parade because the Shangri-La Caribe was EXACTLY what we wanted. I was fuming and vented to FI and he was actually totally on her side...and eventually I came around as well. I just couldn't risk inviting 100 people to this property for our wedding and not have any garuantees that it would be in great condition.

All this said, Christine assured us that the staff was committed to keeping the Shangri-La in great working order and throw a wonderful wedding and I was inclined to believe her. And the reviews on Tripadvisor are outstanding! So, if you are going to get married there before they close, I wish you lots of luck and a dream wedding! Just felt like I had to share this info/POV...

Best of luck!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely - thanks so much for sharing what you've heard. That's the point of these forums, right? :)

FI was worried about the service as well, but we hadn't thought about the state of the buildings... Another sad thing is that we'd never be able to revisit the place for an anniversary in future. sad.gif

That all said, all the reviews have been outstanding and Christine has been really great too over email... plus, we have a very small wedding of very low-key people, so I'm not overly concerned...

Ack! I'm definitely concerned, but I think my love of the place is overriding it!!!

We just discussed the room reservations and then went to see how much flights would be and were told $1,000 each! :o I checked online and came up with flights for $750 all taxes included each, so I think we can do it...

Ah, what we do when we have a favorite place, right? blush2.gif

Whew! I'm glad you're not upset about my post. Honestly, I LOVE the property and Christine was super when I was communicating with her so in the end I'm sure the Shangri-La is going to be perfect and amazing for your wedding! I can't wait to hear more about your planning and then see pics!!! Good luck pinkie.gif

Neen: No worries! We're all different and have different needs for our weddings. Ours will only be about 10-20 people too. 100 is a completely different ball-game.

I read the posts to FI and he admitted he hadn't thought about that (the repairs on the property - or them not doing them).. but I think we're still good to go with the Shangri-La.

Thanks for the good luck wishes and same to you!

Afriday.gif

• 2 weeks later...

We're booked!!!smile29.gif

And the wedding date is.... (drumroll)... 12.12.08! Friday, December 12, 2008.

I can't wait!smile159.gif

The wedding date is booked, the judge is booked and our room is booked. Phew! Now we have to book our airline ticket. We're hoping some cheaper flights open up (the charter airlines should be posting any day now).

We just got married on ther beach in Tulum last weekend and we had many of our guests stay at Shangri-La and everyone was very happy. We live right down the street and we walk through the public access point through Shangri-La all the time. So far nothing has changed and it's still a top-notch resort. We also had several guests at Pueblito Escondido right nest door and everyone was super happy there. It's on the public access point at the beach and they have two pools, one on the roof that is super amazing. Be sure to offer your guests this alternative. The rooms are huge with a full kitchen.

• 8 months later...

When I talked to the ladies at the Turquoise Reef Group in Summer 2008, they said weddings weren't being booked beyond Spring 2009. When we were visiting Shangri-La Caribe in December 2009, we were told by the staff at the front desk that there were no plans to shut down and there have been rumors in the past few years about that.

Mexico Beach Resorts and Hotel Reservations - the Turquoise Reef Group

The best thing is to contact them again to confirm one way or another.